Downton Abbey

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Downton Abbey

Post by moira finnie »

The bad news:
I just realized that tonight is the finale of Downton for this season. Too short a season, no?

The good news:
These two are still together...

These two seem closer than ever...
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I loved the ending with Carson and Mrs. Hughes.

I also surprisingly loved the whole romance with Mosely. This has been the most satisfactory outcome of a plot line in the whole series...maybe because they strung us along with his shenanigans for so long. I almost cheered when he showed the natural courage to confront Thomas.

So glad that Mary burned the ticket. I'm liking both her boyfriends more. Nice to see Andrew Foyle (Julian Ovenden) working again. :D Every time I start leaning toward him as a potential mate for Mary, the other one comes in and does some thing nice, like he did last night. I don't think he's out of the running, even though Ovenden is far more like Matthew.

I also liked Edith's two touching moments in this episode - one with the farmer who is adopting her baby, and one with Branson. She showed so much more animation than she ever did with Gregson. This is the Edith I like, not whiny Edith. :D I just wish she would settle down into that straightforward character. I wonder if it just wouldn't be better for Edith to leave the family completely to do good works on the land...she's always had a thing about farming. She seems to be torn to shreds by her own feelings of inadequacy and jealousy when she's with the family or in society. She talks about being afraid to take a step towards change, but the aristocratic life is killing her and she's so much happier and stronger when she's bucking the system on her own. The family's view of her is what makes her ugly. Not really their fault, more hers, but still... it does her no good, and makes her take on the role of a bland runner up - selfish and spiteful.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Okey-dokey, all caught up.

*Spoilers Below*

I normally like Paul Giamatti enormously, but this part as Cora's brother seems to ask him to be a clueless, hopelessly American bull in the china shop. Is it enough for him to sink his teeth into during his screen time? I don't think so. Could someone please give Shirley MacLaine's character her broomstick so that she could fly away back into the Grimm Fairy Tale where she belongs? Jeez, she thinks she's hot stuff, doesn't she?

Even though she obviously sank her talons into Violet (Maggie Smith) enough to draw a bit of her aristocratic blood with that comparison between their worlds of the future and the past, Cora's mom is such a vulgarian and so scary looking, I kept wondering what James Fox's impoverished nobleman saw in her aside from a meal ticket.

Hey--has it occurred to anyone that the machinations of Thomas Barrow (Robert James-Collier) are reminiscent of Dirk Bogarde's weirdness in The Servant (1963)? Maybe it was the presence of Bogarde's victim, James Fox, in the cast last night that triggered this thought. What happened to those flashes of angst we saw last season that helped to give Thomas' villainy some complexity and even sympathy?
JackFavell wrote:I also surprisingly loved the whole romance with Mosely. This has been the most satisfactory outcome of a plot line in the whole series...maybe because they strung us along with his shenanigans for so long. I almost cheered when he showed the natural courage to confront Thomas.
This may be the best part about last night's episode. I really like the moment when Phyllis (Raquel Cassidy) tells Molesley (Kevin Doyle), "It was your strength" that helped me, and he said "MY strength?!" in disbelief. Any guesses on what Barrow may have on the lady's maid to have kept her being manipulated?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:The last half of the season made up for the shortcomings of the first half. Bates to the rescue of the monarchy!
I'm crossing my fingers that Bates is innocent of a certain other crime too. Unless, of course, he turns out to have had the original "license to kill" thanks to service to the monarchy.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i'm still so jealous i can't watch this show because i want to see it from the beginning. i hope it goes to netflix, soon.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I enjoyed Paul Giamatti very much, I liked that his character started out as a rich clueless American, almost as vulgar as Shirley MacLaine...but then shifted a bit, showing us that he KNEW he was seen as a clueless American. I thought the young girl he was with most of the time was very good as well. Perhaps she'll be there for one of Mary's cast-offs to take up with when that all gets resolved.

I have to say, I really dislike Shirley MacLaine's character (not that I think she's there to be liked), I can't see where Cora gets her inner grace from. As romantic as the story might be in someone's head (sort of an Elizabeth Bennett thing going on with Cora and Robert, though I believe she had all the money), I think this character is a dreadful mis-step on the part of the show's creators. I can't imagine Robert marrying the daughter of that woman under any circumstances.

I also was wondering why James Fox was wasted on Shirley. I would have liked to see him with almost anyone else, and in fact, for a moment I thought he was the same fellow wooing Isobel Crawley. It was wonderful to see him again though. Geez, that Fox family certainly ages well. Great call on THE SERVANT tie in... I think you are very much onto something there with Thomas' character.

I did enjoy that final scene with Daisy and Mrs. Patmore at the seaside. I think it was clear from the beginning that Ivy was going to try for that cook's position in the states.

Was I wrong or was Bates actually the 'friend' who knew how to forge handwriting? I wonder if Bates has other secret talents learned in prison? will he have to use them again in later episodes?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Some things just drive me crazy.

1. Edith and Tom Branson would be perfect together but sisters . . .
2. I agree about Robert seeing Cora past her mother, but that must have been hard. Maybe Cora was staying with someone else when they met.
3. I think Shirley Mac had to have that fling with the Lord so she could make that speech to Violet, sad for Violet, but quite true.
4. I liked Paul Giamatti and thought he did a fine job of changing from a chubby lunk to a refined gentleman, all in 45 minutes.
5. I'm still having trouble keeping Mary's two suitors apart, and last night had more trouble with the Lord and Isobel's friend.
6. I can't believe after we mentioned Daisy's father in law, he suddenly appeared again last week.
7. I'm quite sure Bates had something to do with Greene, but as Mary said, he deserved whatever he got because of what he did/
8. Finally, what the heck is Edith up to? I just watched again to see who that farmer was. If you recall during the first discussion, the aunt scolded Edith and said to let it go because all was now said and done. I guess Edith left the baby in Switzerland to let the nuns find a family for her, but it seems that now Edith is getting the baby to bring back so this farmer and his wife can raise her as one of their own, but close enough so that Edith can see her occasionally. The thing is, I didn't like how the farmer suggested that only he and Edith know about the baby. I didn't like the look on his face. I wonder if good old Julian is leading us up another primrose path????
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Wen, I agree about Paul Giamatti showing some self-awarness as Cora's brother, but there was just not enough for him to do.

While I think what Cora's mom said to Violet was true, the difference between verbal banter and bloodying an opponent is apparently lost on Shirley's character. I also can't imagine how Robert made himself court her daughter--but her inner and outer loveliness (largely unexplored this season) must have been as evident as her cash flow back then.

Anne--I find the whole "Edith's Baby in Switzerland" bit hard to follow anyway, but the idea of getting the baby to live with a local farmer (who is not telling his wife whose infant he has brought home) just gives me a headache. I like soap operas up to a point, but Edith's story line is getting way too convoluted for me. And don't get me started on her beloved and the Brown Shirts in Germany!

I was glad when Daisy's father-in-law showed up and encouraged her to dive back into life (even though he still hopes she'll come to live on the farm).

Best moment of the epi: Daisy tells Mrs. Patmore how lovely it is to have a young man courting her!

Second Best moment in the epi: Daisy looks pretty and relaxed for once!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'd actually love for this series to wind up being Daisy's story. In the end, I think she has the most potential of all the characters.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I don't know what happened but at the beginning of this season I searched for this thread because I knew there was one but it never showed up so I've been posting on the PBS thread all of this season. Now with this tonight being the second to last episode for the No. 5 season, it's kind of late to have found it but since there was very little interest posted, I guess most of you have given up on it, but not ME. I'm still engrossed in the various plots and twists. I hope we have a more lively thread next season, which means next January I guess, unless something earth shattering happens tonight.
Anne

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. I can't believe no body has posted about Anna. I'm going to look up my recorded episodes (I have all of them on DVR), to see exactly what was happening when Green was killed. Right now I can't recall when she was in London alone or not at Mary's side when they were there. Could Julian be setting up a little romance for Mary and Tom? They are working awfully closely together and the next and last season episode is going to be at Atticus' family home, at which time we'll learn about Anna, and gibe Tom and Mary time to get to work together more.
Anne

Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Not sure if this is the most recent thread on DOWNTON ABBEY . Just wanted to say the very last episode was screened on Christmas Day in the UK. A very satisfactory ending to this great series. I wouldnt dream of giving away any spoilers for US fans!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

After watching "The Abominable Bride" on Masterpiece Theater last night, there was a special teaser hosted by the loverly Robert, Earl of Grantham. Lots of look backs and some interesting clips of the new season. Can hardly wait!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard