Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MissGoddess

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Post by MissGoddess »

I saw the one with Vera and Jeffrey, i agree it was terrific. I also recommend the one that I believe is called "An Open Window". It's one of the scariest episodes ever.
Thank you for the alert about Encore Suspense...that's one channel actually do get!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'll look for "An Open Window," Miss G. Thanks for the recommendation. Btw, via Hulu, you can watch many of the half hour shows on IMDb and the Hulu site as well. (you may have to register to see them all, but it's pretty painless and worth seeing if you like these anthology programs).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I've watched some of these very episodes on Hulu, now that you mention it. I also have all the seasons so far released on DVD and watch them often. I love anthology series, in fact I just started watch Barbara Stanwyck's show; Jacques Tourneur as director and photography by Nick Murusaca, not bad!
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I do watch some of his shows on Encore Suspense (of which I have) and occasionally on HULU too. I do enjoy his television shows and when I was young (and, even today) ... he (Hitchcock) makes you think and his shows are wonderfully written and showcased for all of us to enjoy!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Remind me to comment on the one about the lady alcoholic. I don't have time now! Very serious.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh yes, that was Phyllis Thaxter, wasn't it? She did a few with Hitch.
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"We will depart from our usual frivolity in the hope that someone, somewhere will be helped by tonight's story." Not a direct quote, but a pretty straightforward epilogue for a generally lighthearted TV show.

******SPOILER******

This may be the most serious, and tragic, episode I've seen. Ms. Thaxter, sober four weeks, falls off the wagon after seeing another woman flirt with the man in her life. She wakes up in jail, charged with killing her lover with a broken wine glass. Sadly, she doesn't remember doing it. Waiting for the ironic ending? Don't. That's it. Pretty stark.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Finally finished the first season. That's all I'll do right now. It's a good show. Ironic, macabre, whimsical. But I'm not such a fanatic I'll devote my winter to it. My friend has the collection. I know where to find her!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Tonight's "Alfred Hitchcock Hour" on Encore was great...it featured one of my favorites, Angie Dickinson in an unusually serious mood...and boy is it creepy!

And it's online!

THANATOS PALACE HOTEL - The Alfred Hitchcock Hour

http://www.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK/ ... 437846041/
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I can only imagine what Hitchcock would have said in response to this:

From UPI.com (June 2008):
Health News: Some movies affect more brain activity

Using advanced functional imaging, U.S. and German neuroscientists found some motion pictures can exert considerable control over brain activity.

Study authors New York University neuroscientists Uri Hasson, Barbara Knappmeyer, Nava Rubin and David Heeger and doctoral candidate Ohad Landesman as well as Ignacio Vallines of the University of Munich used fMRI and inter-subject correlation, or ISC analysis, used to measure similarities in brain activity across viewers.

The study, published in the Projections: The Journal for Movies and Mind, found:

The Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode "Bang! You're Dead" evoked similar responses across all viewers in more than 65 percent of the neocortex, indicating a high level of control on viewers' minds.

Sergio Leone's "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" evoked 45 percent of the neocortex.

Lower ISC — 18 percent was recorded for "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and less than 5 percent for an unstructured video clip filmed during a concert.

"The fact that Hitchcock was able to orchestrate the responses of so many different brain regions, turning them on and off at the same time across all viewers, may provide neuroscientific evidence for his notoriously famous ability to master and manipulate viewers' minds," the researchers said in a statement.
-- Will Rogers