Seve RIP

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Seve RIP

Post by stuart.uk »

In the early hours of this morning golfer Seve Ballesteros sadly died at the young age of 54 of a brain tumour.

Seve after his operations back in 2008 appeared on the road to recovery, even hinting at one point he would try and play at last yrs British Open at St. Andrews. However, I began t become concerned when it was changed to him just playing in the one-off 4 hole challage for past champions, (the event was cancelled due to bad weather) only for Doctors insisting he pull out.

It said a lot for him that golf broadcaster Peter Alliss and Strictly Come Dancing presenter and celeb golfer Bruce Forsyth got out of their beds and gave early morning interviews over the phone. Forsyth said Seve not only lit up a room when he entered, but also a golf course.

Seve first burst on the scene at the 1976 British Open when as 19-yr-old he finshed 2nd to American Johnny Miller. His style of play reminded everyone of the great Arnold Palmer.

To be fair Tony Jacklin carried the flag for European golf between 1969/72, but no-one followed his example, but Seve by winning 3 British Opens and 2 Masters titles inspired Nick Faldo, Sandy Lyle, Berhart Langer, Ian Woosnam and fellow Spaniard Jose Marie Olazabel to global success in Major Championships. His success also gave Europe the self belief it could beat America in Ryder Cups, an event the U.S used to dominate for a number of yrs.

Seve's legacy contines with the Major successes last yr of European golfers, Graeme McDowell and Martin Kaymer

He will be sadly missed
charliechaplinfan

Re: Seve RIP

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I was sad when I heard about Seve this morning, I'm no sports fan but couldn't avoid seeing him on a golf course in his heyday, he had a great aura about him that made even me watch. It was way too early for him to go, Spain will be in mourning today.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin