Fall Season Report Card

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Rita Hayworth

Re: Fall Season Report Card

Post by Rita Hayworth »

CSI New York ... CSI NY

I'm starting to like Sela Ward's presence on this show and she brings a different twist of things and her humor of which it is surprisingly good too! Anyway, I like it ... and I hope this show will have another season or two with Sela Ward. She has a style of her very own!

With Gary Sinese

Entire Cast of CSI NY
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks for the heads up on The Closer. I'm lucky, as long as the old order for The Closer remains in existence, I don't have to worry because Uverse will automatically record it, so some morning I'll find it at the top of my list of 'recordings'.

As for Rizzoli and Isles, my only wish for it is that they would elevate Sasha Alexander to lead the story more often. I've liked her since her NCIS days and wondered where she went when she was killed off after a couple of seasons and was happy when she showed up here. I love her prissy character and hope they enlarge on that once in a while, because the resulting exasperation from Angie is such fun to watch.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Just a reminder for all who enjoy Leverage, The Closer and Rizzoli and Isles, a brief mid-season of episodes for each show begins this Sunday.

As if I don't have enough to watch on Sunday night as it is! Sunday night is hands down the best night of television these days at least for me!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lzcutter wrote:Just a reminder for all who enjoy Leverage, The Closer and Rizzoli and Isles, a brief mid-season of episodes for each show begins this Sunday.

As if I don't have enough to watch on Sunday night as it is! Sunday night is hands down the best night of television these days at least for me!
So True, I'm looking forward to it! Thanks for the reminder!
mrsl wrote:.
Thanks for the heads up on The Closer. I'm lucky, as long as the old order for The Closer remains in existence, I don't have to worry because Uverse will automatically record it, so some morning I'll find it at the top of my list of 'recordings'.

As for Rizzoli and Isles, my only wish for it is that they would elevate Sasha Alexander to lead the story more often. I've liked her since her NCIS days and wondered where she went when she was killed off after a couple of seasons and was happy when she showed up here. I love her prissy character and hope they enlarge on that once in a while, because the resulting exasperation from Angie is such fun to watch.
I couldn't agree with you more ... The Closer and Rizzoli and Isles are my favorites now!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

For fans of Warehouse 13, heads up, a smattering of mid-season episodes returns this week!

I'll be back tomorrow with my thoughts on Walking Dead's mid-season finale and Hell on Wheels
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

vallo

Post by vallo »

Is anybody watching ABC’s “Once Upon a Time”? The show is really good dramatic/weird twist on Fairy Tales.
Kind of like Snow White meets Stephen King. Sundays @ 8am EST
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I don't know if anyone is watching Person of Interest but I do and I think it may be my favorite new show. Starring Michael Emerson ( Lost) and Jim Caviezel (The Prisoner) remake, it is set in NYC and created by Jonathan Nolan (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight Rises) and JJ Abrams (Lost).

A computer genius named Finch (Emerson) developed a machine for the government that is used to detect information leading to acts of terrorism before they happen. The machine separates the information gathered into two categories: relevant and irrelevant. Finch, however, discovered that the irrelevant information often led to other acts of violent crime. So, he, before going underground, developed a back door into the system which only spits out the social security number of a central person involved in the crime. Supposedly dead in the authority's eyes, Finch hires John Reese (Caviezel), an ex-CIA special operations agent, who, too, dropped out of life after his girlfriend was killed the result of a professional incident, and as he was dissatisfied with the government's handling of the situation. Like Finch, Reese is officially listed as dead. Finch convinces Reese that in working for him to prevent the crime associated with the social security number, he can do what he was unable to do working on the inside. While the two go about this business, they are tracked by the New York City Police Department, who are trying to uncover who Reese specifically is

It is much better than that description and last week's show, Number Crunch was TERRIFIC. The fun of the show is the growing friendship between Finch and Reese and the joy of watching two good actors burrow into these characters. And this episode, was all about that friendship and at the end, I found myself holding my breath, tears in my eyes and totally grateful that I had invested in this show and these characters.

CBS has full episodes available on line at their website and some cable and satellite companies have it On Demand.

It's definitely worth checking out!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I am so glad that you gave me a description of what was happening in Person of Interest. I have always liked Jim Caveziel, and was intrigued by the nature of this program, but the one episode I tried to watch made me believe that it was a bit like The Closer, meaning that in order to comprehend the action, I'd have to see all the epis from the beginning, (not really likely for me, since I only tend to see things on the fly). I'll try to catch it again On Demand. Thanks!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Moira, Person of Interest is a Really Good Show. You don't know if the P.O.I is a good guy or a bad guy, often up to the last 5 minutes. The growing relationship between 2 people who do not trust anyone, who are slowly learning to trust each other, is incredibly interesting. I am holding my breath until the next episode, to find out how Reese (Jim Caviezel) is faring...

One show I just found (thanks to Time Warner's Prime Time On Demand) is Grimm It is a scary, yet funny show. "Remember the fairy tales your parents used to tell you before bedtime? Well, those weren't stories, they were warnings." Each episode puts a great spin on a well known fairy tale. Little Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks, The Three Little Pigs, Pied Piper of Hamelin...really fun series. The monsters are often not who you might expect......... Silas Weir Mitchell is Monroe, a Blutbad (don't ask) who has gone thru extensive therapy to put those "wild days" behind him...He got tired of waking up and having to pick bunny fur out of his teeth. He has reluctantly been roped into helping Nick, the cop who has discovered he is descended from an elite line of criminal profilers known as "Grimms," charged with keeping balance between humanity and the mythological creatures of the world.

Friday nights on NBC
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Knitty,

I'm with you on holding my breath about Reese!

And Grimm is a lot of fun!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Person of Interest only continues to get better with each passing week.

These guys know how to run a show. Each week, we are given nuggets of the backstory, not just as exposition but as part of the weekly person of interest. The growing friendship, tinged with wariness, between Finch and Reese is wonderful to watch unfold. CBS is to be commended for standing by this show. It started slow out of the gate but has been steadily growing its audience. In fact, the promos now call it "the number #1 new show of the season (used to be Unforgettable but that fell to from grace two months ago).

Oh and this week's episode was a terrific homage to Lone Wolf and Cub with a bit of Ronin thrown in.

The show seems to slowly be building to a terrific season closer and CBS has all but indicated there will be a season 2.

If you aren't watching this show, it's time to get on board before it gets further down the track.

You won't be disappointed!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

David,

I'm watching Touch (actually I'm Tivoing it and watching it later as Person of Interest-my fave network show- is on opposite it) but don't worry, you aren't the only one it causes to tear up on a regular basis. I'm right there with you. A very different role for Kiefer than Jack Bauer.

If anyone is watching In Plain Sight, the series finale is this Friday night.
Lynn in Lake Balboa