Funniest TV Moments & Performances

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MissGoddess

Re: Funniest TV Moments & Performances

Post by MissGoddess »

Wow!! That is an incredible price. I think I paid that much for just TWO seasons alone.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Only Les could have had that happen.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

"Oh the humanity!"

Favorite episode. Wish I could see it again for the first time!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

One of the joys in life is laughing at the things you aren't supposed to.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

JackFavell wrote:One of the joys in life is laughing at the things you aren't supposed to.
The best ever example of this is the Mary Tyler Moore episode about the funeral of Chuckles the clown.... I remember laughing so hard I lost my breath.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

One of my favorite performances is on the old "Dick Van Dyke Show." It's the episode where Laura gives birth to Richie. Rob sleeping in his suit and trying to knock a few seconds off his time by working with his hat are wonderful bits of fun.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

That's my favorite episode of DICK VAN DYKE, and just about the funniest thing I've ever seen. If you watch closely, you'll even see Van Dyke almost break up as he drops the phone into his pants! Fifty years old and still the funniest thing on TV.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That one is wonderful. my daughter loves it because he does so much physical comedy.

She likes it too when he sneezes. Dick Van Dyke is one of the best comic sneezers ever.

For YEARS before video I remembered one of the skits he did for the Alan Brady show, all by himself...where he just uses office supplies - a penknife that ends up cutting him, stepping into the wastebasket, etc. I don't even think it was one of the better episodes, but that routine stuck in my little kid brain for most of my life.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm with whoever it was who said there were very few Dick Van Dyke shows that were not supremely funny and entertaining. My favorite was the package that was delivered to Rob after Laura had promised not to open his mail and that box sitting in the living room was almost literally killing her with curiosity.

The funniest thing I saw however, was the Carol Burnett skit about the green velvet dress made from the curtains, and including the curtain rod.

For anyone who wants a really good laugh though, try PBS, Channel 11 on Saturday night at 7:30 Keeping Up Appearances. The woman on that show literally has me gasping for breath on a weekly basis. Just before that show at 7:00 p.m. is another called As Time Goes By, and just the normal everyday dialog between the couple saying things we say to our mates all the time, but with the inflection and facial expressions they use often have me laughing out loud. I often make myself stop laughing before my neighbors come over to see what's wrong with me.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Not many people may know the show but "Red Green" is a show from Canada that had a long run and sometimes appears on PBS stations.

Think of it as lodge brothers meet do it yourself shows. One of the funniest bits I recall was about cooling a Christmas dinner on your way to you relatives using your car as the kitchen. (The idea may be funnier than the execution but it's fun.)

[youtube][/youtube]
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Dick Van Dyke all by himself...where he just uses office supplies - a penknife that ends up cutting him, stepping into the wastebasket, etc.

Wendy, that side splitting, perfectly timed bit of hilarity was a "lecture" on how sophisticated audiences no longer laugh at a person in pain! Intended to be performed by Alan Brady. Demonstrated, of course, by Mr. Petrie; all the while tripping, stabbing, stumbling all over the office! Positively the finest, most precise and funniest slapstick I have ever seen! No exceptions!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, red! Gosh, I'm glad it was as funny as I remembered it. For a long time, I thought I dreamed that episode! I must have been under 7 years old when I saw it first, more than likely around 4 or 5. It imprinted on my mind as one of my earliest memories, along with the giant spider in The Thief of Bagdad and the beginning of It Happened One Night, which I waited a good deal of my adult life to finally get to see, only to realize I recognized it from watching at an extremely young age.

OMG, Chris! I've never seen Red Green before but that was hilarious!