One small gripe to get off my chest

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

One small gripe to get off my chest

Post by mrsl »

I love my Chicago Bears, I like the Cubs, will watch hockey once in a while, but know very little about it, and the same goes for basketball. Even in Michael's hey day, I never got into Basketball, I watch the Super Bowl but enjoy it better when a team I like is in it, will usually watch a tie breaker for the championship games for baseball, and hockey, but what the heck is with basketball when it takes up 3 or 4 channels, and is on all day and all night? It's one thing to take over one of the cable channels, but when basketball intrudes on the network channels, I want to scream very loudly. How can a person watch basketball from noon to 5:00 p.m. then come back and watch more all evening long????? I've never been a sports player, but do enjoy watching, and I never minded if my man wanted to watch a particular game once in a while, but he would have been out in the garage (IN FEBRUARY AND MARCH IN CHICAGO WEATHER), if he insisted on seeing the entire playoffs for basketball. I'm a pretty understanding lady when it comes to someone's hobbies and/or favorite things, but I just don't get the fever that accompanies basketball playoffs. Cal me clueless I guess!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ChiO

Re: One small gripe to get off my chest

Post by ChiO »

what the heck is with basketball when it takes up 3 or 4 channels, and is on all day and all night?
In my corner of the Universe, it's called Heaven.

Or it was until Saturday night when the Butler Bulldogs were robbed...robbed, I tell ya.

Go IU!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

While I am no fan of March Madness the NCAA has been able to build this juggernaut into a Super Bowl like atmosphere where it is more about the setting than it is the game. And they are lucky enough that this goes on for a couple of weeks. It helps that more often than not some small school, this year read Florida Gulf Coast, manages to knock off some big school much to everyone's surprise thus garnering even more attention.

With 68 teams starting out they have to have several outlets so those of us who aren't that thrilled with it all are going to get pushed out of the way.

This stuff is so popular I think ESPN alone had registered some nearly 2,000,000 brackets. With that Florida school winning only about 77,000 are left,

This will be the way for years to come.

(My deepest sympathies ChiO.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Thank you, Movieman.

There is, of course, always some consolation. IU hung on to win. Illinois lost. And, best of all, Kentucky lost in the first round of the NIT. That alone makes the World right.
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like that this is not about a bunch of pampered millionaires who frequently get arrested. Yes, college athletes can be paid under the table. But officially, they do it for the school, the team and their own spiritual reasons. I like that some games are on late at night. That's when I watch TV. But I'm a man. No further explanation is required!

I, also, am OK with Kentucky being eliminated early. I hate the idea that that's the only college in the state with a basketball program. Does the name Louisville ring a bell?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I remember Darrell Griffith. I remember 1980.

Another season ending for me in depression.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MARCH MADNESS ... Win or Die!

I just can't stand it ...
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The great German word Schadenfreude means being happy about the unhappiness of others. In other words, LOVING IT when Kentucky loses to Robert Morris.
Schadenfreude is a marvelous word, but it is not applicable here. No. It does not capture the meaning, the Weltanschauung, as it were.

Is it Schadenfreude to cheer the toppling of a despot?

Is it Schadenfreude to give thanks that a demon has been consigned to Hell?

I think not.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Schadenfreude --- I know.

But Weltanschauung? Uh-oh. I might not be smart enough to visit you in Chi-Town. :(
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

As Marx would say, Say the Secret Word and divide a hundred dollars — it's a common word.... :P
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The president picked Indiana to win it all. I think he could be right.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I wait until it is down to the ELITE EIGHT and decide then who will win it all.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Well, I knew I was going to get static for my opinion, but remember, I never said I hated March Madness, just curious why it takes over so much time and so many channels. If you think about it, football and baseball (not sure about hockey), have only the highest scorers (with one chance for wild card teams), to join in the playoffs, so why can't College basketball do the same, even if they include up to 20 schools? As I said, far be it for me to refuse a fan his pleasures, so please, enjoy your madness, as I calmly pull out a favored DVD.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Static? Doesn't sound like it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."