BATKID saves Gotham City!!!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

BATKID saves Gotham City!!!

Post by Lzcutter »

Just when you think the world has gone crazy or maybe just fallen into a large vat of self-absorption comes a story that helps remind that despite our worst fears or assumptions, we can be really cool, caring and most of all, helpful, when we want to be.

Miles, a five year old with leukemia in the Bay area, had a wish to be a superhero. The local Make-A-Wish foundation thought they could make that come true on a small scall.

The city of San Francisco decided it needed to help make this little guy's wish really come true.

For the day, SF has become Gotham City and Miles has become Batkid saving damsels in distress, keeping the Joker from robbing a bank and is getting hourly requests for his help from the Chief of Police who is the acting "Commissioner" for the day. The police, the SF Chronicle and the businesses and the residents of SF are all working together to make this little boy's day a dream come true:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio ... id=9315337
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Re: BATKID saves Gotham City!!!

Post by Rita Hayworth »

This is so cool that the City of San Francisco doing this and this alone make a "BATKID" dream comes true!

Thanks for sharing this Lzcutter!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw the story on tonight's news. I've heard charities do things like this but I think maybe the most amazing thing is how the people of SF turned out for this kid. I heard around 11,000 when they hoping for a few hundred. Good for SF.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I saw this on the morning news. What a wonderful thing to do for this little guy. I love the way that the fellows who played The Riddler and The Penguin really did it up brown for the boy, who was a charmer. I hope good health and sweet memories of this day are his all his long life.

I kept thinking that there was something so typically and endearingly San Francisco about thousands of adults giving up their time to join in the fun with Batkid.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks