Mini Series. More to come?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
fxreyman

Re: Mini Series. More to come?

Post by fxreyman »

Well I just saw this earlier today....

Spielberg and Hanks are again reuniting to produce another WWII mini series for HBO entitled:

Masters of the Air

It is going to be about the B-17 bomber raids over Germany. A story told so well in Twelve O'Clock High and Command Decision.

Here is a press release - sort of....

http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/2013/04 ... f-the-air/
fxreyman

Post by fxreyman »

I just read with much interest that yet another mini-series is scheduled to debut sometime late in 2013.....

From Wikipedia:

To Appomattox is an upcoming American television eight-hour miniseries centering around the military service of General Ulysses S. Grant, leading up to the surrender of General Robert E. Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox, which effectively ended the American Civil War in the East. The series begins with Grant as a young boy, then follows his years as a cadet at the United States Military Academy at West Point along with future Civil War officers, the Mexican War, the Civil War years, then the decades following. The series is being produced by Michael Frost Beckner (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, The Agency), Thomas Augsberger (the Twilight Saga, Mr. Brooks) and Mikael Salomon (Rome, Band of Brothers). The series was written by Michael Frost Beckner, and will be directed by Mikael Salomon. The series is listed for release sometime in late 2013.

The following actors are portraying various generals and other supporting characters on both sides:

Main cast

Rob Lowe as Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant
Will Patton as General Robert E. Lee
Stephen Lang as Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States
William Petersen as Maj. Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman

Supporting cast (Union)

Kim Delaney as First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln
Neal McDonough as Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker
Matt Rogers as Quartermaster General Rufus Ingalls
Dwight Yoakam as Maj. Gen. George Meade
Jason O'Mara as Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan
Damian Lewis as Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson
Kix Brooks as Maj. Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock
John Scurti as Maj. Gen. Ambrose Burnside
Kevin Farley as Maj. Gen. Henry Halleck
Helen McCrory as Julia Dent Grant
Patrick Gorman as Maj. Gen. Charles Ferguson Smith

Supporting cast (Confederacy)

Bill Paxton as Lt. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson
D.B. Sweeney as Lt. Gen. James Longstreet
Noah Wyle as Maj. Gen. George Pickett
Trace Adkins as Brig. Gen. John Gregg
Paige Turco as Sallie Corbell Pickett
Powers Boothe as General Albert Sidney Johnston
Walton Goggins as Lt. Gen. Richard Ewell
Nick Searcy as General Joseph E. Johnston
Sara Evans as Varina Howell Davis
Carl Edwards as Maj. Gen. John Brown Gordon
Laura Bell Bundy as Abby Dunlap
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Rey,

Thanks for sharing this to all of us here ... I will be definitely be looking forward seeing this on television. :)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

In the old world of miniseries I started the 1980 "Masada." It had been on my Netflix list for over a year with a "Very long wait" attached to it. Finally, I moved it up and got the first disc.

The story is about a village of Jews who in rebellion of Roman rule live on a natural mountain fortress called "Masada." Their leader is played by Peter Strauss. The leader of the Roman legion there is Peter O'Toole. Early on, as a way to show their displeasure at the Romans still occupying the land, The Jews run raids on the Roman installation. O'Toole is a shrewd but practical man hoping, after a meeting with Strauss, that he can persuade Rome to agree to terms, which even O'Toole finds reasonable. The trouble is no one else does.

Thus begins the siege. The Romans think they have the upper hand because they are at the bottom of this mountain but, for a while at least, they don't. Stuck in the desert with little water they labor to find a way to bring them off the mountain.

So far, it is worth just to watch O'Toole. Also, his meetings with Strauss are quite compelling. After the supporting roles of Anthony Quayle and Barbara Carrera the talent drops off. It is shot on location as that plays a huge part of the story.

Disc 2 coming.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I watched a little of MASADA when it was broadcast. O'Toole was always good.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I've always enjoyed the way the Brits do these. The joint British-American production of QBVII was one of the first miniseries that I remember seeing---Anthony Hopkins gave one of the more remarkable long format performances as the central character.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks