Pictures You Dislike That Have Stars You Like ( Very Much )

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
ken123

Pictures You Dislike That Have Stars You Like ( Very Much )

Post by ken123 »

What Price Glory ? - Directed by John Ford, starring James Cagney
Out of the Fog - Starring John Garfield
The Dough Girls -Starring Ann Sheridan
A Womans Secret -Starring Maureen O' Hara
The Great Mans Lady -Starring Barbara Stanwyck
Day & Night -Starring Cary Grant

Now for stars who you dislike, but films that you liked:
Warren Beatty Bugsy
Van Johnson Miracle in the Rain
Vecchiolarry

Re: Pictures You Dislike That Have Stars You Like ( Very Much )

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Great topic!!

Stars I dislike:
1) Frank Sinatra (detest actually!)
But very good in "The Manchurian Candidate" and "The Man with the Golden Arm"....

2) Richard Burton
Good in "The Night of the Iguana" and "Becket"

Larry
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

There are very many I feel that way about but then again every movie critic in the world has commented that way.

Night and Day with Cary Grant really annoyed me. It is the Story of Cole Porter and Grant portrayed him as being an angry, selfish, and lonely man for his entire life. I cannot believe anyone who wrote such beautiful music as Porter did actually was in that mental state. Whether he was gay or not has nothing to do with it. In the final scene of the movie he meets up with his Ex (Alexis Smith) and while she is thrilled to see him Grant looked like he was about to shove a knife in her back. Grant hardly smiled in the whole movie. I do not know if this was direction or Grant was in a personal problem mode. But it was very distracting for me. And I personally love to watch Bio Movies about music composers. I have no talent in that way but always dreamed and imagined myself as an artistic piano playing composer. I do not play the piano nor carry a tune. But I aspired to do that. Oh well!
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Gary Cooper AND Ernst Lubitsch...Design for Living

I love them both, but I don't love Gary so much in comedies and this movie just doesn't
have any laughs or sparkle for me. Not even the provenance of Noel Coward. I'm not
a big Miriam Hopkins fan, either, though I like how Lubitsch handles her in The Smiling
Lieutenant
and Trouble in Paradise.

Oh, and speakign of Coward, I am only slowly warming to the screen adaptation
of his PRIVATE LIVES starrring my beloved Bobby Montgomery. I find the movie
shrill and unfunny, or used to. Last time I watched it about a year ago, it was
a little better. I just couldn't imagine NOT liking it since I do like the play and
all the people involved. Maybe the direction leaves me flat, I don't even remember
who directed it.

I like Cary Grant but don't care for the movies he did with Betsy Drake.

All in all, though, I generally find I don't dislike much from my favorites, not pre-1960s
stuff they did, anyway. there are performers I don't care for in the classic era, and
styles of films that don't entertain me as much as others, but not much I can't really stand.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I didn't like Night and Day even though I really wanted to. Porter and Grant, it should be magic.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

I used to think Gary Cooper could do no wrong, and looked forward with great anticipation to Ball of Fire (1941). The film promised everything: screenplay by Billy Wilder, directed by Howard Hawks, Barbara Stanwyck as a nightclub entertainer on the lam, all those excellent character actors in supporting roles, etc. etc. Despite all those trappings, I found the film annoying and hard to watch all the way through. I usually have the patience to hang in there with Cooper during his prolonged screen moments of befuddlement vis-a-vis the "romantic interest." But in this one, I just wasn't with him. Maybe it's because the factor hampering his character was his cloistered erudition, rather than his usual rustic simplicity. He delivered his lines as though he was making a foreign language film, mastering the phonetics line by line before each take. I've been reluctant to watch him in anything after that, afraid that I'll just pick him apart scene by scene.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Vecchiolarry, I'm a Sinatra fan so I'm wondering...

Did you have a real-life encounter with Sinatra that did not go well?

Or is there just something about him you don't like? I'm curious to find out why you detest him. :)
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Yes, I had two bad experiences with Mr. Sinatra, both on the set of "Show Boat" while visiting Kathryn, Agnes and Ava....
I was 9 and he pushed me away from Ava, snarling, "Beat it kid" the first time; Ava cooed to me, "Run along, baby, Ava still loves you"...
And throwing me to the ground (I hit my head on a camera stand) the second time a week later....
Lillian Burns took me to her office and comforted me (she was a 'mother-hen' to everyone at MGM) and later Kathryn Grayson told my grandmother.
My grandmother several weeks later gave Frankie a 'Jack Dempsey' to the jaw at a big function and sent him flying... She then proceeded to trash the whole Sinatra clan, especially Dolly Sinatra ("a dirty abortionist') & ('a filthy baby killer'), all over town...
She personally bitched out Harry Cohn for giving Sinatra that role in "From Here to Eternity" instead of Eli Wallach....

On another note, she was a great friend and promoter of Dean Martin, whom she privately adored!!

Larry