Big names for Upstairs Downstairs

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Big names for Upstairs Downstairs

Post by stuart.uk »

With Eileen Akins, making herself unvailable for the new series of Upstairs Downstairs, she's to be replaced by Alex Kingston from ER and Doctor Who, playing her half sister. Wonder how they'll explain the age difference here. Alex plays a sort of female Indianna Jones, so maybe not to different from her Dr. Who character Prof. River Strong

Emila Fox from the Fox acting dynasty will plays a novelist while Sarah Lancashire plays a lady's maid, who befriends the Butler.

It'll be good that American's will finally get a chance to see how good Sarah Lancashire is. She made her name in Coronation Street and has gone on to do great things including Gentlemans Relish, a super tv movie with Billy Connelly. She also played the Wendy Hiller role in a version of Sons And Lovers. On post 4 I've posted a clip of Sarah in action
Last edited by stuart.uk on January 31st, 2012, 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Big names for Upstairs Downstairs

Post by movieman1957 »

I first knew of Alex from her turn in "Moll Flanders." It was all the more enjoyable with Diana Rigg and a very young Daniel Craig (who I had never heard of at the time.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

As I've added to my original post, Alex is playing a sort of female Indianna Jones in UD, which maybe similiar to her River Strong in Doctor Who. I'm not a great fan of the present DW cast, unlike the David Tennant days. However, whenever, Alex appeared as River the standard seemed to improve. That might be an age thing with me, as most of the DW cast are young actors, while Alex is nearer my own age
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Sarah Lancashire did a tv mini series called The Glass, where she's involved in alove triangle with John Thaw and John McFadden. I've just found a classic clip from the show. In Upstairs Downstairs, it looks like Sarah will play a plain looking lady's maid. However, she can turn on the glamour as well,

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I won't give the game away, but there are a lot of twist and turns in the final episode of season 2 as we reach the outbreak of WW2
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I know this is the wrong thread but can anyone tell me about Downton Abbey? Where is it? Is it on a hiatus? Does it have a regular time slot? When is it coming back? I only saw a few of the last televised shows, but it caught me up in curiosity and I would love to see more. What are my chances?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Anne, in America, Downton Abbey on PBS concluded their broadcast of the second season of the series on Feb. 19th. Season 1 and 2 are available on DVD and are currently available on Netflix streaming online. You can see a lot of information about the series at the PBS site here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/downtonabbey/

On the SSO, you can see many of our posts about the series in the thread BBC Suggestions under the section General TV and Media. If you go to that thread and paste Downton Abbey into the search box there, you will see the related posts to this topic in that thread:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... bey#p81216

I think we will have to wait until next Fall before we get to see Season 3 of the show, though PBS usually repeats the Masterpiece Theatre entries in the Summer and early Fall, so I think it will be seen again.

There are many videos from or related to Downton Abbey on youtube as well. They can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t ... ry=0&page=

I hope this helps a bit.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks Moira!!!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************