Eve in Ironside

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Eve in Ironside

Post by stuart.uk »

On UK digital we get a dailly episode of Ironside with Raymond Burr. I've sort have become interested in the Barbara Anderson role of Officer Eve Whitfield. I think the character of Eve is a beautiful young woman and it's been suggested she's dressed to up market for a police detective. However, in an episode where she was shot,while shopping, there were flashbacks to tell the audience that Eve came from a privilage Td backgraound.

I know as well that Eve Whitfield came before Angie Dickinson's Pepper Anderson in Police Woman, the action heroines Cagney and Lacey and Betty Thomas' in Hill Street Blues, but in one episode while chasing a villain on a roof, she gave her gun to Don Galloways Ed Brown, because he lost his, so he could go after the bad guy alone. Then in the show I saw today while Ed was running down and having a fist fight with a villian, Eve was also chasing after a bad guy. Yet all we saw was her bringing him back at gun point. How did she apprend him I wonder.........................................................
CineMaven

Re: Eve in Ironside

Post by CineMaven »

Wow! You brought up a name I haven't thought of in ages. Come to think of it...now that you mention it, I don't know how she got the bad guys. She had a Grace Kelly look. They weren't going to have her break a sweat. For a woman in action...you really had to go to Wonder Woman or Mrs. Peel. Yes, rooted in fantasy...but it'd be a little while before you saw some realism with women in law enforcement. Your list (Angie, Tyne & Sharon and Betty Thomas) are case in point.

But at least Eve had more to do than Mark. He just wheeled Ironside around for a couple of seasons before they, what was it...let him go to law school? Wow...Barbara Anderson.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
stuart.uk

Re: Eve in Ironside

Post by stuart.uk »

She nearly made a comeback as Mrs. Joe Cartwright in Bonanza when the first tv movie of the show came out. They hoped to make a tv series, but it wasn't successful enough. In a 2nd attempt at a movie her character was killed off. She did however return for The Return Of Ironside, this time with long hair

Ironside has a great guest star list with the likes of Vera Miles and Anne Baxter. For some reason in the current reruns they're only showing the Barbara Anderson shows, forgetting there were just as many again with Elizabeth Bauras Fran, whom I remember as Andrew Duggan's ward in Lancer. She is also in The Return Of Ironside

In the UK, in the 80s, it was probably Jill Gascoine in The Gentle Touch and spin off show Cats Eyes as regards realistic police women, or Stephanie Turner, who played Dennis Watermen's wife in the early Sweeneys, and Anna Carteret, who played Inspectors in Juliet Bravo. They paved the way for the likes of Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect, Amanda Burton in The Commander and action heroine Amanda Redman in New Tricks among others