Claire Bloom back in Doc Martin

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Claire Bloom back in Doc Martin

Post by stuart.uk »

Spoiler

I'll try not to give to much away, but Claire Bloom is back in Doc Martin, reprising her role as the Doc's unpleasent mother, Margaret, 8 years after her last appearence. It seems she's trying to worm her way into her son's good books, since her husband has died, at a time when Martin is adjusting to married life with Louisa and son James. However, Auntie Ruth is suspicious of her motives. There has already been one great confrontation between Aunt and mother and as it's Eileen Atkins and Claire Bloom in the roles, it's a bit special.

Claire is still, at 82, incredibly young looking, but I wonder if the strand of grey hair at the top of her hair is to convince the audience she looks old enough to play Martin Clunes' mother, which in reality she is.

It's still hard to credit, she's Chaplin's only surviving leading lady
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Claire Bloom back in Doc Martin

Post by movieman1957 »

My viewing of Doc Martin has been sparse and, chronologically speaking, all over the place. Your mention of 8 years ago surprises me that it has been on that long. There is some catching up to be done.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm with movieman on this one. I was under the assumption that Doc Martin was a relatively new show, and to learn it is over 8 years old is surprising, to say the least. Here in the Chicago area, they are replaying the second season where baby hasn't even been born yet, in fact we just had Aunt Joan's funeral this past week, and Aunt Ruth just decided to stay in town at the farm. It's all very confusing because Martin and Louisa got married last season, and now apparently they are planning a wedding, so I'm not sure if the first two seasons have been cut up and shown haphazardly or what is going on.

Stuart:
Can you do a rundown of how the story has progressed as a sort of catch up for me? I love the show and all of the quirky characters and I'm really going to miss Pauline. I would really appreciate a recap.

Thanks a lot!!!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

Spoiler

Doc Martin has just finished its 6th season, in its 8-year run. Martin's marriage to Lousia is left up in the air. He upset his Headmistress wife on the school sports day where he was presenting the prizes, but he stormed off, saying he had to get back to his surgery to see his patients before he completed his task. Lousia stormed after him, but was run down by a car. She appeared to recover and left Martin, heading for the airport, but he discovers she has a life threatening brain operation, brings her back and saves her life on the operating table, but she feels it hasn't changed the difficulties between them.

Bert gets engaged and his son Al goes into business with Ruth, starting a fishing business on her land where she has a lake. Martin's mother Margaret (Bloom) was merely after his money and when he disocovers this, he throws her out of the house.

I was a bit confused when you said you were just into season 2 over in the U.S, as Joan did full 4 seasons and was killed off unseen during the opening show of season 5 when Ruth arrived on the scene.

One of my highlights was when Martin disapprovingly catches Joan making love to a much younger man on her kitchen table. Just days later actress Stephanie Cole did a Tenko reunion show (A show she did in the 80s) and host Paul O'Grady joked what were you up to the other day.....................