Downton Abbey

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MissGoddess

Re: Downton Abbey

Post by MissGoddess »

I haven't read through this thread but I have to confess that I watched an episode of this series for the first time while no vacation. My hosts are big fans and I also confess I am now curious enough to want to see it from the beginning. However, neither Netflix nor PBS seem to have the series streaming online. Is it on DVD via Netflix, does anyone know?
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Dahling Miss Goddess:

I can't believe you've never been into DA yet. I know you can order seasons I, II, III, online from the PBS.com site, and I've seen it at Walmart, but at full price. As for renting, I don't know about that, but all the so-called discount stores like Target, etc. have all the seasons for sale. I'm really glad to learn that you are now on board.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Miss G.,
I don't know about Netflix, but if you have Amazon Prime you can see each past season for free streaming online. Also, PBS trotted out the entire series in some markets prior to the kickoff of Season 4, so it might occur in your area again. Many libraries around the country have each season on DVD as well.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hmmm, well, if I manage to hear about another PBS airing it will be my best bet. I'm not going to buy the series unseen and I never have time for the library.
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Miss Goddess:

I promise since I haven't yet been able to learn how to make copies on my intelligent (operator is stupid), DVD recorder, if PBS shows the whole series again any time sooner or later, I will let you know ASAP, because I watch Channel 11 and 20 all the time.
Anne

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

mrsl wrote:.
Miss Goddess:

I promise since I haven't yet been able to learn how to make copies on my intelligent (operator is stupid), DVD recorder, if PBS shows the whole series again any time sooner or later, I will let you know ASAP, because I watch Channel 11 and 20 all the time.
that would be super, mahalo, Anne!
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Woohoo, the fat is in the fire now!!!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

knitwit45 wrote:Woohoo, the fat is in the fire now!!!!
The Bates "Glare of Death" is upon him!! Not to mention that of Mrs. Hughes!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Was that glare enough to make you gulp? Moira, I love your "Glare of death". Perfection :
lol: :lol: :lol:
Anne

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

mrsl wrote:.
Was that glare enough to make you gulp? Moira, I love your "Glare of death". Perfection :
lol: :lol: :lol:
I loved that look--and the gin game between a recovering Violet (Maggie Smith) and Isobel (Penelope Wilton) when Violet asked "How long does this game go on?" and says "Goodie!" when she learns it is fairly endless. Hope Thomas finds something to think about besides Machiavellian schemes in America!! (Go to Greenwich Village).

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:We're all looking forward to next week, aren't we?

A little off topic: in the Ralph Lauren ad which accompanies the show, is anyone else creeped out by the extremely skinny arms of the model who has a solo shot in a black dress? In spite of everything we know about the fashion industry, I'm still shocked that anyone would want to highlight the young woman's probable anorexia in this way.
I kept wondering what "world" Ralph thinks he is creating with the Russian-inspired duds (by way of a Ruritanian operetta) worn by what look like 13-year-old models. One of the more amusing aspects of high fashion: everyone always looks so wan and p.o.ed while wearing such pricey glad rags! I get a lot of laughs out of the ads in Vanity Fair and The New Yorker thanks to the ads for luxury goods--well before checking out the articles.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

rut-row.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

_______________*SPOILERS BELOW*_________________________________

Okay!! Here's how I am hoping Mr. Greene was eliminated.

Bates ducks out of the Abbey for a day. He happens to find himself in York. It just occurs to him that Lord Gillingham and his valet are also in the city that day. What a coincidence! Bates hangs out discreetly in the street until he sees Greene leave the house where they are staying to run some errands. Bates begins to shadow him, but the justly paranoid Greene senses him behind him, dodging through crowds, ducking into doorways at every turn. Gradually, Bates gets closer, tap, tap, tapping his cane while Greene feels his eyes upon him. Hoping that there would be safety in numbers, the valet goes to the most crowded part of town, pushing through people on the sidewalks and in the stores and streets. Finally, Greene hops on a streetcar, hoping to leave Bates behind in the dust. Sighing with relief, he sinks into the first seat available. Looking up, he sees.....BATES!!! Terrified now, he abruptly jumps up, pulls the cord to get the streetcar to stop and tries to hop off the moving vehicle before it stops--hurry, hurry, he thinks as he steps off into air--and THUD!...*

This leaves Bates morally and legally not responsible for Greene's demise, no?

My other theories:

1.) Unlikely since Bates tends to be a loner, but maybe: Bates had one of his prison pals do the deed.

2,) Lord Gillingham found out about Mr. Greene and saw to it that he just got what he deserved.

3.) Greene was as unlucky as he was beastly.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I finally caught up!

Greene could also have another enemy you know. There could be other Bateses out there, waiting for him.... but I think you're theory is the best. I'd like to think he found himself hunted and scared at some point. Payback.