Reality taking over

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Reality taking over

Post by moira finnie »

mrsl wrote:.
I'm kind of keeping my fingers crossed that the new Dennis Quaid Michael Chicklis Vegas will take hold, and we may end up with some good present day westerns. With the great choices we have now for real American Indian actors, I wish someone would come up with a show featuring a sheriff of a reservation, kind of like the sheriffs character in Thunderheart . Even a 1880's Western would be fun as long as it is a new idea and not a rehash of the old Bonanza, Big Valley, Gunsmoke, etc.
Have you had a chance to see Longmire on A & E, Anne? Currently scheduled for 10pm ET and CT on Sundays, the stories are set (and actually filmed) in Wyoming and center around a taciturn sheriff (Australian actor Robert Taylor) and the crimes he investigates in his jurisdiction. The people surrounding the lawman include "a city-gal deputy named Victoria (Katee Sackhoff); another deputy named Branch (Bailey Chase), who we learn in the pilot wants Walt’s job; and Walt’s friend Henry Standing Bear (Lou Diamond Phillips in the cast’s most intriguing portrayal)." It has been pretty favorably reviewed and episodes can be seen online at IMDb here if you would like to check it out the early entries in the series. Perhaps it will be of interest?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
markfp

Post by markfp »

moirafinnie wrote: Have you had a chance to see Longmire on A & E,

Yes, Moira, my wife and are both hooked on it. It really has gotten to the point where the best and most original shows are being made by the cable networks and not the major broadcast networks. And when they do come up with something original, like NBC did with HARRY'S LAW, they'll either screw around with it to the point where it loses its audience or they cancel it because that audience isn't the younger demographic that they seem to lust for.

It use to be that shows on cable had sort of a stigma attached to them because they were produced so cheaply, but not anymore. LONGMIRE for instance, is a solid show shot on a location that is fresh to television and with high production values. It sure looks a better than one shot on that fake city street at Universal Studios' back lot which has been seen in a thousand shows.

Cable is doing it right and is attracting talented people on both sides of the camera who are willing to work for a little less in exchange for allowing their creativity to be used to its full potential.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Harry's Law cancelled.... :(
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Does no one not know what to do with a fine actress as Kathy Bates??
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for the heads up, Mark. I find that I sort of gave up on everything but the news, old movies, and some PBS on the tube some time ago, but I did see a part of Longmire filmed in the glorious outdoors of Wyoming and liked that. If that is the setting for the rest of the show it may be worth checking out more thoroughly.

For those upset over the cancellation of Harry's Law, you might want to check this out to express your frustration:

http://www.saveharryslaw.com/p/blog-page.html
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Count me in as a fan of Longmire.

I agree with Moira that Lou Diamond Phillips has the most interesting character but Robert Taylor and Katie Sackoff are running a really close tie for second. The writing is good as is the acting.

I watch way too much tv but I added this one to my list and I'm glad I did.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Add me to the thanks for the head up on Longmire, MarkFP. I'm pretty sure this one will hold my interest for quite a while. Hopefully it will continue the fine performances that have been exhibited in the first two that have been on On Demand. I've already added it to my automatic DVR copy list. The lead, Robert Taylor, hard not to picture the actor from the 40's, is my type of guy -- Ruggedly handsome, and no pushover. From my first look at him, I disliked the deputy Sheriff, then I learn he's trying to run his own show to become the sheriff, now I see him with Cady's daughter, ohhhhhhh this guy and I gotta become best friends. But. . . can someone tell me where I've seen him before? He looks so familiar as do a lot of the others but I know where I've seen them and when, but the deputy has me stymied. As for Lou Diamond, he can stand still and not say a word and I'm happy. To me he is great and always will be, no matter what he does. I was glad to see Irene Bedard as a guest playing the mother of someone. As I mentioned, we have so many fine American Indians who are acting, I hope they get more and bigger parts sooner or later.

Again, thanks for the heads up Mark!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
markfp

Post by markfp »

mrsl wrote:,
A From my first look at him, I disliked the deputy Sheriff, then I learn he's trying to run his own show to become the sheriff, now I see him with Cady's daughter,
That whole deputy thing is the only part of the show I don't care for. I suppose they needed a protagonist, to play against the sheriff, and sure, lets show their dislike for each other and build up some tension with the deputy getting involved with his daughter. but the election is really pointless.There's no suspense there. We all know that if the show gets picked up for another season he got re-elected. I highly doubt that season two would be about an unemployed ex-sheriff. If the show doesn't return then that whole thing was a waste of time anyway. I only hope they don't try and turn the election into a cliffhanger season finale.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Sorry for the wrong name again. (Senior Moment! ! ! ! ) I'm glad you knew I meant WALT and not CADY in that last post of mine.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************