The Google Art Project

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

The Google Art Project

Post by moira finnie »

Have you heard about The Google Art Project?

The project is a bit like the Google Maps project designed to show us street level views of places worldwide. Right now, the project has individual art works from museums around the world that we can examine in enormous detail. You can look at individual art works, whole collections and museums. These galleries include the Uffizi in Florence, the J. Paul Getty Museum, The Met, Versailles, the National Portrait Gallery, and many more. It has just been upgraded and is quite exciting to view, which you can do here:
http://www.googleartproject.com/

You can read more detailed info about this project here.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Jezebel38

Re: The Google Art Project

Post by Jezebel38 »

How cool - I've never heard of this before - thanks for posting! I'll need to play around with the navigation a bit - wondering if you can just browse collections? I got it to search for Artist name; Good - found Thomas Moran, one of my favorite painters; Bad - only 7 works shown. I'll need to check it again to see how many of Maynard DIxon's canvases are posted.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The Nelson-Atkins in KC has an extensive Chinese collection, and also a wonderful Japanese collection. It was fun to go thru their listings, without having to drive to the gallery. :oops: Thanks for sharing, M!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I'm definitely going to check this out. Worth Investigating ... and I love Art too. :)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

knitwit45 wrote:The Nelson-Atkins in KC has an extensive Chinese collection, and also a wonderful Japanese collection. It was fun to go thru their listings, without having to drive to the gallery. :oops: Thanks for sharing, M!
Thanks for pointing out this museum among the many, Nan. I loved the Native peoples art work as well as the Asian art too. It really takes time to get used to navigating the various pieces, and unearthing the info about the origins and time period when they were made, but it is engrossing. I see that they keep adding to the galleries too!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks