Classic Films for Non-Enthusiasts

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Professional Tourist

Re: Classic Films for Non-Enthusiasts

Post by Professional Tourist »

Since so many young people these days tend to be turned off to black-and-white photography, they might show more interest in the wide-screen Technicolor pictures of the 1950s. A few titles: Anastasia, The Swan, Show Boat, The Story of Three Loves, The Man Who Knew Too Much (Hitchcock), Ben-Hur.

Where science students are the intended audience, perhaps science-fiction films of the fifties would be of interest to them, such as: The Day the Earth Stood Still, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Forbidden Planet, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Fly, Journey to the Center of the Earth, On the Beach.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Getting a little off topic but not really knowing where to place this, my 10 year old daughter has been studying film at school, interpreting how film uses the script, camera, angles etc to tell a story, their film they've studied which has fitted in with their topic, Titanic. Not my favourite movie but they have to pick a modern movie, I suppose it's as good as any. How I could teach her so much more, we've decided to show her one of Zhang Yimou's films because what she really seems to have come away from her class with is the use of colour. I'm hoping she'll pick up my enthusiasm for movies, she has picked it up for history and literature. Fingers crossed.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

They should watch the 1953 TITANIC and compare.