Other British programming

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Other British programming

Post by mrsl »

Lately I've been watching quite a bit of British T.V. between PBS and BBC. Another PBS channel here in the Chicago area besides Channel 11, is Channel 20, WYCC. On Weekends quite often WYCC does marathons of mysteries a lot. Last weekend they ran several Agatha Christies, and different 'Inspector' shows like Inspector Morse, and Wallender. British detective programs don't give the killer away in the beginning like our writers often do. They keep you guessing like a good book.

And again on Channel 11, is Death in Paradise, a detective who hates sun, sea and sand, and is shocked by girls running around in bikinis. And although not a detective, I'm still onto Doc Martin. This is the quirkiest show I've ever seen. Every character has some sort of weird idiosyncrasy about him or her, and you never know what is going to happen. Doc Martin and Death in Paradise are both on on Saturday nights at 8:00 and 9:00. You might want to check them out.

I simply set my DVR for Masterpiece (for Downton Abbey and now for Mr. Selfridge.), and in addition I get all these other shows that just happen to fall on one of those channels, and they're usually pleasant surprises.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Re: Other British programming

Post by mrsl »

I just want to mention that I've finally got all of these different programs into some semblance of order. My Saturday evenings are spectacular starting at 7:00 on Chanel 11 with Dame Judie Dench (long before she became a Dame), as Jean in As Time Goes By. Judi is a lovely lady married for the second time to what I assume is a long time bachelor. I haven't been watching long enough to know the back story yet. It's a half hour delight with him trying to acclimate himself to living as a family man, although her daughters do not live with them. As with most half hour shows, there is no rhyme or reason to what each show is about, just different situations to be overcome. Next is Patricia Routledge as Hyacinth in Keeping Up appearances. In this, Hyacinth is always trying to impress someone or other, and dragging her poor hapless husband along. He could care less if he dines with a scullery maid or the Queen, but Hyacinth is always aiming for the Queen. I know I've seen Ms. Routledge elsewhere, but don't recall where. Can any of you, Stuart or Charlie, clue me in on her?

Following these are Doc Martin and Death in Paradise, which I've already talked about, but both programs have me hooked and I look forward to them every week, respectively at 8:00 and 9:00.

At the same time I'm watching Doc and Death, I'm DVR'ing Masterpiece on Channel 20 (WYCC). That channel is playing mysteries from 8:00 to 10:00, which I watch after Death in Paradise. Lately they've been playing Wallendar with Kenneth Brannaugh, who you may be familiar with from several movies he's made, usually things like Richard III, and Hamlet, as well as contemporary stories. And often, they throw another Agatha Christie, Miss Marple, in there for good measure, or a DCI Banks (my favorite).

It's all marvelous adult programming which uses acting and writing to entertain, rather than blowing up buildings. I urge everyone to check out some of the shows on Saturday night, for an excellent evening of mature entertainment. I can tell you, although I'm not that big on comedy, Keeping Up Appearances had me laughing so hard tonight, I almost had an accident on myself (if you know what I mean) :oops: :roll: :P
Anne

Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Glad you like KEEPING UP APPEARANCES. Patricia Routledge is a hoot. I love how her neighbour is always so nervous around her. And how her family are such a hilarious contrast to her ever aspiring attitude - it's Bouquet, not Bucket!
Patricia has been active on the stage and Tv for decades. She also sings and was in Oklahoma.
The very first season of AS TIME GOES BY is my favorite - this is when Lionel and Jean meet after 40 years apart.
My favorite comedy here in the UK just now is MIRANDA . Please give it a try if it comes your way.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne,
So glad you've found Dame Judi in As Time Goes By. Jean is a lovely character, and wait until you meet Lionel's father and step mother. They are wonderful. I hope you have started at the beginning, the story unfolds slowly and it just gets better and better. I have watched almost since the first time it was shown here on local PBS, about 15 years ago. We have talked about this show here, but not sure on which thread. Maybe if Moira checks in, she can find it. Chris is another huge fan, I'm sure some one will be able to guide you to the discussions.

enjoy!!!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Unfortunately I've only recently discovered night time PBS - since Downton Abbey actually, so I don't know any of the backstories, I can only assume from some of the dialog and the attitudes when speaking. I can't afford Netflix plus my T.V. system, nor can I find any back issues of any of the programs, but at least for now, I can just sit back and enjoy.

BTW, tonight, Sunday, I've just gotten into Call the Midwife, another top notch show from Britain.
Anne

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I had a rough time with the violence (and the suggestion of violence) at times in The Bletchley Circle, but found the storyline and period details fascinating with well drawn characters, Kingrat. Here is a youtube poster who has uploaded the three episodes in the program for those who missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/user/margarethalethornton/videos

The above person on youtube has also added the British series Call the Midwife to her collection as you can see in the above link. The series features the usual great ensemble performances from English actors including everyone from Jennie Agutter to Jessica Raine to Judy Parfitt (as a poetry-spouting, dotty older nun). The beautifully detailed slice of life focuses on midwives, nuns, the joys of The National Health, and the men and women they work with in London's bleak East End in the '50s. Warning! Call the Midwife, which is extremely addictive, gritty, funny, and tragic (sometimes all at once), and is currently running on PBS as well. The PBS run is halfway through the second season. At times this show is not for the faint of heart and, unless you would like to explain some of the very plain biological and psychological facts of life to a very young person, it might be adult fare only.

At first I thought that Call the Midwife was going to be a Brit take on Lifetime programming, where every man is a beast, but the portrait of the men was nuanced and empathetic instead, though there were certainly a few scumbags among the men and the women (gosh, just like life). The one thing about the men that seemed so heartless at times was their complete exclusion from the birth. It really seemed hard on them and their women, but I guess it preserved a sense of mystery at a time when women had to take what scraps of power and dignity they could find.

I was particularly interested in the references in the series to The Workhouse and the long shadow that institution cast on the lives of characters in the '50s. I always tend to think of it as belonging to Victorian England, but clearly it persisted until the '30s.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

moirafinnie wrote:I had a rough time with the violence (and the suggestion of violence) at times in The Bletchley Circle, but found the storyline and period details fascinating with well drawn characters, Kingrat. Here is a youtube poster who has uploaded the three episodes in the program for those who missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/user/margarethalethornton/videos

The above person on youtube has also added the British series Call the Midwife to her collection as you can see in the above link. The series features the usual great ensemble performances from English actors including everyone from Jennie Agutter to Jessica Raine to Judy Parfitt (as a poetry-spouting, dotty older nun). The beautifully detailed slice of life focuses on midwives, nuns, the joys of The National Health, and the men and women they work with in London's bleak East End in the '50s. Warning! Call the Midwife, which is extremely addictive, gritty, funny, and tragic (sometimes all at once), and is currently running on PBS as well. The PBS run is halfway through the second season. At times this show is not for the faint of heart and, unless you would like to explain some of the very plain biological and psychological facts of life to a very young person, it might be adult fare only.

At first I thought that Call the Midwife was going to be a Brit take on Lifetime programming, where every man is a beast, but the portrait of the men was nuanced and empathetic instead, though there were certainly a few scumbags among the men and the women (gosh, just like life). The one thing about the men that seemed so heartless at times was their complete exclusion from the birth. It really seemed hard on them and their women, but I guess it preserved a sense of mystery at a time when women had to take what scraps of power and dignity they could find.

I was particularly interested in the references in the series to The Workhouse and the long shadow that institution cast on the lives of characters in the '50s. I always tend to think of it as belonging to Victorian England, but clearly it persisted until the '30s.
Moira, I know a lovely Irish woman who for some reason, landed in the Great State of Kansas :shock:

She was a midwife in the same area of London and at the same time as this series is framed. Veronica says this series is almost stunning in its accuracy of detail. Talk about reality t.v.!
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

How interesting, Nan! How long was your friend a midwife? Did she go to women's homes to help them give birth as shown on the show? Did she think that they got anything wrong about the period or the attitudes? Have you watched the shows too?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Moira, I haven't seen the series, and Ms. V has moved again. Since I wasn't watching the show, I regrettably did not press her for details. I think it was not a good time for her, she really didn't talk about it much, it almost seemed like she wished she hadn't mentioned it at all. Sorry I can't be more informative. :?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I am totally heart broken. My terribly pleasant Saturday and Sunday nights are now over. All of the wonderful British comedies and dramas discussed herein are ended and now off the air. I'm so regretful that I was unaware of them until they were nearly over. I only hope they will all be repeated in the near future as much of the PBS programming is. If they should return, I will quickly alert you here so all of you can watch and thoroughly enjoy these amazingly entertaining shows. Believe me, it's equal to going back in time to when the movies we all love so much were new and fresh.

I have never seen Miranda, nor has it been on, hopefully it will possibly be a summer replacement.

The one program that is still on is Lark Rise to Candleford. This one has a main character of a young girl (Laura), who leaves her farming community of Lark Rise, and goes up the road to the more industrial town of Candleford to stay with her mothers' cousin at the local post office. The post office is the unofficial hub of the town and Dorcas, the Post Mistress is friend and confidant to all in town. The two communities often combine for fiestas, holidays, etc. so all inhabitants know each other well. Laura's father by the way is Brendan Coyle (Bates from Downton Abbey).

Lark Rise is on at 8:00 on Thursday night on PBS.
Anne

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, my local PBS station has tried to drop As Time Goes By several times, but the public always insists it be reinstated. It places as number one or number two on all the polls, and the station puts it back on. you might try calling your local station, I'll bet it will return soon. keeping fingers crossed.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

They're still going on in Baltimore but I don't watch them like I did. Of those I liked I've seen most of them several times. My loss on Saturday night is "Red Green." Not one of the sophisticated British shows but, for me, a very funny Canadian comedy about men and the things that make them men. We can fix anything no matter how hard it is and when just getting a new one is just a proof of failure.

The Man's Prayer - "I'm a man and I can change if I have to, I guess."

An example that fits our group.
[youtube][/youtube]
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:They're still going on in Baltimore but I don't watch them like I did. Of those I liked I've seen most of them several times. My loss on Saturday night is "Red Green." Not one of the sophisticated British shows but, for me, a very funny Canadian comedy about men and the things that make them men. We can fix anything no matter how hard it is and when just getting a new one is just a proof of failure.

The Man's Prayer - "I'm a man and I can change if I have to, I guess."
Chris--
Red Green is so popular up here near the Canadian border that he had a live show in Rochester! My main source of amusement in the program: the shared belief that duct tape (or is it duck tape???) can fix anything. Ain't it the beautiful truth?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

He did a show in Frederick, MD a year or two ago. That's about an hour plus from me but I didn't get to go. He is in the process of putting everything on Youtube so that will be an acceptable substitute.

Steve Smith is a very soft spoken guy to hear the introductions on the DVDs. I am the least capable person to fix anything so I find it all the more fun.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."