Summer TV shows

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

Summer TV shows

Post by Lzcutter »

When I was younger, summer was a wasteland when it came to television. Reruns and not much else.

Today, that's all changed, thank the lord!

Shows I am enjoying:

The Closer with Kyra Sedgewick. I really enjoy the ensemble of this show. While this is the final season, we get ten episodes this summer, a few this winter and the final ones next summer so there will be more to look forward to come the fall. YAY.

Rizzoli and Isles with Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexandra. These two have great chemistry without which this show wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Memphis Beat with Jason Lee and Alfre Woodward. I really enjoyed this show last summer but the first couple of episodes this season haven't been the same. Luckily, tonight, it felt like the old Beat. Here's hoping that feeling sticks.

White Collar with Tim DeKay. Being a Carnivale fan from way back, I will watch Tim Dekay in almost anything (except that horrible post Carnivale HBO show) and this one has a terrific ensemble cast.

Warehouse 13 with Eddie McLintock. I like the new addition of Agent Jinx. It's preposterous but it's fun.

Falling Skies with Noah Wylie started out really strong in it's sci-fi alien invasion/WW2 homage storyline but the last couple of weeks have been difficult at best. I understand the need to build the community storyline up so they can blow it asunder later this summer (if that's really what happens) and up the stakes for all the characters but the community building is being done at the expense of the tension and conflict instead of complementing it.

Covert Affairs, Royal Pains and Burn Notice. Yeah, I enjoy "blue sky" programming in the summer and these fit that bill very nicely. Plus, like Tim Dekay, I will watch Bruce Campbell anytime, anywhere. I loved him in Brisco County back in the 1990s.

True Blood. Weird doings in Bon Temps, LA. This season it's witches and I am enjoying all the craziness except the extended storyline of Jason in Hot Shot.

Breaking Bad with Bryan Cranston returns on Sunday. YAY!!

I am heartbroken over the fact there is no Mad Men this summer and that I have to wait till next winter for my Don Draper and company fix.

Dexter is still to come.

And lastly, how come Hawthorne has turned into the most over-the-top show on this summer? It's never been a good show but last season it was at least a pleasant way to spend an hour. Now, each episode is more over the top than the previous one and with them throwing everything but the kitchen sink into the storyline, this show is train wreck about to happen.

Yeah, I know, I watch too much television. :roll:

How about you? Any thoughts (besides the fact I watch too much tv)?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Re: Summer TV shows

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

I'm with you on some of the shows of summer, like Hawthorne. I really enjoyed it in the beginning but maybe it's what you said about the kitchen sink, they lost me at the end of last season, and I did watch the first couple this season, but it's starting to get too smarmy.

Royal Pains: I love this one. I can't stand the brother but Div and the others make up for him.

Warehouse 13: I wasn't aware it had started again so I have to catch it on On Demand.

The Closer: I'm very unhappy to hear about this being it's last season. I will really miss it. I like the ensemble too and just think Jon Tenney is terrific. I've followed him since his early days on Stargate sg-1.

Haven: Starts Friday. I hope it stays like it was, but from the ads, it slooks like it may be changing to kind of crazy stuff. We'll see.

In Plain Sight: This one is my favorite and oddly enough, I have never liked Mary McCormack, but for some reason she shines in this show. And it never hurts to have nutzy momma Leslie Ann Warren pop up here and there.

Falling Skies: Sounds like something I would have watched but I never heard of it. I'll have to search it out to find its time and place.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was enjoying Falling Skies, but Mr. Favell was disappointed in it. I honestly don't care what the story is as long as I can watch Noah Wylie for an hour or two.

We've been watching Burn Notice, which is fun. I love Bruce Campbell but always think of him in The Evil Dead II -

"GIVE ME BACK MY HAND!"

Ash: [talking to mirror] I'm fine... I'm fine...
[Mirror Ash jumps out of the mirror and grabs Ash]
Mirror Ash: I don't think so. We just cut up our girlfriend with a chainsaw. Does that sound "fine"?

I swear, Burn Notice has the most remarkable people show up in the cast.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've seen a few "In Plain Sight" and they always strike me as being Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell in "His Girl Friday." Snappy comebacks and witty conversation and, when they get to it, a story. That's not a criticism it's just the flavor. I haven't seen that many.

I saw part of a "Royal Pains" and I was struck by everyone being so smart, attractive, successful and young. I'm jealous I guess.

Nancy, aren't you burned out on "NCIS" yet? I haven't seen one in a while until the other night when I ran out of things to watch I started with what seems like a 4 part finale. Not as many movie references for DiNozzo yet. Have some more to catch though.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Nope, not yet. Did the same thing with Bones. When I finally found myself watching an episode for the 5th time, I decided to break the habit. Plus, this season's final show was a real let down. The birth of Angela's baby was almost an afterthought, and Bones announcement was weird. I mean, how much time between 'lift-off' and this news was supposed to have elapsed? 30 minutes? Guess I feel cheated, after all these years of tease, not so much as a sweaty back!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: I didn't want to see EVERYTHING, but a little something would have been in order..... I know Emily Deschanel is expecting in real life, but this ending felt slapped together, just like the finale of JAG several years ago...

geez, do I sound like a dirty old lady???? geez.....
markfp

Post by markfp »

Although most folks are talking about cable shows, I've been enjoying COMBAT HOSPITAL which is a very well done Canadian series that ABC is running this summer. The story is about a Canadian army hospital in Afghanistan. The natural thing is to compare it with M*A*S*H, but it's not a comedy and doesn't try to deliver any "messages" like that show did. Good production values.

Most people don't realize that use of new shows in the summer is nothing new. In the early days, TV followed the pattern of radio with programs starting in September and running for 39 weeks with no repeats. During the summer a different show replaced it for 13 weeks. Of course, a lot of that was because most of the shows back then were done live so there wasn't anything to repeat.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Knitwit:

I was the same way about Bones. I saw every episode about 4 or 5 times each also and finally said "Enough". But somehow I missed the finale this season. How long ago was it? Maybe I can catch it on On Demand. Thanks a lot in advance for your answer if you can recall when it was.
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

Falling Skies airs on Sunday nights on TNT at 10:00 right after Leverage. I think we are five episodes in with another 5 to go. It's already been renewed for a second season next summer.

As for Bones, I'm a big fan as well. I think one reason they went the way did with the Booth and Brennan love scene off screen is that there was no way anything they did would match what most of their viewers had already imagined.

Just my guess.

And I think six to eight weeks passed between the night Mr. Nigel Murray left us and Brennan told Bones in the final scene of the season finale.

Bones had its season finale in the middle of May, I think.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, it was May 27 (I think) and the episode was "Change in the Game".
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Well, the summer is starting to wane but the summer shows, well, some of them are still in bloom and others are starting to wrap up.

Here's the scorecard so far:

Rizzoli and Isles: Renewed
Leverage: Renewed
Franklin and Bash: Renewed (why???)
Falling Skies: A great opener but eight episodes of less than stellar writing and lots of Kumbaya, the final two hour season finale reminded viewers that when the writers are firing on all cylinders, this war series can be good. Renewed.
The Closer: comes back in December and then wraps up next summer to make way for co-star Mary McDonnell's spinoff show.
Memphis Beat: season finale is this Tuesday, no word yet but the numbers look encouraging.
Hawthorne: season finale is this Tuesday. This season has been polarizing for long time fans and not in a good way. They've lost almost a million viewers from this time last year. No word yet on renewal but TNT only has one slot free so it will be a bake-off between this show and Memphis Beat. Jason Lee or Jada Pinkett? Which will TNT choose?

Warehouse 13 still has half a season to go but has been renewed for next summer.
Eurkea: had been promised a sixth season then the Syfy channel took it back. Cancelled.

White Collar: finished out their summer season with a game changing finale that changes Peter and Neal's relationship. The question is can they find their way back to the friendship that exists between them? Renewed.
Covert Affairs finished out their summer season with a terrific finale that found Annie coming clean with those she loves about her job. Renewed.
In Plain Sight one more, truncated final season.

True Blood: Strong season with lots of buzz, all of it deserved. Renewed.

Breaking Bad: Another strong season that sees Walter White barreling more towards an unremdemptive end and taking Jesse along with him with no regard to what all of this is doing to Jesse. In negotiations with AMC for a final season. Mr. Chips becomes Scarface, indeed.

To look forward to:

Psych

Walking Dead: They lost their show runner, Frank Darabont and budget cuts but we get more episodes this season. Begins in October and the trailer is strong.
Mad Men: Thanks to AMC's growing pains, we were denied their signature series this year but come winter, it returns and we have two more seasons to look forward to (and already negotiated).

I think Memphis Beat may win out over Hawthorne's everything but the kitchen sink terrible season of writing.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lzcutter wrote: To look forward to:

Mad Men: Thanks to AMC's growing pains, we were denied their signature series this year but come winter, it returns and we have two more seasons to look forward to (and already negotiated).
I miss this show ... this is one of my favorites ... thanks for sharing it.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Kingme,

One of my faves as well. Jon Hamm has signed for three more seasons so the conventional wisdom is that AMC will quietly negotiate a third season with creator Matthew Weiner and we will get three more after this.

Here's hoping.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Suits starring Gabriel Macht (I had the biggest crush on his father, Steven, when he was on Cagney and Lacy as Cagney's attorney boyfriend) has been renewed for a second season. Gina Torres (always great on Firefly) co-stars.

Color me happy.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Does anyone know anything about Haven yet? Iis it safe for next year? I was worried that it was taking off on a different arm, but actually, the 'troubles' as they call them, are better than ever. If you know anything, please note it here. Thanks!
Anne