Ladies - HELP - - Please

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Ladies - HELP - - Please

Post by mrsl »

September 23, 2012 in a Chicago suburb: My 50th High School reunion, 1:00 p.m to sometime around 5:00. Please, suggestions on what to wear. Slack outfit, Slack Suit, Cocktail dress, flashy short skirted dress (I'm too old for that!), Skirt and blouse - with or without jacket. Have any of you had any big events of this type lately? What did they wear?
Last edited by mrsl on August 20th, 2012, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Ladies - HELP - - Please

Post by moira finnie »

I can tell you one thing, Anne--Sue Sue Applegate & Lzcutter are great at this stuff!

My only suggestion would be that no matter what you wear, pick a color you feel good wearing, find some comfortable shoes, and go have fun. (One thing to remember: they have all changed too). I hope it's a great day for you and your class.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, Almost one year to the day (Sept 28, 2013) is our 50th, and I'm one of the co-chairs (again) on the planning committee. Believe me, be comfortable. At the 10th, everyone dressed to the nines. The 20th, dressy, but day wear. By the 30th, we all were in comfortable clothes you would wear to go to a movie or out for a casual dinner. The 40th was more of the same. I have a feeling this time around will bring on the comfortable shoes, the nice slacks and pretty blouses ( not too many of us have legs to flash anymore :roll: :lol: :roll: ) The main thing is, be comfortable. Now is NOT the time to try out a new style or new color...go with something you can forget you're wearing, so you can concentrate on the people you haven't seen for ages.
hope this helps!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

Congratulations on the invitation! Suex2 is much better at the fashion end of it than me. I always go to her when I have fashion questions. I can echo what Moira said about wearing an outfit and color you feel comfortable in. The last thing you want is to feel like you constantly have to run to the ladies room to check how your outfit looks. If you feel more comfortable in a pants suit don't hesitate to wear that. Since the event is in the afternoon, a stylish pant suit should fit right in.

If your hair needs cutting, get that done at least two weeks prior to the event so that your hair has time to adjust to the cut. Also be sure that you get your eyebrows tweezed (and don't wait till the night before) a few days prior.

If you have the time and are able to, a visit to a good department store's cosmetic counter to get some tips on make-up (you don't have to spend the $$ to buy what they suggest, but you can get some good pointers) if you feel that would help.

And by all means, wear comfortable shoes. And the purse you take, be sure it's not weighted down with your daily stuff, just the necessities for the afternoon. Nothing will weigh your shoulder down quicker and make you feel tired than a heavy shoulder purse.

Have fun and don't worry that you no longer look as you did back in the day. Neither will any of your classmates.

Have fun!

Hope that helps!

Paging Suex2!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Just now scooted on over to this thread.

Anne, I agree with all of Moira's, Knitty's, and Lynn's comments. Since it is an afternoon affair, you might consider a matching combo with pants and jacket. You can always chose a blouse with plenty of splashes of color, and I always try to work in a sash or scarf and a matching necklace.

Comfortable shoes are a must, and always pack a small notepad in a purse you take to a big party full of some of your favorite folks. If I don't have any business cards with me, I will usually write my contact information on several sheets of one of those tiny, inexpensive notepads, and have them handy so I can just tear them off. You just don't want to waste valuable party time or lose a connection with a dear pal while you are writing out lots of phone numbers or addresses. :lol:

Lynn's advice about the haircut is definitely on the mark. If you can arrange to have your hair trimmed at least a week prior to the bash (two is better), it has a chance to breath, and you have a chance to help it relax into its favorite style.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thank you again ladies. I was discussing it with my neighbor today and she said "Take the plunge and dress to the nines, and get ready to dance all afternoon." I said," Kim: this is our 50th year, all of us were at the least 18 years old at graduation, so that makes all of us at least 67 or 68 . . . DANCE!!? 75% of us will come in with canes and name tags on them, and the other 25% may have wheelchairs. I'll just be happy some of us are there at all!!! " I'm really looking forward to it though. The idea of bringing printed cards with my name, address, phone number, cell number, and e-mail is a good one. Gee, when I graduated we exchanged names, addresses, and parents phone numbers. Time have changed.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The idea of bringing printed cards with my name, address, phone number, cell number, and e-mail is a good one.
It certainly is! I am going to put this in our mailer to all the grads!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Glad you ladies liked it! :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor