Me-TV

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Me-TV

Post by movieman1957 »

Timing is everything. I'll have to remember to catch it or record it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Is that the one where he's a blind lawyer? At the time, that reminded me of Daredevil!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Yes. That is it. Kind of a "remake" of "23 Paces to Baker Street."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for the heads up about Longstreet.

I wish that Me-TV would show Mr. Novak, which was an interesting early '60s show with James Franciscus as a high school teacher. While they look like artifacts from a lost civilization in some ways now, the program was pretty well written and decently acted. There are some episodes of this show on youtube. Here's one below. I think you'll be amused by some of the familiar people you see here (btw, I have no idea who Charles Briles is, but that actor seems to be what prompted the poster to place this online):
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, Moira! i haven't seen too many tv shows about teachers (that held my interest, anyway), so I will check this out. Never even heard of it.
While they look like artifacts from a lost civilization in some ways now

I'm laughing!!! That is great. That basically describes classic TV & movies.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I remembered Mr. Novak really well ... it's one of the better shows in the 60's ... :)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Rita Hayworth wrote:I remembered Mr. Novak really well ... it's one of the better shows in the 60's ... :)
good to know, Erik! i have added to my "watch" queue at YouTube. :D
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Surprisingly, I never watched MR. NOVAK. I like stories about school. But that one eluded my young eyes. There was probably a western on another channel!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:Thank you, Moira! i haven't seen too many tv shows about teachers (that held my interest, anyway), so I will check this out. Never even heard of it.
While they look like artifacts from a lost civilization in some ways now

I'm laughing!!! That is great. That basically describes classic TV & movies.

I think that Mr. Novak was scheduled opposite the very popular Jackie Gleason Show so it never really could compete at the time, though I had the impression that it was popular among some people (at least with my older teenage sister). I wasn't allowed to watch this one (too adult!) but it used to be in reruns occasionally and I was intrigued (and James Franciscus was not hard on the eyes, even to my youthful tomboy eyes). It wasn't exactly The Blackboard Jungle since it seemed to take place in a middle class California suburb, but it did address some eternal issues of the human experience and concerns of the day in a fairly intelligent way with some interesting stories.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

You are right Moira - it was scheduled opposite of the The Jackie Gleason Show and I remembered that quite well and I just wanted to point out that my family at that time - My Parents often go to a friend's house to watch the Jackie Gleason Show while me and my three older brothers watched Mr. Novak.

Sometimes, we even watched the Jackie Gleason Show and skip Mr. Novak instead. It's was painful to say that the Jackie Gleason Show literally killed Mr. Novak and I for one loved that show because it was an excellent cast and I wanted to see this show goes to a third season on NBC and my favorite characters on that show was Dean Jagger who played the Principal for most of the time that the show on the air and of course the star of the show James Francisus who charm and gentle voice made the show believable for us at the time the show was on the air.

Now, its has numerous episodes on You Tube and I will be venturing there for good ole time sake and told my older brothers about this and they were delighted to see that someone in You Tube Land took the time to post these wonderful shows. One thing that I liked about this show - is the different cast every time and that alone made this show unique and different back then.

That's why I loved Mr. Novak.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I thought that those of us who relish Alfred Hitchcock Presents would enjoy knowing about this story from today's LA Times. Norman Lloyd at almost 100, is being celebrated with a retrospective of his work at UCLA. Hope some members can attend. Please click on the image below to see the full story:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Every time I see The Statue of Liberty, I think of this man!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Norman Lloyd has been at the Film Forum here in NYC a couple of times and I have been unable to go. :( I am glad he is still able to get out and talk about his incredible career. A well deserved tribute.
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Norman Lloyd a true pioneer ... and had a very distinguished career as an actor, producer, and director and not that many individuals can say that. :)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Surprisingly, I first became aware of hm as the ailing Dr. Auschlander on ST. ELSEWHERE. When I later saw SABOTEUR, I recognized him halfway through the movie.