Open mouth - - Insert foot?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Open mouth - - Insert foot?

Post by mrsl »

I'm just wondering if I'm the only fussy grumbler here who is sick and tired of hearing about Charlie Sheen on the nightly news? Perhaps if he wasn't getting so much attention, he would slow down and get himself into a rehab program and stay there until he completed it unlike the other times he went in and left within days. I often watch the last few minutes of Entertainment Tonight on Tuesday night, killing time until NCIS is on, but on that show, I expect info about Charlie, the show is a gossip magazine about celebrities, so it belongs there, but Charlie does not belong next to a story about the middle East, or Social Security, or stolen identity, etc. I felt the same way about Jackson last year with weeks of who, what, why and where about his death. The way Elizabeth Taylor was handled was perfect. They showed a few photos, and clips of her, gave very quick synopsis of her life, said their goodbyes, and announced when their station would be holding tributes to her. Neat, Respectful, and not in your face. If you cared, you could listen and make a mental note, if not, you could go and make a pit stop, but it was your decision. I cannot believe people are buying tickets to his live show (atually buying out). They must be the ones who slow up traffic on the freeway to gawk at an accident, or come to a complete stop. Anyway, I'll stop now, just venting a little because on the local news, the story was about a guy close to my neighborhood peeking in windows, but they left saying, 'we'll be back with more after the break', but instead they came back with how much Charlie got from his Chicago appearances. ggggrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhh.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Re: Open mouth - - Insert foot?

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Same here MRSL ... I saw that too. I turned on CBS for 12 minutes before NCIS comes on and watch the same thing you did. So, you are not alone here. I support you 100%.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

As long as the media (from old fashioned newsprint to electronic to the internet) can exploit Charlie Sheen for readership numbers they will continue to do so.

The other side of the coin is Charlie Sheen, an actor in the midst of a very public meltdown. The meltdown resulted in Two and a Half Men's production schedule being truncated and its crew thrown out of work. In addition, Sheen was ultimately fired from the show.

His parents and siblings sound as if they are at its wits end in trying to get Sheen to realize he needs help. They find themselves at that all too tragic spot where they realize that no matter how much they want to help Sheen, until he accepts that he needs help, it is all for naught. They can't force him to realize that. Why? Because Sheen's addictions are ruling his life. And as long as Sheen denies he has an addiction problem, he is not going to admit that he needs help.

The question quickly becomes which will happen first:

1) Will Sheen finally come to his senses and get the help he truly needs?

2) Or will he continue to spiral down and continue to be exploited by various media in pursuit of eyes and ratings until something tragic happens? If it goes this route, in the aftermath, there will be plenty of mea culpas by the media and the overused idea that they will examine what went wrong and promise to make changes so that it doesn't happen again.

Which will last as long as it takes for the cycle to repeat itself when the next celebrity attempts a very public meltdown rather than admit they need help.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

My feeling is that Charlie Sheen is mentally ill and no rehab is required or effective here. He should be in an institution before he hurts someone that is not himself. He has shown he can be violent. If he is not in restraints I am afraid for someone's life.

He started his stage tour in Detroit and bombed out. Here is the media article about it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/cha ... d=13284622
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Sad to say it, but Sheen is at the top of several "Dead" pools. He will either kill himself or someone else if he doesn't get the help he so desperately needs. Would everyone be following his destruction if he was just another guy in trouble, or would he already be in some kind of care facility? Very sad indeed.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

It is a sad commentary on mortals that throngs of people will gather to celebrate the life or downfall of celbrities in trouble. Lohan, Spears, and others can draw thousands of people to watch them. Bad Girl Snookie from Jersey Shore TV Show just got a $32,000 paycheck for two one hour question and answer sessions at Rutgers University.

As Shakespeare said in "Midsummer Night's Dream" - "What Fools We Mortals Be".
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I think people are fascinated by a mental breakdown...we've all seen them in our families, friends or co-workers and sometimes you don't know that's what's coming. It's a little more obvious when it's a rich celebrity rants on national media instead a mere mortal calling his friends one at time in the middle of the night. I hope he gets the help he needs...or cycles back down. Winning....shmimming.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I agree he should be in an institution somewhere but he must go in on his own steam. I've experienced mental problems in my family and friends and I've learned that no matter how much you talk to the person, untill he or she is ready to ask for help, nothing can force them. Luckily most of my immediate problems have been in the area of alcoholism, but there have been one or two "Charlie" types of problems also, but because of what I just said here (about forcing help), it compounds what I said earlier about people buying tickets to his show. In Detroit they must have seen the news items about him and how he was ranting, so what did they expect? Now the dullards here in Chicago have bought out the stadium, what chumps!!!! All I can assume is that those people are hoping to see a complete meltdown on stage -- What kind of ghouls are they? If they were fans, I would expect them to wish him to get well, and if they were not fans, then they ARE idiots stopping traffic to see an accident.

BTW, thanks for your input. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees growing illness in the man.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************