All My Children, One Life to Live Cancelled.

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

All My Children, One Life to Live Cancelled.

Post by Lzcutter »

I don't know which is worse, the changing face of daytime television that puts not only a number of actors and crew members out of work (especially the actors in NYC who worked on soaps during the day and on Broadway the rest of the time) or the fact that the obits for both shows refer to both shows as 40-years-old. I was barely a teenager when both soaps hit the air waves in the late 1960s/early 1970s. I feel old, thank you mainstream media.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110415/E ... y=nav|head
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Re: All My Children, One Life to Live Cancelled.

Post by movieman1957 »

I've never watched either of these but the whole deal of soaps were often a subject of sarcasm for me but with what they are replacing them with there might be even more to comment on. It is not like anything is new and innovative.

Don't audiences get tired of watching people talk sitting on a sofa. I'll give the soaps this - at least there was some creativity going on. Now they'll get to watch yet another show about people losing weight and a food show. Just what they need.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:I've never watched either of these but the whole deal of soaps were often a subject of sarcasm for me but with what they are replacing them with there might be even more to comment on. It is not like anything is new and innovative.

Don't audiences get tired of watching people talk sitting on a sofa. I'll give the soaps this - at least there was some creativity going on. Now they'll get to watch yet another show about people losing weight and a food show. Just what they need.
I think the talk shows that seem to be everywhere are comparatively cheap to produce and heaven knows there are enough alleged celebrities eager to talk about themselves. Why people would want to watch them is the mystery.

I haven't watched any soap operas since Ryan's Hope went off the air decades ago, but it sure looks bleak for actors, who used to find those soaps as a place to get started on a career and those who were looking for a regular gig after their career slowed down. Do you guys think that this means that soap operas will no longer be made in the future?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree with all of you... I am not a soap fan, though I have watched a few of them in my time, strangely enough starting with Ryan's Hope...

But what they are replacing them with is such poor programming I really don't understand how anyone would want to sit through it. I feel terribly sad that soap operas are going by the wayside. I can only think that this will result in poorer movies and TV shows, due to the lack of a place for young actors and technicians to learn their craft.

Some things I will remember in my limited watching of these two soaps:

All My Children:

Ruth Warrick as Phoebe Tyler - she was always a hoot to watch -- and I'll admit it, I saw her here first. Imagine my young surprise to find her in Citizen Kane!

Julia Barr as Brooke (from AMC), whose evil knew no bounds, neither did her gorgeous hair.

Frances Heflin as Mona

Eileen Herlie as Myrtle Fargate - another hoot!

Mark LeMura- he had a cute dimple and later showed up on an episode of one of the Star Treks

One Life to Live:

Erika Slezak as Victoria Lord

Al Freeman, Jr. as Ed Hall - reason enough to watch the show, no matter how briefly.

Somewhere, Judith Light is crying...again. Mascara is running down her face...just like in the old days.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Susan Lucci - All My Children Future Role?

I can see Susan Lucci going to Desperate Housewives - and guest star in that series ... she will fit in quite nicely I say.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's right! Jameson Parker WAS Brad....good memory, kingrat! His replacement never really captured that fair haired golden boy quality, but he was a good actor and carried Brad into darker territory.

Kingme, I imagine Susan Lucci will land on her feet,if she's anything like her long running character...I certainly see her among the Desperate Housewives....