Could you justify puttin' it on your weekly schedule?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Could you justify puttin' it on your weekly schedule?

Post by Lzcutter »

Just a brief reminder for everyone who watches Raylen Givens, Boyd and Ava Crowder and everyone else on *Justified*-

Our favorite Timothy Oliphant show returns to the airwaves on Tuesday, January 7th!

Check your local FX listings for times!

I am hoping that Constable Bob returns for a show or three this season!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'll have to record it. With season 4 having just come out on DVD I have some catching up to do.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

Season 4 is my second favorite season. Season 2 with Margo Martindale as Mags is my favorite.

Everyone in Season 4 is hitting on all cylinders.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm through disc 1 of season 4. It feels more like season 2 and that's good. I need more or Art Mullen in these shows. The smart aleck attitudes with him and Raylen are priceless.

I don't really remember Raylen taking up with the new girl and Eva being a big shot with Boyd (I do remember the shootout at her house where she was hurt) but getting caught up was easy and so far so good.

I do love the idea in ep. 1 of Raylen shooting the air bag to make it go off when he was after the guy. Patton Oswalt is terrific and a Gremlin fits him perfectly.
Chris

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

I, too, love the relationship between Art an Raylen and any time they have scenes together, I'm a happy camper. Tim, the other guy in the squad, has some good scenes later in Season 4.

Boyd and Ava seem truly in love and I think you'll be surprised where that story goes before the end of the season.

Another great addition to that season is Jim Beaver and Gerald McRainey is in a few episodes as well.

All in all, from the scripts to the acting to the directing, it's a can't miss season!

Can't wait till you've seen more!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm through disc 2 and wow is it confusing. This whole Drew Thompson thing is quite a tangle of people and leads. Oh, and the body count seems way up. It's interesting and I have one more disc to go. Will update.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My goodness it was hard to keep up with all this. More language, a bigger body count and a sometimes hard to follow line is more than made up with fine performances and pretty terrific writing.

Off to season 5.

Any more thoughts on 4 before we go?
Chris

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

I agree the Drew Thompson story line especially as it intersected the Theo and Sammy story line got a tad convoluted but as you noted the acting was top notch.

**************POTENTIAL SPOILERS for those who come later**************************

I totally loved Raylan's partner, Tim, and his interactions with Boyd's war vet friend. Gave Tim some major back story that I was happy for.

Also, as I have said before I loved Constable Bob. At the beginning of the season, you think he is just going to be the occasional comic relief but as the season thunders along, Constable Bob proves himself beyond worthy. The scenes with him and Raylan talking through the door to Boyd and the hired guns from Detroit was priceless. And if memory serves, it was Constable Bob who came up with the idea of how to get Drew out of Harlan without getting killed.

Speaking of Drew, I loved Jim Beaver in the role. My only regret is that his storyline has come to an end and we won't be seeing him anymore.

And anytime Wynn Duffy is around, I'm a happy camper.

The other thing I totally loved were the scenes between Arlo and Raylan and the final scene of Raylan sitting in his yard, drinking a beer, looking at the graves and Dave Alvin singing You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive was almost chilling.

Am enjoying season 5 so far. Love Dewey Crowe (is there anyone lacking for brains more than Dewey Crowe).

The bad news is that next season, season 6, will be the final season for the show. Everyone connected with the show has decided to go out on top rather than wear out their welcome.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I really liked Constable Bob as well and I think it was a brilliant stroke to limit his appearances. Too much of him and it changes the focus. The scene where he gets beaten and keeps coming up with all those Drew puns and finding a way to fight back was really good. As tough as anyone there. You are right he did have the idea to get Drew out.

I was surprised that Arlo, scum that he is, didn't survive the show. No tears from Raylan but I still think there is some fondness for him.

In the episode where the three men come to get Winona had me baffled because I still can't figure where she got the gun to shoot the guy who was holding her. It must have been his gun but there is no action where she takes it.

It's hard to believe that Boyd hasn't had a return visit to jail with all he has done and with Raylan knowing about it but if he oges you don't have much of a show. Kind of surprised also that Raylan wasn't suspended before now. But like Boyd there isn't going to be much going on.

Ron Eldard was great. Interesting character and well played by Ron.

No more Ellen May either. At times alternately dumb and smart. Maybe realistic about her situation may be more appropriate. Abby Miller did well.

I've recorded the first two episodes of season 5 so they await. Looking forward to more Dewey. When this is all over maybe I'll have to have the collection but it sure has been fun watching.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Two episodes into season 5 I am struck by two things. It is nice to see some of the old crew back in things (why the return?) but also that the story feels more like the first two seasons and season 4. Season 3 seems more of a diversion now comparatively.

Maybe other shows have done but to a lesser degree about have the story arc over a whole season. Watching shows in order has come to be more of the norm, though it is fairly new to me. You just can't really pick up season 2 here and have any real idea what has gone on to this point. "Longmire," our other favorite works similarly. I guess the day of the original "Law and Order" where everything usually happens in one episode are on their way out of the drama world.

All caught up except for last night.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Justified: on your weekly schedule?

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm six or seven episodes in and I'm having reservations about this year. I think it's slowed quite a bit. I've practically given up on the Eva being in jail story line. Bod in Mexico needs some help and Raylan has less going on lately. I hope it picks up some as it got off to a pretty good start.

Have you been watching Lynn?
Chris

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

I am behind, way behind! But, I am hoping next week to get caught up! Have to get stuff off the DVR before April and the next deluge of shows I watch hits!

As soon as I start getting caught up, I'll post here! I promise!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Oh, I know you'd come when you have a chance. I certainly understand. I think it's just you and me anyway.
Chris

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

WHOO-HOO!!!!!

Sam Elliot joins the cast of Justified for its final season!!!!

From the Hollywood Reporter:

Elliott will portray Markham, a legendary Kentucky gangster who returns from exile with a private army and a lot of cash — thanks to the legal weed he grew in Colorado — determined to win back his empire and lost love Katherine Hale (Mary Steenburgen). His quest is thwarted by Katherine herself, who secretly believes Markham brought down her husband. He isn't exactly chummy with Raylan (Timothy Olyphant) either.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... oin-734339

Can't wait!!!!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I adore Mary Steenburgen!