2014 tv shows new and continuing

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
knitwit45

Re: 2014 tv shows new and continuing

Post by knitwit45 »

kingrat wrote:People used to joke that the reason for inventing VCRs was so that you could tape Lawrence Welk and watch Hee Haw at the same time.

Now, THAT'S funny!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I'm surprised to learn that THE MENTALIST next season will be it's FAREWELL SEASON and I was kind of surprised to read this from the previous posts here on this thread.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Erik,

It may be the final season of The Mentalist, there are conflicting reports on the interwebs about this and CBS is being tight-lipped about.

Executive Producer, creator and showrunner Bruno Heller has a new series debuting on Fox this fall, Gotham and if it successful may play into The Mentalist's future.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lzcutter,

I may have to wait until I hear from you. Thanks for the recap here regarding THE MENTALIST. :)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I can see The Mentalist facing its' final season because the writing has finally allowed Jane to admit to himself that he cares more for Lisbon than he has yet made obvious. I imagine they plan to have the two of them get together at, or near the last episode of the final season. This guy Lisbon is connecting with right now seems two faced to me, I can't explain it, I just have the feeling. I know nothing has been made concrete, but the looks and the mannerisms of Jane when Lisbons' guy is around, show that Jane is afraid he is losing something he doesn't want to lose. Most of the shows that have those little personal interests between the main characters can ride the story lines on that for several years before people start looking for some sort of resolution, like Castle and Bones. Unfortunately once they're married, it gets harder to keep the audience coming back. It would be nice if Gibbs (NCIS), would get a lady friend who would visit a few times in a season.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The whole first season, as I recall, anyway, there was a redhead in a corvette who picked him up after almost every murder was solved. When Kate asked Tony who she was, and if she should ask Gibbs, he told her most definitely it wasn't worth losing her job. :lol:

He was a real hard nose in the episode of JAG that introduced the new NCIS series. Seems like they softened him up, but only a fraction or so.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

In the early seasons, he could often be seen at the end of episodes getting into the car of striking red-head and driving away. The actress was then executive producer/creator Don Bellisaro's wife (and the mother of the actor Sean Murray who plays Tim).

A few seasons later, Gibbs and Army Lt. Col. Hollis Mann played by actress Susanna Thompson were a couple but she realized that she would always play second fiddle to a ghost and broke it off. By the time Gibbs was ready to give her more of a commitment it was too late.

He hasn't a steady lady friend that I can remember since then.

He has flirted with Diane Neal's recurring character, the Coast Guard investigator, and they have terrific chemistry together but so far the show has chosen not to explore that more.

But I agree, it would be nice to see him not so alone.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Jeez, and I'm still trying to cope without Psych.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm knee deep in MAD MEN. Watching videos of the early seasons. I didn't see them when they were aired. It's a pleasure watching good TV with no commercials. Given the nature of the show, advertisements fit in perfectly. But I can still live without them. Don't tell Don Draper that!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This is one of Dame Christie's better stories. Reading it was like having a delicious meal!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Watching the Three Act Tragedy was such a pleasure in this transition time of reruns and summer tryouts. Oddly, just last week I had a discussion about where Martin Shaw was, now that his George Gently series is over, and although several of his portrayals was listed, this was not one of them, so I was doubly happy to see him, although not necessarily in this type of role. I do admire him greatly and hope my PBS station shows more of his work. As for the show itself, I imagine if Ms Christie had met Mr. Suchet, she would have been pleased with him as Poirot considering how she hated Poirot. He comes across as just as picky, finicky, and self righteous as she wrote, which were her reasons for not liking her own character. I have never seen David Suchet in anything else, so I do not know what he actually looks like, but as Poirot, he reminds me of a cross between a peacock and a penguin. I will go out of my way to see a good ensemble production like this and can always count on Ms. Christie for a god mystery.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************