Favorite TV Shows

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
RedRiver

Re: Favorite TV Shows

Post by RedRiver »

I've never seen hide nor hair of 87th PRECINCT. Obviously, it was based on Ed McBain's masterful police novels. Those are some of the fastest, bluntest, most delicious page turners I've read! I'd love to see the show.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Where can I see these April?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The complete thirty episodes of 87th Precinct were released on DVD in 2012. It is available through Classicflix and can be purchased below. I've never seen it or Arrest and Trial either.

http://www.amazon.com/Ed-McBains-87th-P ... B007S3GIM6

Some of 87th Precinct seem to be on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... l+episodes

Arrest and Trial is on there too:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +tv+series
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I just found the second set of Arrest and Trial at Netflix.

Thanks, Moira.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I rented "Arrest and Trial" from ClassicFlix and found the pilot for "87th Precinct" on YouTube.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Author Ed McBain went to his grave insisting HILL STREET BLUES owed a lot to his 87th Precinct stories. Right or wrong, he had a point!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Just because I was getting low in my Netflix queue I got the first disc for "Get Smart."

I watched the pilot and surprisingly many of the aspects of the show are already there. The pilot was done in black and white. (The only show shot that way.)

Two references to movies include Brooks's commentary on how Don Adams sends up William Powell and right before the credits Adams pulls a Buster Keaton gag from "The Navigator."

The shoe phone and the Cone Of Silence are here and once past the introductions it is on its way.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I used to love Get Smart. I haven't seen it in years. Maybe it's time to come around to it again.

I discovered Quantum Leap this morning from 6 to 10 am ET on Esquire channel.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My favorite show of all (nothing else even comes close), THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, is scheduled to join the ME TV line-up! Maybe even today. I'm not sure. I never watch TV in the daytime. Even my love for this purely delightful camp classic probably won't change that. I have half of them on video anyway! Nonetheless, it touches my heart that this once beloved icon is not forgotten. A lot of 60 year-old boys will enjoy this!

"Who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter for The Daily Planet, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way!" Take that, you 1950s communist sympathizers!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:My favorite show of all (nothing else even comes close), THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, is scheduled to join the ME TV line-up! Maybe even today. I'm not sure. I never watch TV in the daytime. Even my love for this purely delightful camp classic probably won't change that. I have half of them on video anyway! Nonetheless, it touches my heart that this once beloved icon is not forgotten. A lot of 60 year-old boys will enjoy this!

"Who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter for The Daily Planet, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way!" Take that, you 1950s communist sympathizers!

I have the whole (all 120 shows) series on DVD and I do watch an episode or two on a weekly basis. It's among my top ten TV Shows of all time ... and I dearly loved it always Red River! :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Red, it warms my heart that SUPERMAN will once again be airing on television.

You know how popular the show was when you have an involuntary reaction to any of it's cast showing up somewhere else. John Hamilton shows up quite often in TCM movies, and I still always say to myself, "There's PERRY WHITE!" (In fact, I'm ashamed to admit that I had to look up the actor's name to write this)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Masha, I've been dying to see the new Doctor Who. I think I saw it listed on Hulu Plus for those of us who don't have BBC America in our cable lineup. There are also a ton of special Doctor Who documentary programs there as well.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wendy, I love seeing John Hamilton in movies. He makes a good police commissioner, district attorney, etc. He just might be in MALTESE FALCON. I'm not sure. Jack Larson turns up in DICK VAN DYKE. "Cause I'm the kind of a guy who likes to loosen his tie..." Don't remember EVER seeing Noel Neil in anything else. Too bad. The lady positively bubbled with personality!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I had a very tiny crush on Jack Larson when I was a kid. I imagine it was tough for him to be so identified with his role. It's one thing to be forever known as Superman, at least you are a grown man and a hero....but Larson was forever a boy and kind of a helpless one at that.