Winter/Spring 2012 Report Call

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

Winter/Spring 2012 Report Call

Post by Lzcutter »

Interesting winter we've had, television wise:

The Walking Dead returns next month, Feb. 12th, for the rest of its second season. Last summer, AMC removed Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption) as show runner. Now word comes out, that this season of the zombie hit would have opened with a major backstory episode. The season opener was planned to showcase Atlanta, after the unknown disease outbreak, with federal troops taking over the city. We would have seen Andrea and her sister failing to leaving the city and being befriended by Dale (Jeffrey DeMunn). We would have seen Shane taking care of Lori and her son. We would have met the federal trooper before he got bit and climbed into the tank where Rick met him in the premiere of Season 1. All of which sounds like a great way to open Season 2 instead of the opener we got (and almost six weeks on the farm) but budget concerns caused AMC to veto this idea and go with the opener we got.

The Closer had a short season that didn't reveal who the mole was but seems to have brought an end to the legal case. With only a short run of episodes featuring Kyra Sedwick before the show moves on and becomes Major Crimes means the mole storyline should be front and center on its summer return.

Rizzoli and Isles had a short run that finished off, what at best can be called a schizophrenic season, with Jane and Maura on the outs. Why the show runner thought it was okay for Jane to leave her bff, Maura, at the hospital while Maura's mother was in a life and death situation so Jane could go home and have a roll in the hay with a character we haven't seen since the first season, is beyond me.

Leverage had a good short run and looks to end on a bang this Sunday before returning next summer.

Speaking of summer, the Sci-fy channel (or however they spell it) announced today at the Critics tour that Warehouse 13 returns next summer with 20 episodes instead of 13.

In the meantime, Mad Men returns March 25th after a year and a half off but hey, I'll be there. They premiere with a two hour opener! Can't wait!

The cold winds are rising and Game of Thrones returns on April 1st, no joke. Can't wait.

The Killing continues the storyline of who killed Rosie Larsen with a two hour premiere on April 1st. I really liked the first season but the word from the TV Critics tour is that the head of AMC says we won't found out who done it until the end of Season 2. Really? There better be a really good, kick ass reason story-wise to keep me watching. By the end of season 1, while I liked the characters, I was unhappy not to be any closer to finding her killer and to have to go another 11 episodes to get there? I dunno.

Grimm returns tonight after a break for the holidays.

For those politically involved, Bill Maher returns to HBO tonight.

Chuck finishes up its final season in the next couple of weeks.

Hell on Wheels finishes its first season on Sunday. It's been renewed so it will be coming back next fall.

And for fans of Prime Suspect, two episodes premiere next Sunday (1-21). Hopefully not on Sunday night when I am watching Showtime (note, of course, it's Sunday night, the busiest night of cable tv series). Former Showtime head (and now heading NBC), Robert Greenblatt told the Critics Tour that if Prime Suspect had been on cable it would have been renewed for multiple seasons after the fourth episode. Damn you, NBC. Do you really think The Firm, a show based on a movie from 1993, is going to deliver whopping good numbers? I want a drag of whatever you guys are smoking.

ABC still has faith in Pan Am and says there is still hope it may be on the schedule next year. We'll see.

JJ Abrams new drama with a sci-fi twist, Alcatrez, premieres Monday evening (1-16).

This may be House's final season (I say thank you Lord but others may not share those sentiments).

It would be really good if the writers of Hawaii 5-0 would go back and watch the first season and learn from it.

Person of Interest returned last night (1-12) with another great episode. I love this show.

This Tuesday, Jan. 17th, looks to be very busy (especially for my DVR):

Justified returns

Southland returns

White Collar returns

all at the same hour, 10:00 pm. No lie.

And on Wednesday, the 18th, Royal Pains comes back.

Westerns, both old-fashioned and modern, look to be making a major comeback next fall. No lie.

Oh, and the awards season kicks off Sunday with the Golden Globes.

Happy viewing!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Re: Winter/Spring 2012 Report Call

Post by mrsl »

i DON'T WATCH A LOT OF WHAT YOU DO BUT I AM A HUGE FAN OF THE CLOSER AND I'M PRETTY SURE THEY PLAN A FEW MORE SHOWS TO SEND THE CHIEF AND HER HUBBY OFF TO START ANEW SOMEWHERE. I'VE ALREADY SAID i THINK WE NEED LESS RIZZOLI AND MORE ISLES, HARMON IS BEAUTIFUL BUT SO IS SASHA AND I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HER GET MORE CAMERA TIME. i HAVE MY DVR SET FOR 5:00 A.M. EVERY SUNDAY MORNING AND AM WATCHING MAD MEN FROM THE BEGINNING TO SEE WHAT I'VE MISSED, SO FAR, I DON'T SEE A WHOLE LOT, UNLESS YOU LIKE TO WATCH PEOPLE LIGHT UP CIGARETTES EVERY FEW MINUTES. AND I'M SORRY BUT THE MEN WERE NOT QUITE SO OBNOXIOUS AS THESE ARE ALTHOUGH THERE WAS A LOT MORE GOING ON BEHIND THE SCENES THAN WHAT THE PROGRAM IS SHOWING.

FINALLY, I, FOR ONE AM THRILLED THAT BILL MAHER IS BACK.

I HAVEN'T SEEN SO MANY FISHTAILS SINCE I TOURISTED THE SAN FRANCISCO FISH MARKET. I AM TOTALLY HAPPY THAT WOMEN ARE DRESSING AS WOMEN AGAIN AND NOT LITTLE GIRLES RUNNING AROUND IN SLIPS.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Winter/Spring 2012 Report Call

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

The Closer returns with a handful of episodes this summer (likely July) and there will be a series finale that wraps up Brenda's story. Once that show has wrapped up, Major Crimes will begin with most, but not all, of squad we have grown to love returning with Mary McDonnell.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese