Upstairs Downstairs axed

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Upstairs Downstairs axed

Post by stuart.uk »

The BBC has decided to axe the revamped version of Upstairs Downstairs after 2 seasons, which I think is a great pity as I rather enjoyed it. The ratings fell to 3 million in the UK so it was decided to pull the plug. It's been suggested that the Beeb these days isn't loyal to its period dramas, it's a good job then that Downton Abbey is an ITV production
charliechaplinfan

Re: Upstairs Downstairs axed

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I tried it, I think I watched 2 episodes, the cast was fine but the story just didn't take off, it just felt dull in comparison to Downton Abbey which is a shame because I'm sure TV could easily cope with 2 period dramas.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

I feel much of the plot of the last series of Downton was similiar to the Original Upstairs Downstairs. Captain James coming home from WW1 badly wounded and the death of Hazel from the flu virus of 1918. I liked Prichard the butler

PS do you fancy the new film period drama due out Albert Knobs with Glenn Close and Janet Mcteer as 2 women, who for a number of yrs pose themselves of as men in Victorian Ireland. One preview says there are hints of a lesbian theme, which seems to me it's left to the imagination as far as that's concerned.
charliechaplinfan

I was too young to watch the original Downstairs and had to ask my mother in law for help in connecting the two so Downton is original for me. I haven't heard of the film though but I could see myself watching it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

Try ITV 3 on Saturday mornings, or even during the week for UD reruns
charliechaplinfan

I might have more luck during the week, Saturday mornings are hectic here.