Favorite TV Shows

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Rita Hayworth

Re: Favorite TV Shows

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:
SUPERMAN is my personal favorite. It's hard to call it "The Best," with its rock bottom production values and childlike tone. But the show is simply adorable!
I have all 120 Shows on DVD and I never, ever get tired of watching them ... on a rainy day and nothing to do ... I just watch 2-3 hours of SUPERMAN to get my youthful yore.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I have the first four seasons, I believe. I've never found the others at an affordable price. Brand new is too much for me!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oops, you are right, ChiO. I knew there was a link up with some movie by a mittle European director. :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:Oops, you are right, ChiO. I knew there was a link up with some movie by a mittle European director. :D
Yet since Wilder was enormously influenced by Lubitsch, perhaps it's just a matter of a "degree of separation". :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

When I watch a few SUPERMAN episodes in a row, I watch the opening sequence (Faster than a speeding bullet) with each one. How can I resist? That's the best part! Rita Hayworth, I bet you do this too!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I don't watch much TV now, as a rule... I feel it has contributed to "the dumbing of America (& Canada)" syndrome now prevalent...
I watch "the news", which isn't really (over reporting on dull old items) and tune out all commercials & advertising.

I do watch "Coronation Street", which is British and just as stupid & unreal as the North American ones; but it resolves its episodes quickly - not dragged on as over here.

And, I do watch "The Big Bang Theory" - ridiculous but intelligently written...

In the past, I have watched:
Frasier & Cheers
Barney Miller
Boomtown
MASH
Frank's Place
Hogan's Heroes

Chris - I'm with you - I never cared for Seinfeld (the man & the show)....

Larry
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:When I watch a few SUPERMAN episodes in a row, I watch the opening sequence (Faster than a speeding bullet) with each one. How can I resist? That's the best part! Rita Hayworth, I bet you do this too!
Very much so RedRiver!!! ... I'm with you all the way ...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

What was Boomtown?
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I don't know that one either, Wendy. Anything like the movie?
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Kiddies,

Boomtown was an investigative cop show starring Donny Wahlberg among others.
It showed the crime and the investigation from different time and location points; and went back and forth showing the story from each characters' view point and involvement...

I think it was on for only 2 seasons, as it could be confusing; and I think it failed because most of the public was too stupid and impatient to stick with it.

I have a great admiration for Donny Wahlberg as an actor, after seeing him in "The Sixth Sense" and then this show. His 'boy band' singing days don't interest me...

Larry
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

As I was leaving the house, I turned on the TV to entertain my dog. The first person I saw was Gilbert Roland. The second was Flint McCullough! WAGON TRAIN was on. And one of the good ones. I didn't stay and watch. I had things to do. But I wanted to. I'm going to have to avoid that channel on Saturday mornings. Sugar and Bunny can watch something else! (Bunny is a stuffed animal!)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Awww, that's so sweet! She has her own stuffed animal and she doesn't shred it! I have the most adorable picture of Sug in my head now, all snuggled up with Bunny.

We literally can't keep Lily in stuffed animals. We're starting to go for the big ones, with lots of parts to chew so they last longer. She refuses to get rid of some of the pelts left over, we try to remember what they used to be when she pulls them out of her toy basket. :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

To be honest, Sugar doesn't give two hoots for Bunny. She doesn't care if Bunny is stuffed or mounted!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Lily likes the squeakers. She rips them out and then chews the hard plastic nob at the top out, which can't be good for her, though I don't think she's ever swallowed one. Then she de-stuffs them, she likes to chew holes in the pelt and then literally shakes the stuffing out of them. She's at her happiest when the white fuzz is all around her, and my living room looks like an avalanche of fluff fell into it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I think I have a couple of new (sadly short run) favorites, just judging by early episodes:

ARREST AND TRIAL with Ben Gazzara and Chuck Connors
THE 87TH PRECINCT (original) with Robert Lansing and Gena Rowlands

Has anyone here seen them that could share their thoughts? I'm seriously thinking about buying the DVD sets.

I've never seen much of LAW AND ORDER, but have read that it draws much of its inspiration (or format) from A&T. I like A&T because it seems to go into character and situations more deeply and the "law" or it's implementation is not always the "hero". I also think it was cast rather cleverly---ordinarily I would think Connors no-nonsense toughness would put him in the role of the cop and Gazarra's smooth method intellectuality would put him easily in the shoes of the defense lawyer, but that's not the case here.

I've only watched the pilot for 87, but I found it realistic with a rather fascinating twist in having the main detective's wife not just a pretty face, but very spunky and doesn't let her deaf/mute condition stop her from helping her husband solve crime. :D

I love this stuff. I find I'm becoming a really big police/detective show fan.

87th Precinct

Arrest and Trial
Last edited by MissGoddess on May 30th, 2014, 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers