Classic Films for Non-Enthusiasts

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
norfious

Classic Films for Non-Enthusiasts

Post by norfious »

I hope this is the right sub-forum to post this in!

For the past year, I have been trying to host community movie showings, mostly classic films of course, in an attempt to get younger audiences interested. When making the fliers and sending out the invitations, I always describe the film to be shown, as I am sure not many people have heard of the classic films I play. Still, very few people actually show up, which disappoints me greatly.

While many attendees have not seen many (if any) classic films previously, they always seem to enjoy the movies I play. From this observation, I know that people with no knowledge of classic films can still enjoy them, they just have to be roped in to sit down and watch them! Therefore, I want to raise attendance at my showings.

To do so, I want to select movies that will be a big draw, to get an initial "following" as it were. Does anyone have any suggestions of movies that would really engage a modern audience? Yes, yes, I know we're all "modern" here, but I mean people who don't usually watch movies from pre-1970 because they feel those movies are "too old and boring." I want to show them the classics aren't boring!

I was thinking of starting with some comedies, since they move pretty quickly, and the "action" is fairly sustained. Perhaps some Marx Bros or silent comedies? Those are pretty timeless. Eventually, I'd like to transition to dramas and the like.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
MissGoddess

Re: Classic Films for Non-Enthusiasts

Post by MissGoddess »

What about the 007 movies, with Sean Connery? They are colorful, action filled and both guys and girls seem to enjoy them. they have a kind of "retro" spin you can play with when you advertise. I also recommend Hitchcock, his biggies like Psycho and North by Northwest. It's taking a tip from TCM's programming. That's why they air certain titles like North by Northwest so often, they are "bait" films that can pull in reluctant new viewers. :D

FYI, vintage markets, street fairs, flea markets, et al are also good places to hand out flyers...these people already have a taste for "vintage" and lots of young people really are into this, the trick is to find them. I wish you the best with that!

P.S. Comedies are a great choice, and if you could get some shorts by Laurel & Hardy, Buster Keaton, et al to show before a main feature (in color) it's a good way to "spoon feed" the newbies. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I think that the 007 movies are a good entry level drug introduction for potential film fans. Of course, once they encounter Sean Connery's 007, most others pale in comparison. Since Halloween is soon upon us, maybe a lineup of the great franchise from the '30s might entice people to see them. Just off the top of my head, I'd suggest the originals of The Invisible Man, The Mummy, and House of Frankenstein. These films seem to blend humor and horror in equal doses and are made with such audaciousness and skill, they are usually irresistible. Some other ideas might include great original sci-fi films: Metropolis, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and Invaders From Mars, which are still enormously entertaining.

Perhaps people would like double features, teaming the older movies with post-1970 ones, such as Gunga Din (1939) with Raiders of the Lost Ark. Both of these films are so fast-paced, audiences forget themselves and enjoy the non-stop action. The influence of the older film on the more recent one would be implicit, but might make people discover how joyous older films can be.

When you have tried to generate interest in films from the past locally, have you ever thought of asking for assistance from a local college or university? They not only may have some great little theaters available, but also boast an occasional staff member who is well-versed in movie history and that built-in audience of college kids who are often susceptible to exploring arcane mysteries such as golden age movies.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I have been trying to host community movie showings
What is the size of the "community" and what are its characteristics? Then try to play to that. But, in general, I think Screwball Comedies and Westerns probably reach a relatively diverse demographic and, therefore, are good starting points. My limited experience is that Musicals, War movies, Horror, Silents and non-English language films will unfortunately keep people away until an audience has been built (and, depending on your venue, Silents and non-English language films may still present a problem -- the room I have at a local college for my film class is a "regular" classroom with a screen and projector, making the reading of inter-title cards difficult and subtitles nearly impossible).

One of the tricks in building the audience is to show movies that are not overexposed (e.g., The Wizard of Oz or Casablanca -- people may love them, but unless you're showing them of the BIG screen, they may feel there's no need to go out to see them), but have some generally well-known element, which usually means a star of the top order. That's why I think Screwball Comedy is a good start -- almost everyone has heard of Cary Grant, most of those folks have probably seen and enjoyed a movie he's in, and yet they may not have seen several of the movies you could program. The mix of the familiar with the unfamiliar, I think, is essential until you develop a buzz and the trust of your audience.

Good luck!

P.S. And guilting your family and friends into attending and selling the concept sure can help.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Things like those mentioned have some kind of relationship between now and then. Connery is still quite popular and some of the other films show up on TV regularly. Then it may be a matter of making connections. Using Connery maybe "Marnie" though that may a bit of a tough sell then that gets them Hitchcock.

Clint Eastwood films, since he's been in the news so much lately.

April and Moira's "007" suggestion is a good one.

I had a night at my house earlier in the year where my study group from church came over to see "The Princess Bride." As part of the evening I showed a Bugs Bunny cartoon and a Buster Keaton short. I think April's idea for short films is good as an introduction as you might warm them up to it. Not a lot of time spent might get them hooked.

ChiO and Dewey plan festivals so checking their threads might give you some ideas. Those are usually noir films.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I programmed (and led discussion for) two series at our church during Lent with "Lent as a Journey" as the theme.

Year 1: Stars in My Crown, A Matter of Life and Death, Strange Cargo, and Killer of Sheep.

Year 2: Stars in My Crown (repeated by popular demand!), A Canterbury Tale, On Dangerous Ground and WALL-E.

Here are the class descriptions (which I edited for flyers) for the film appreciation class through the Continuing Education Department at a local college:

Fall 2011: THE WESTERN: BEYOND THE MYTH

This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

The Western is one of the most loved, long lasting and American of the movie genres. When we think of a Western, certain images immediately come to mind: the Good Guy versus the Bad Guy, savage Indians, open scenic landscapes, the late-1800s, the cowboy in a white hat riding into town (followed by the cavalry) to save the poor womenfolk. Movies that challenge those images invite controversy. Is it a Western? Or, do we need to redefine what a Western is? The movies that we will watch and discuss challenge the myth of the West as portrayed in many of the most popular Westerns. Enough of the usual images are kept to make them Westerns, but they are somehow different. Racism may be confronted. Women may be the strong leading characters. Contemporary issues may be addressed. The Good Guy may not be all good and the Bad Guy may not be all bad.

The films that I screened were: Canyon Passage, Bad Day at Black Rock, Johnny Guitar, Forty Guns, Silver Lode and Day of the Outlaw.

Spring 2012: BETWEEN CLASSIC & NEO-: FILM NOIR IN THE '60s

You’re alone. But you don’t mind that. You’re a loner.

The period from 1940 to 1959 is commonly considered the Classic Age of Film Noir with movies such as The Maltese Falcon (1941), Double Indemnity (1944), Gilda (1946), and Touch of Evil (1958). Since the 1980s, among both moviemakers and the audience, there has been resurgence in the popularity of Film Noir from the Classic Age led by the box-office success of similar newer movies, dubbed Neo-Noir, such as Body Heat (1981), Fargo (1996) and L. A. Confidential (1997). What happened in between? We will explore that middle period by watching six complete movies and clips of the best examples of Film Noir made in the ‘60s, followed by discussion of what makes them Film Noir and what may distinguish them from the Film Noir that preceded and followed them.

The films that I screened were: Blast of Silence, Underworld U.S.A., The Killers, Brainstorm, The Money Trap and Point Blank.

Starting in 10 days...

Fall 2012: FROM THE MUSIC HALL TO THE HOLY GRAIL: ENGLISH COMIC ACTORS

We've been hit very badly by this peace scare.

Charles Chaplin, arguably the most beloved comic actor. Peter Sellers, the most respected comic actor of the second half of the 20th century. Cary Grant, the King of Screwball Comedy. What do they have in common other than the knack for making audiences laugh? They are all English. English comedic actors have made moviegoers howl since the earliest days of film. From Stan Laurel to Monty Python, laughter has been a key English export. Is it the accent? The fish and chips? The view of humanity? Join us in watching and discussing six hilarious – often with a very serious edge – feature length comedies, and clips from more, British- and American-made, starring funny men from across the Pond. Just try to keep a stiff upper lip.

The films I will be screening are: A Chump at Oxford, The Talk of the Town, Monsieur Verdoux, The Man in the White Suit, Heavens Above! and Bedazzled.

And the class description submitted last week for the next class (Oooo...I can't wait!):

Spring 2013: FIRST YOU DREAM, THEN YOU DIE: FILMS ADAPTED FROM CORNELL WOOLRICH FICTION

I have not written this to be well-written, nor read by anyone else; I have written it for myself alone. This is the way it was; this is the way it must be told.

A dingy apartment. A seedy nightclub. A memory loss. An inexplicable murder. These are the elements of the fiction written by Cornell Woolrich (1903-1968), the father of noir literature. James M. Cain, Dashiell Hammett, and Raymond Chandler are better known in literature and film circles, but Woolrich wrote more stories that were adapted for movies than those three combined. During the Forties alone, fourteen of his stories were made into films. Woolrich himself was a model for noir literature and film noir, as the above quotation from his unfinished autobiography attests. First hailed as the new F. Scott Fitzgerald, he shifted to spinning dozens of tales about an unforgiving Fate and sold them to the pulps. Unfortunately, other than Hitchcock’s Rear Window, far too many of the films adapted from his fiction are unavailable, forgotten or seldom seen. We will investigate some of these lesser-known films from the first half of the classic period of film noir…films that are as dark and bleak as Woolrich’s life.

The likely suspects to be screened: The Leopard Man, Phantom Lady, Deadline at Dawn, Black Angel, Fear in the Night and I Wouldn't Be in Your Shoes.

Some of the classes that I've taken over the past 10 or so years include: Douglas Sirk; Preston Sturges; Martin Scorsese; Unknown Noir; American Independents; Westerns of Jacques Tourneur; Directed by Ida Lupino; Julien Duvivier; John Garfield; Robert Ryan; Musicals; Horror; Fritz Lang; F.W. Murnau; Pre-Code; Carl Th. Dreyer; Faith, Fate and Free Will; Luchino Visconti; Wars Films of Powell and Pressburger; Kenji Mizoguchi; Screwball Comedy; Luis Bunuel.

Somewhere in all of that, I hope an idea is sparked.
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

ChiO

Were any of those classes recorded and put up for a podcast?
Chris

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Kinda, I suppose. My pal Brandon Linden has three of the classes I took from him available as MP3s. The classes are:

The L.A. Rebellion: Burnett & Gerima
Arrows of Desire: Powell & Pressburger
Guns in the Shadows: The Westerns of Jacques Tourneur

http://www.brandonlinden.com/Film%20Cla ... sions.html

Sept. 26, 2012 -- NOTE: I've just been informed that although the above link will get you to Brandon's site and the bit of written content on the films, any attempt to access the discussion results in a scary notice from the FBI. Apparently the discussion was on Megaupload, a massive file sharing service, which the U.S. government shut down. Criminal charges are pending.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Just this week, I met some college students who had never heard of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE! You have your work cut out for you. Something with very famous stars might appeal. I like Chio's suggestion of noir. Most people seem to like it. MALTESE FALCON, THE BIG SLEEP. Maybe OUT OF THE PAST. What about something romantic and stirring? That old-fashioned Hollywood feeling. Not GWTW, but something in that vein. Demille? Curtiz? Everybody likes CASABLANCA! But that's probably what you DON'T want.

Clint Eastwood films, since he's been in the news so much lately.

You'd need an extra chair!
norfious

Post by norfious »

Apologies for my late response; I've been a bit under the weather for some time.

To clear up the type of "community" I meant: As a matter of fact, this is an event for college students! I have been put in charge of organizing events for my fellow students in my major, so I thought: "Why not a movie night?" Unfortunately, my major is more under the category of Science, rather than Art, so not many of my peers know about classic films....or film in general. This will, indeed, be a learning experience for them! Hey, if I am in charge, I am going to show films that are actually enriching. :)

Anyway, thank you for all the suggestions! I'll try to catch up here and reply to everyone as soon as I can:

Miss Goddess: Ooh, yes, Hitchcock films are a great idea. Not only are they really captivating and hold viewers on the edge of their seats, but most people have at least heard of Alfred Hitchcock! That should bring folks in. I also like your suggestion of some silent comedy shorts to kick off another movie--definitely a great "spoon-feeding" mechanism, as you say! :P

moriafinne:
Ah yes, Halloween classics are always fun, and certainly recognizable! Your idea of a double-feature is one I'd definitely like to try, if the event was longer! I am trying to cram the movies in between classes, so I only have about 2 hours max.

more responses to come later when I get a minute....
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

ChiO:

How great to see that you programmed "A Chump At Oxford." Always fun and a wonderful alternative to the popular early features. "Talk of The Town" is terrific. Three of the great film voices all together. There were some others that I would have enjoyed seeing.

No such luck getting classes like that around here.

(Sorry I didn't mention those earlier.)
Chris

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Movieman --

I was thinking of you while we watched A CHUMP AT OXFORD -- which was enjoyed by all (though the consensus was that the hedge-maze scene went longer than necessary).

Norfious --

Maybe, at least as a starter, you could try some Science/Scientist movies, both well-known and not as well-known among non-enthusiasts.

Frankenstein (how obvious is that?)
Monkey Business (Hawks-Grant-Rogers -Monroe-chimp, not Marx Brothers)
The Wasp Woman (B-movie, drive-in heaven)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (pick a version, though I'm partial to Mamoulian's)
The Fly (either version, but the first probably fits your "classic" better)
The Nutty Professor (no, not the Eddie Murphy version)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Being a total dummy for Westerns, I suggest a few that are pretty much family oriented such as: Trooper Hook, Fort Apache, Westward the Women (including the back story explaining how the ladies lived on the prairie for 3 months learning how to manage a mule team, change wagon wheels, shoot guns and rifles, etc. before the cameras started rolling.) I had to laugh at the repeat of Star in My Crown, one of my very favorites.

I would also suggest the originals of some of the recent remakes such as: 3:10 to Yuma, War of the Worlds, Cheaper by the Dozen, The Thing (from another world), Father of the Bride and Father's Little Dividend (called Part II in the remake).

I've always maintained that the remakes never equal the charm and interest of the originals except occasionally like with Sabrina.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
norfious

Post by norfious »

Apologies again for scattered/late responses.

I am doing classic horror movies for the month of October, starting with The Haunting! I'm thinking I'll show my favorite The House on Haunted Hill next.

Thanks for all your suggestions, everyone! I'll definitely keep them all in mind. :)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Omigosh, norfious. I hope you'll let us know how people respond to The Haunting (1963). It is one of the scariest movies ever (and all because it makes us imagine what is there). The Haunting of Hill House is also quite fun. These are great choices.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks