Favorite TV Shows

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lomm
Administrator

Re: Favorite TV Shows

Post by Lomm »

RedRiver wrote:I could drive myself batty considering the difference between realism and believability. But there is one. Something can feel genuine within the confines of the story, thanks to the creativity of writer and director, even though it would rarely happen in real life.
Oh sure, they do it all the time on network TV shows, and quite well on the good ones. The language isn't really "missed" at all. To pick a popular character at random, Sawyer, on Lost. He was obviously the type who would curse up a storm in real life. They got around it. He still cursed, but it was PG. On Firefly they made up an entire new language of curse words, and it was brilliant. :) And to leave the world of TV, of course our beloved Classic films didn't use any harsh language at all to speak of.

I guess language doesn't bother me, and its presence in a show never detracts, for me. If it's not there, it's not as if I find a show "unrealistic", or am bothered by its absence at all. I just know how people generally talk and it doesn't phase me at all to hear it on TV and in movies. Necessary? Nope. But I'm fine with it (using my caveats from earlier).
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

To tell the truth, I don't remember the F word coming up constantly when I was a kid. Or a college student. I think that's the product of the generation that followed.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

You are so right about Firefly about the whole new language of curse words Lomm ... I find it the show is very creative in terms of work around that aspect in a subtle way possible. I hope you understand what I'm saying here.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_worship:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Tales of Wells Fargo. Love this 50's wester show that Gritt TV and INSP are featuring.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

My favorite shows chronologically would be: I Love Lucy, Peyton Place, Mission Impossible, The Carol Burnett Show, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Waltons, The Muppet Show, Taxi, Knots Landing, Cagney and Lacey, St. Elsewhere, Remington Steele, Newhart, Murder She Wrote, Moonlighting, The Golden Girls, LA Law, thirtysomething, China Beach, Twin Peaks, Poirot, Homefront, NYPD Blue, Frasier, ER, The Practice, Ally McBeal, Gilmore Girls, Desperate Housewives, Boston Legal, Pushing Daisies, Downton Abbey, and The Gilded Age
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Here are some links to the pilot episodes of some rare early 90s series that might be found to be interesting here, as they are all period-set shows.

Homefront (set in the 1940s)

Brooklyn Bridge (set in the 1950s)

I'll Fly Away (set in the early 1960s)