Tom Jones and Engelbert

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Tom Jones and Engelbert

Post by stuart.uk »

Both Tom Jones and Engelbert Humperdink are in the limelight again. The Jones boy is the most famous judge on the UK version of the Voice. He's quoted as saying Simon Cowell shouldn't be a judge on Pop Idol or the X-Factor, as he isn't a singer, so can't spot real talent

In contrast Engelbert is really, at 75, putting his reputation on the line by representing the UK in the up-coming Eurovison song contest. The days when the UK used to win on a regular basis appear long gone since the fall of the Berlin wall. Even if Eng and the song are great, he still might finish close to if not last, as the Baltic Countries tend to vote for each other regardless
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Tom Jones and Engelbert

Post by movieman1957 »

Is E.H. performing a song that is submitted for the contest? Jones recently had a special here where he visited some old jazz haunts in New Orleans.

Sad to say but I learned about the contest from either Benny Hill or Monty Python. I'm sure it's taken seriously but when those two are your only reference it's hard to get a handle on it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The Eurovision Song Contest is taken very seriously by some nations, the funniest thing about it used to Terry Wogan who did all the comentating and was quite witty and dry, nowadays it's descended into countries voted for their nearest neighbours or collective group of countries, so the Balkan countries generally vote together, as do the Scandanavian countries and Eastern block, if you take it with a pinch of salt it's funny but if you take it seriously you could get quite cross.

I love the fact they've got Engelbert Humperdinck for this years show but I'd be very surprised if he got anywhere.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Yes the song is submitted for the show

Abba won for Sweden with Waterloo

Lulu finished joint 1st out of 4 with Boom Bang A Bang

Cliff Richard finished 2nd with Congratulations and 3rd with Power To All Our Friends. It's since been discovered that Congratulations, which was a massive UK hit, was robbed of winning the 1968 contest due to vote rigging

Sandi Shaw was the UKs first winner with Puppett On A String

Dana became a star overnight, winning for Ireland with All Kinds Of Everything
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Engebert's song wasn't that great and he finished 2nd from last. Though the Voice got of to a great start and one of Tom Jones' singers won, viewing figures dippied and there is a chance TJ and the other judges might be axed from the show
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Tom Jones is in a completely different league to Englebert Humperdinck, I'm not surprised by the Eurovision result, our song wasn't that good. I would have voted for the Russian grannies.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin