Man In A Suitcase recomended

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Man In A Suitcase recomended

Post by stuart.uk »

I've just discovered that the tv series Man In A Suitcase is available on you tube. Made around the same time as The Saint, MIAS differs as the main character McGill is an anti-hero, who wrongly accused of treason by the American secret service, whom he worked for, earns a living working as a bounty hunter in UK and Europe.

Young method actor Richard Bradford, who impressed Lew Grade with his performance in Marlon Brando's The Chase, plays McGill. Unlike Simon Templar, he wears regular clothing and drives a modest Hillman Imp.

Recomended episodes from me are Essay In Evil. If you click 15 minutes in you'll see Donald Houston refuse to give him money he's due and get a body guard to throw him out of his office. Let's say the body guard is unsuccessful. Three Blinks Of The Eyes is worth a watch to see a 20-year-old Felicity Kendall. In All That Glitters, McGill tries to rescue a Polititian's son from kidnappers. In another episode Faith Brook (The 39 Steps-1959), Clive Brook's daughter appears. It was only because I saw the show I looked her up on the net, only to discover she died last March.

Richard Bradford had issuse with the producers of the show and wasn't happy with some of the scripts. However, the show was a big hit in the UK. In an interview I think Bradford regrets he didn't hang about to see if a 2nd series could be made. I think he feels now he shot himself, ala George Lazenby as Bond, in the foot as the show in time could have made him an international star. In America I think he'll be best known as Tyne Daly's dad in Cagney And Lacey or as the police chief in the Sean Connery The Untouchables.
RedRiver

Re: Man In A Suitcase recomended

Post by RedRiver »

This sounds very interesting. Was the show aired in the US? I don't remember it.
stuart.uk

Re: Man In A Suitcase recomended

Post by stuart.uk »

Like Steve Forrest in The Baron, I think it aired in the US without to much success, but It's what Richard Braford is remembered for here. Check this link

Here's the iconic theme tune