Win Win

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
pvitari

Win Win

Post by pvitari »

The movie Win Win, starring Paul Giamatti, and directed by Tom McCarthy, takes place in.... MY HOME TOWN OF NEW PROVIDENCE, NEW JERSEY.

YAY!

Borough of New Providence, NJ. Settled in 1720.
http://www.newprov.org/

I haven't lived there since I was 18 and went off to college, but one never truly leaves one's home town, at least not in spirit. My brother and sister have also decamped -- brother to Chicago, sister to Manhattan. My parents still live there, though, in the house they bought in 1966 (their second in the town; they had originally moved there in the mid-50s.)

Tom McCarthy is a hometown boy who went to the high school around the same time as my sister.

I love watching the trailer with Giamatti wearing a sweatshirt that says "New Providence Pioneers." (The Pioneers is the name of our sports teams.)

The disappointing aspect watching the trailer though is it's immediately obvious that for some reason they didn't actually film Win Win in New Providence -- or at least the scenes in the trailer weren't.

Apparently they did a lot of shooting on Long Island. I will be looking hard for glimpses of the real New Providence when I see the movie this weekend when it opens here (way down south in Atlanta).

Win Win trailer
[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Re: Win Win

Post by klondike »

pvitari wrote: I haven't lived there since I was 18 and went off to college, but one never truly leaves one's home town, at least not in spirit.
Careful, Paula . . .
8) . . . sometimes, you even up & move back . . even 30 years later . . :wink:

{Never say never!}
pvitari

Re: Win Win

Post by pvitari »

LOL, Klondike! At this point it's not in the cards, but there are certainly worse places to live than New Providence, which is a very pretty community with a lot of history. My parents live about two minutes from that famous huge Bell Labs complex, though I think it's now called "Lucent." It's in a section of town called Murray Hill. And New Providence is very conveniently located to NYC -- you can get there in 45 mins or so (depending on traffic), and there is both bus and train transportation into Manhattan. We loved going into the city to catch a show when I was a kid. By the time I was a teenager, though, Times Square was looking like Taxi Driver territory -- and yet I never experienced any hassle ever, though the "sights" had gotten to be quite eye-popping. :)

But would you believe there's not a single movie theater in New Providence? You have to go out of town to catch a flick. :) My mom is dying to see Win-Win but she says she's going to have to wait, because as soon as it opens in a theater nearby the crowds will be enormous for the first few days and she wants to avoid the crush. ;) Fortunately here in Atlanta I don't think everyone will be rushing to see it in quite the same way. :)