BIN LADEN is Dead ... President Obama reported it.

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Rita Hayworth

BIN LADEN is Dead ... President Obama reported it.

Post by Rita Hayworth »

BIN LADEN IS OFFICIALLY DEAD

8:45 Pacific Standard Time ... MSNBC reported
President Obama reported that the World's Greatest Terrorist is now dead.

Killed by US Special Forces ... the Rangers ... my dear friend who is a three-star general sent me an e-mail confirming it.
He can't disclose any more information ... watch your local cable and satellite provider for more information.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/asi ... 65589.html
klondike

Re: BIN LADEN is Dead ... President Obama reported it.

Post by klondike »

kingme wrote:
Killed by US Special Forces ... the Rangers ...
KM, "US Special Forces" & the Rangers are really two distinctly different animals - back when I was in an Airborne unit in Southeast Asia, Special Forces had practically no authorized overlap with any Rangers, nor did we consider them connected to us by function or similarity; we called them 'speck-op boys', or more descriptively, 'deep incursionaries'.
Although Rangers are certainly well-trained for stealth-related combat, and covert approach strategies, their actual missions are much more likely to be in the realm of targeted offensive engagements, especially when it involves HALO parachute drops [high-altitude, low-opening], or trapped-personnel extraction.
Listen closely to further reports, or read them carefully - if Rangers were utilized (which, again, I doubt), a specific numbered Airborne unit will be referenced.
Despite all their unique training & skills, Rangers are still considered 'Regular Army'.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

If only Bin Laden's death could result in peace or ease the absence of fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters and friends for those who were lost on 9/11 and in all that has come since then.

Btw, the Bin Laden operation was actually credited to the Navy Seals in news reports.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." Pres. G.W.Bush, September 20, 2001.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Good news indeed. Now they need to go after all those Imams who are the ones initiating & spreading the hatered of the West.
Bury bin Laden and the rest in the local outhouse; that's all the respect they deserve....

Larry
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

klondike wrote:
kingme wrote:
Despite all their unique training & skills, Rangers are still considered 'Regular Army'.
Should had known better. It was a mistake on my part. And, re-reading my friend's e-mail ... Moria told everyone here ... that USN Seals ... deserve (huge) credit too. Thanks for sharing that ... Moria.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I for one (and I'm not the only one) am a bit skeptical about this news. First, the president announces it at 11:30pm on a Sunday night. Then the next morning, news services announce that Bin Laden will be buried at sea according to Islamic traditions -- when Islamic tradition is very much against burial at sea unless the person has died while at sea and cannot be brought onto land in time for burial (one, two) I don't mean to sound ghoulish, but without some kind of evidence such as a video recording, then we have no proof that he was killed. He might still be alive, or might have died years ago and we don't know about it. So far, all we have is the U.S. president's word on this. :?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I have rad they buried him at sea because no other country would take his body and/or they didn't want a burial site for people to be able to visit. The sea was convenient because Muslim tradition apparently requires burial within 24 hours.

They'll provide evidence. I think this is too big to try and put one over on the world.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Reports on CNN mentioned that to verify identity, Bin Laden's DNA was compared to that of his deceased sister's brain tissue, which was saved when she died of cancer in Boston several years ago. I suspect that there will be some grotesque photographs of his body issued eventually, though for the hydra-headed terrorist organizations around the world and others, this may not be adequate.

Re: burial at sea
According to the Guardian online "Burial at sea is rare in Islam, though several Muslim websites say it is permitted in certain circumstances.

One is on a long voyage where the body may decay before the ship reaches land. The other is if there is a risk of enemies digging up a land grave and exhuming or mutilating the body – a rule that could plausibly be applied in Bin Laden's case.

For sea burial, according to alislam.org, the body should be lowered into the water 'in a vessel of clay or with a weight tied to its feet". The website adds: 'As far as possible it should not be lowered at a point where it is eaten up immediately by the sea predators.'"
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

kingme wrote:
klondike wrote:
kingme wrote:
Should had known better. It was a mistake on my part. And, re-reading my friend's e-mail ... Moria told everyone here ... that USN Seals ... deserve (huge) credit too. Thanks for sharing that ... Moria.
That was me, KM - Moira served in the CIA.
:wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am quite sure that they have taken enough evidence to prove beyond a doubt that it was Bin Laden... apparently they have audio and video of the entire operation, though I doubt that would be released. I am pretty confident that the administration knew that there would be doubt, and wouldn't want anyone questioning that it was all made up.

The most moving person I have seen was a gentleman whose name I do not know, he lost family in the 9/11 attacks, who said that though no one will experience real closure, at least this man's personal evil has been taken out of the world.

I do hope that someone will re-broadcast the President's speech in whole rather than just taking sound bites - it's worth hearing.

What I am appreciating today first of all, are those men and women who took this incredible, dangerous ground mission.Then I am truly in awe of the groups who thoroughly investigated the information in order to make sure beyond a reasonable doubt that Bin Laden was there. They wanted no slip-ups or mistakes. The entire mission was all about restraint, so no taint of prejudice affected it. The carefully detailed mission included backup so that our people were not left on the ground with no escape. No mistakes were made in targeting a specific individual mass murderer who needed to be wiped from the face of the earth.

A just man is wiser because he acknowledges the principle of limit.

- Socrates
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's good news for all of us, my children weren't born when 9/11 happened although they've watched the news footage today. I admit this morning I was sceptical, not because I didn't believe the President but because I could see people in future claiming it was a con for lack of evidence, now I gather there is a lot of evidence and the President watched the whole attack minute by minute at the White House. I hope Obama can silence the conspriacy theorists once an for all with the evidence without having to show any gory footage to the world.

It's taken time but at last he's got his comeuppance. I hope that it brings some relief to the thousands of families who've experienced the death of their loved ones at the hands of his followers.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Jack F: In reference to your wish to see Obama's speech in its entirety, I would say I would rather hear his words from the correspondents dinner where he verbally cut the Donald to pieces, knowing that as he was speaking, the covert operation was in progress. How difficult it was, I wonder, for him to keep a straight face and not smile at the knowledge he was holding secret.

I can't help rejoicing in the death of this person, but more than that, I rejoice at the completion of a job well done by the navy seals, and their participation in a mistake-free operation.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I saw that Ann, the Donald didn't look too pleased.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Like this?

[youtube][/youtube]