TCM in UK to be Rebranded

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Charlie Chap

TCM in UK to be Rebranded

Post by Charlie Chap »

I hope this doesnt happen to us here in the US. Only a small portion of this article can be read without a sub.
http://www.c21media.net/news/alt_index. ... 012&area=5
The UK feed of Turner Broadcasting System's film network Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will be rebranded to reflect its new focus on younger...
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: TCM in UK to be Rebranded

Post by moira finnie »

You can't see anything without a subscription at that link you posted, Charlie, though there is a little more about this shift in the marketing strategy for the UK here. You can also see some samples of the kind of graphics the Brit version of TCM is doing here. TCM UK has been tilted toward edgier and more recent films for youthful audiences for some time, with the press noting this as long ago as 2009.
Charlie Chap wrote:I hope this doesnt happen to us here in the US.
There are no indications that TCM (owned by Time Warner) is planning on changing their marketing strategy here in America toward only young people. From my point of view it looks as though they are trying to have the network reflect the full range of Americans--older people, baby boomers, cineastes, generation x, y or whatever, youngsters, and families as well as singles. The main difference I see between now and say ten years ago is that TCM has recognized that they have an extremely loyal audience and they are trying to sustain and grow it. I see that they are ramping up their very sincere efforts to build the identification of their brand with film preservation, education as well as entertainment in recent years. The network has partnered more closely in recent years with major film archives, developed a line of formerly unavailable films on MOD DVD through the Warner Archive, had a second banner year for their now annual classic film festival, had touring screenings of classic films around the country, and is even trying to go the cruise route with a floating film festival this December.

I may be wrong, but I see a network that is blending aesthetic principles with the demands of the marketplace as best it can in the U.S. during difficult economic times.

In a recent article in the Arizona Republic about the Arabs in Film theme, head programmer Charlie Tabesh explained more.
Turner Classic Movies first went on the air in 1994 as one of magnate Ted Turner's projects. It currently has licensing agreements for 10,000 films. It always has shown its films commercial free, uncolorized and in the original aspect ratio, with absolute respect for the intentions of the filmmakers. TCM has backed film-restoration projects, funded programs to nurture upcoming film composers and released obscure films to DVD, offering themed boxed sets through its website.

"We can afford to do that because our budget is small," Tabesh says. "We are a business and a well-run business. We're profitable, but in the world of Turner, we're much smaller and they don't bother us too much here. They let us do our thing. As long as we're making money, they're going to focus on the big boys, the TNT, CNN, TBS."

Turner Classic Movies is owned by Turner Broadcasting, which owns HLN, the Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang and truTV. In turn, Turner is owned by Time Warner, which has even bigger fish to fry, such as HBO.

"TCM is a place people want to work," Tabesh says. "The people here are passionate about movies, and we attract really talented people."

In addition to Tabesh, there are four programmers at TCM who plan a year's strategy at a gulp.

"We do research and talk to consultants," he says. "Part of the fun is that you don't necessarily know about the subject, but you learn while doing it. We research everything and try to be comprehensive."

It's almost like a non-profit company.

"We get to pretend we're there to serve the greater good," Tabesh says. "We're still a business, but we're not really treated that way."
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've found TCM UK to be nothing like TCM America, it's not geared to the same audience at all and as such I've never used the channel. However I love watching TCM America's broadcast and I love Robert Osbourne. I wish we could have a carbon copy of what you get in the US.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I wish with all the new technology blending internet with TV, that television could go worldwide somehow. At least TCM (US), which is the best of it. :D

I remember my disappointment at seeing what "TCM" was like in other lands...it resembles more the current state of AMC.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers