Off Topic Personal HELP Requested.

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Off Topic Personal HELP Requested.

Post by mrsl »

I know this is in the wrong place, but this is the only group I talk with that is made up of family grounded members. Most of my politicos are college age, and/or 20's and 30's who don't yet have children.

Naturally the whole family was excited when my littlest angel got a letter in the mail saying her teacher nominated her for a trip to Washington D.C. for a Junior National Young Leaders Conference, however, the cost of the trip seemed inordinately high for a middle school spring trip, even by air travel. Now, after looking it up on Google, Yahoo search, and Ask, I'm even more confused than before. The price comes into consideration for everyone, but the comments on the conference itself seem to be about 50/50 % divided. Having attended several seminars myself, I know they are only as good as you work at making them work for you. Some say they're happy their kids went, while others say send the kid to a summer camp instead. Has anyone here ever had any contact with this conference? The seminars I attended were for adults only and we chose our own lectures and work shops, but I would expect a seminar for middle school scholars would be rigidly formatted with every minute scheduled, but this seems to be more on the students choice because these are 'honor' students. However, her dad and I don't believe 11 years is old enough to spend a whole week on her own, even in a school environment.

Has anyone had any first hand knowledge of this conference through your kids or grandkids? We're talking a couple of thousand dollars here which Dad doesn't mind paying if it will benefit her, but some call it a scam and if that is the case, a broken heart and/or hurt feelings is better caused now than any other problem a thousand miles from home.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ChiO

Re: Off Topic Personal HELP Requested.

Post by ChiO »

I realize that Wikipedia is hardly the most reliable source on the planet, but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Nat ... Conference

From the few other sites I perused, probably the same ones you saw, my impression is: it can be a valuable personal experience, but don't expect it to have value in terms of college admission or resume building.

Like the Academy Awards, the real honor is in being nominated.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

This is a for-profit company and IMHO, as someone who works at a university, it's a scam. You'd be better off spending the money taking the family on a well-planned trip to DC yourself.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, my two cents worth is this:
The world as we know it today is a scary place for ADULTS, and an eleven year old girl has no business being in it without a trusted family member to help guide her through it. Paula says scam, I say SCARY.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

It's a scary scam! :)

Throw that letter into the recycling bin.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

absolutely!!!! And, the more I thought about it, I should have said an eleven year old CHILD.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Anne, our children go for a week at the end of junior school aged 11, they go with plenty of teachers and go as a class together to a retreat, even then some parents demure to send their children. I wouldn't feel happy to send either of my children when they are 11. Hope it helps.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thank you to all of you. I didn't mean to make it sound as if we were sending her off alone, although re-reading it, it certainly sounds like it. No, her dad would definitely go along, but he's checking now about sleeping arrangements. Those of us who have attended seminars, know that they are what you make them. If you go with the intention of listening and learning, they can be very good and helpful. If you go with the intention of having a week away from Mom and Dad, that is a different thing. Yes, I probably read the same search info that you did, Chio, and I do get the impression that those who wanted to learn did so, but those who expected parties all night were disappointed.

Thank you so much for your responses. You have been very kind.

It's hard to know you HAVE to hurt your beloved little gal's feelings because a letter like that seems like such a proud thing especially such a well behaved child as she, who rarely needs any kind of rebuke, so is not used to being denied much.[/color]
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I hope it all turns out alright in the end, Anne. Children are very resilient, if you take the decision not to let her go her father could compensate her in some other way that would help towards her education and development.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin