Could you justify puttin' it on your weekly schedule?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Could you justify puttin' it on your weekly schedule?

Post by movieman1957 »

Well now. Maybe The Bride will watch it after all.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I just watched NCIS NEW ORLEANS - Starring Scott Bakula and I find this show very good and quite entertaining and have a great cast of actors/actresses on board. Scott played Dwayne Pride.

I just wanted to share that with all of you here and I will be definitely watching it again next Tuesday Night.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Justified fans!

Don't forget, Raylan, Boyd and Ava return (with Sam Elliot, Mary Steenburgen and the always watchable Jere Burns (Wynn Duffy) along for the ride to the end of the series) this Tuesday, Jan. 20th, on FX!

Set those DVRs now!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Mine was set a week ago. Finally, something I can watch.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Episode 1 looks like it will mostly set up the season. Nice to see Art back if only for one scene. I hope he gets more involved as it goes. One big surprise happens.

Boyd's new line of work isn't any more legal than the last one but it suits him better. There is a nostalgic quality to the mindset of most of the episode which sort of humanizes some of the characters but that only lasts so long.

Same Elliott shows up next week. I read an interview where Timothy Olyphant has basically been ripping off Sam's style and told him so. This season Timothy feels he gets found out that all this wasn't him and we'll know he has been channeling Elliott for years.

On to week 2.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I just saw Timothy Olyphant in a movie. A hard-edged comedy comedy called THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Well, hasn't it been interesting? There are times when a lot is going on and times when not much is going on. At times it is hard to follow but it hasn't been dull.

What a treat to see Sam Elliott in his role. In the scene he had with Raylen in episode 4 or 5 and then the one with Art in episode 7 there is a lot going on where it is more than the dialogue.

One crazy note was I picked up that Walker's (Dillahunt) car has Maryland license plates. It is bogus, obviously, as the number/letter combination is wrong. It brought up a question in whether I missed something. I don't recall any notes about him being from Maryland. I guess I'll have to watch it again.

Mary Steenburgen has been a pretty scary too. It is good to see it be back to Raylen and Boyd with the other stuff thrown in for flavoring.

5 to go.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

And so it ends.

The finale was not what I expected but I'm not sure how it could have been any other way. It was circular, nostalgic and proper. Some things in this show run deep.

The whole series made for exciting television. It was brutal and bloody and often very funny. It helps when everyone is a smart ass. Most of the characters were quite memorable, especially the bad people. Margo Martindale, Same Elliott and Neil McDonough played some first class evil people over the years. Nick Searcy was wonderful for being the boss and the father figure to Raylan. He loved him but didn't take any crap from him. He certainly taught Raylen a thing or two. Too often in the last two years, in my opinion, he was missing. Some of the best scenes that didn't involve Boyd Crowder where Art and Raylan verbally knock each other around. Often it was important what was not said but understood between them.

Well written, nearly always, well performed, always, what more can you ask?

With its passing I guess I get to do two things. Wait for "Longmire" and/or start again. I think there may be time for both.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I miss Elmore Leonard a little bit. Not just for his Raylan stories, but the whole Elmore Leonard canon. He wasn't my favorite crime writer. May have been overrated. But his was a unique voice, and almost always entertaining.