Downton Abbey

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Downton Abbey

Post by moira finnie »

Yes, that's very nice, but where are the below stairs felines? It would be a cat-astrophe if the Granthams had to muddle along without them.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

they aren't the ones on the parapet and peeping out the windows? or have they secretly enslaved mice belowstairs to do their bidding?
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:they aren't the ones on the parapet and peeping out the windows? or have they secretly enslaved mice belowstairs to do their bidding?
Maybe those other kitties are Carson, Mrs. Hughes and Mrs. Patmore! I don't know if this household is ready for mixed species among the help.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ha! i've never actually seen an episode of this series but i hope to one day, if only for the beautiful setting. :)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I enjoyed last night's episode more than I thought I would. I've discovered that I really like Mary. No pretense with her.

DOWNTON SPOILERS

Edith seemed rather lackluster. I thought at some point she would come out of her shell and throw off that rather diffident manner, but even in her love scenes she couldn't generate any warmth last night. It bothered me that she seemed to be playing a game with this man who is smitten with her enough to throw it all away and move to Germany... (I think maybe we see where this is going). Maybe she is really just a dabbler at life.

I wanted to strangle the Earl of Grantham in almost every scene last night.

I very much liked Rose's adventure. Though I can't imagine why Anna didn't tell the young fellow who showed up at the house to leave right quick, instead letting Rose go to meet him dressed as a maid.

I also have more and more respect for the actors who play Carson and especially Mrs. Hughes, they are always entertaining and spot on. Mrs. Hughes is just about my favorite character now.

I also love Daisy, and the nice gesture from Mrs. Patmore on Valentine's day.

Maggie Smith seemed under the weather, though maybe it was just the general malaise over the household after Mathew's death. The moment I loved best was how she pronounced the words "crops...and livestock."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Naturally I have a few comments and a couple of questions as well.

I, for one, will not miss Mrs. O'Brien at all. I agree that the whole show seemed to be under a pall due to Matthew's demise, but come on Mr. Fellows, it's been six months and although a very sad experience, everyone cheered up a lot quicker after Sybil's death and she was a direct daughter of the house while he was an in-law.

Up to now, Mr. Fellows has written Mary as very stern and driven by the rules of etiquette and for her to finally break down to Mr Carson was a bit much to accept, although as an afterthought, I guess he is close to a second father for her, and probably more openly affectionate than dear old Dad. Also, as she said, Matthew was really the only one who was able to bring out the softness in her, but hopefully, she'll warm up a little now.

I am hoping that Gregson is really going to Germany for Edith's sake and not because he is interested in Hitler's early ramblings. He IS a newsman after all, and he may well have been attracted to Adolph's ideas. I would hate to see Edith stuck in Germany, as she's not as daring as Sybil was, so she may be caught there throughout the war. And, yes, Jack Favell, Edith does seem more dis-interested - maybe she doesn't like the guy who's playing Gregson.

So glad Cora caught the nanny as she did, and acted so quickly and firmly, (She was quite scary.) but when Bates heard her again thanking Thomas for his help, and saw Thomas and the new lady's maid getting chummy, he's so sharp, he should put 2 and 2 together and figure out the dilemma of Anna being accused of being unfriendly to the maid.

I know Mary gets a new guy this season, but I hope poor Tom finds someone too. He's in a tight spot, he's common folk, but is now part of a titled family. How does that work? Is he eligible for other young ladies, or does he have to stick with the lower class?

Does anyone recall what happened to the farm belonging to Daisy's 'husband'? Did she resolve anything with his father or is that still hanging?

One more question that has nothing to do with Downton but with my recent discovery of British T.V. mystery, although Wallender is Swedish. Anyway, in a couple of situations, I've heard someone being offered spotted dick and custard. Please tell this American what the heck spotted dick is? In this country that term congers up some rather weird sexual thoughts, unless I'm just a dirty old lady.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Spotted dick and custard is a pudding made of mutton fat and sprinkled with raisins or other dried fruit. It also has sugar, molasses to help give it a pastry dough.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/1 ... 59693.html

I like "Wallendar" although there is little Swedish about Brannagh's version. There is the original Swedish version that streams on Netflix but I haven't started one yet.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

That is something that I had in London back in 2001 - I was reading your link and thanks for pointing out and I had to go to my diary of my trip and I just couldn't put a name to it and now you helped me out Chris. Thanks for everything.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'd be interested to hear what you think about the news series of Downton, I felt it had gone off the boil for this series, there are some good moments though and good characters.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hey Alison...just want to send you my greetings and salutations! Merry Christmas and a very healthy happy New Year!!

:-)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I felt that it had gone off a little at the end of last season, and the timing of the first episode this season seemed off. But I thought the actress who plays Mary was magnificent, and I liked her storyline quite a lot. The rest wasn't bad, but wasn't as thrilling as it might have been.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

CharlieChaplin:

I'm with you wondering what others have to say about the season premier episode. I asked a couple of questions but nobody answered except for the custard. I'm sure a lot of our members watched the show, and especially with the weather we've been having all over the U.S. since New Years Day between freezing cold, snow up to one foot, and just cold, cold, cold over more than half of the U.S., they must have had time to post, but who knows where they are, maybe their connections are interrupted.

One thing I failed to mention was what was that whole thing with Moseley about? Why write it in at all? Instead of leaving him as a kind of lost soul, he could have just been given a job with some other family and be done with him, unless Mr. Fellows plans on bringing him back into the fold. What do you folks think?
Anne

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't know why they brought Mosely back, I am hoping there's a reason besides just comic relief, because frankly, when the show tries for comedy, I think it's at it's weakest.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I can't imagine where are all the folks that watched and posted last season, unless they're waiting to watch several episodes in a string. Whatever the case is, I knew something was going to happen with Anna and Bates, but I never dreamed it would be that! I have to agree with Anna though about not telling Bates, he definitely would have gone and killed that moron.

Since you mentioned it last week, I feel even more that there is no chemistry at all between Edith and Gregson. Those are two extremely mis-matched actors for the parts they are portraying.

Anne

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Unfortunately, I kind of guessed what was going to happen to Anna right at the beginning of the show, because right when I tuned in, there was a disclaimer stating that adult themes were being dealt with in this episode. Kind of took the shock out of it, but it was horrific enough as it was.

I really like the actor playing Gregson. I just wish there seemed to be more feeling on Edith's part. I don't know if the director was going for that kind of 1920's Noel Coward laissez faire attitude and mis-fired, or if they really just aren't supposed to be sparky or have any chemistry. It's bothering me because I like the storyline, and the actor, just not the follow through in romance of these two.