2014 tv shows new and continuing

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Re: 2014 tv shows new and continuing

Post by mrsl »

MURDER IN THE FIRST

I looked up Taye Diggs to see where it was I had seen him before and apparently this is a 10 week experience. I don't know if it will continue as a regular program or if it is just a summer replacement, but if the other 9 weeks are like this one, it looks like it would be a fine new show. Of course I failed to mention so far that the great minds behind it are Tommie Schlamme and the rest of his bunch, of whom I am a great fan. It will be following the same outline as 24 by continuing the story for the full season from committing the crime, to the detection, trial, and final verdict. I was happy to see it was not a sequel to the 1995 movie with the same name although Kevin Bacon deserved some kind of award for that role. If you missed it, it's on immediately following Major Crimes on TNT on Monday night. You can probably catch up with this second episode if you're interested.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Just a reminder that Finch, Mr. Reese and the gang, including Bear, returns to the airwaves on Tuesday night, Sept. 23rd, on CBS at 10:00!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

There are so many science-fiction type shows on this year that I get them confused now and then, but I am enjoying all of them with the help of my DVR . . .

* Under the Dome
* Resurrection
* The Left overs
* Haven (I'm so glad it's back)
* Outlander

. . . to name a few.

I also was able to watch Madam Secretary. I thoroughly enjoyed this new show, mainly because I've always been a fan of Tea Leoni and can't understand why she didn't get some of the big roles that went to people like Nicole Kidman and Cameron Diaz. She's a much better actress than either of them but I'm happy she will be on her own weekly program now. I just wish that dumb race thing would quit for pete's sake! I DVR Madam Secretary and The Good Wife and end up with those idiot people still crossing rivers and tramping through third world streets, or whatever other goofy stunts the producers can think up.
Anne

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I just watched NCIS NEW ORLEANS - Starring Scott Bakula and I find this show very good and quite entertaining and have a great cast of actors/actresses on board. Scott played Dwayne Pride.

I just wanted to share that with all of you here and I will be definitely watching it again next Tuesday Night.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I am looking forward to the the return of Once Upon a Time this weekend to ABC, and The Flash, on CW. As a comic fan, what I've seen of the latter so far pushes all the right buttons for me. Not dark and cynical like that Superman movie was. Just looks fun! (Warner Bros: Not every character is Batman and needs to be dark. Thanks.)

Also Constantine, Arrow, and a Supergirl show is rumored. Add in all the Marvel stuff coming to Netflix, Gotham and Agents of SHIELD on the broadcast networks, and it's a great time to be a comic lover.

Speaking of Netflix, besides the Marvel shows they have coming, I'm waiting patiently for the next seasons of House of Cards and Orange is the New Black. Unfortunately they aren't premiering in the fall, but rather in spring, so I have a long wait.

I haven't really been into TV for a few years, and have been catching up on all the great stuff I missed thanks to Netflix instant and Hulu. I found some great suggestions in this thread to add in there.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

So, NCIS New Orleans wasn't unbearably gruesome, Erik? I like Scott Bakula, but have to admit that the secondary characters in the pilot (the good ol' boy, the enigmatic career chick) and atmosphere seemed overly ripe and a tad too colorful to be credible, but I'll give it another try if you think it is worthwhile. Having been to New Orleans, it is always fun to spot where they are filming in that lovely old city--but I could live without the body parts and less elegant decay.

Lomm, a friend just MADE me start watching House of Cards and it looks good so far. It will take me some time to catch up, of course. Have you seen the Ian Richardson version of House of Cards from Britain in the '90s? It's delightful (and used to be on Hulu, though much of it now seems to be on youtube too).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

No, I keep meaning to look that up because of the opening credits of the show mentioning a miniseries. I have one episode to go, and then I have to wait until next year, so maybe I will give that a look. I usually get turned off of political dramas, but Kevin Spacey is just so delightfully nasty.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The Ian Richardson series also is streaming on Netflix. Having seen that one and no deep fondness for Spacey have kept me from the new one - so far.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'd love to watch THE FLASH! But I don't have recording capacity, and I simply don't keep up with TV schedules. I watch whatever's on when I feel like watching. Or what Sugar wants to watch!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

It is an amazing time in television right now. This wealth of interesting and good shows has been building for the last couple of years and the wave shows no signs of cresting any time soon.

I am so glad we opted for the bigger DVR earlier this summer (thanks, DirecTV!) because there aren't enough hours in the day to keep up with all the shows we like without it!

Sunday nights alone are an example of too much bounty with Ray Donovan, Masters of Sex, Boardwalk Empire and John Oliver and we end up watching two of those in real time and the other two during the week.

During the week, I am currently DVR'ing Gotham, The Blacklist (I love James Spader as Red Reddington), NCIS (Original Recipe), NCIS: New Orleans, Person of Interest and on Friday nights we have Real Time with Bill Maher and Clive Owen is terrific in The Knick..

We still have The Leftovers and Manhattan on our DVR to watch and one of these days I want to start watching House of Cards, Bosch, and Sons of Anarchy. Not to mention, being a season behind on The Good Wife, Elementary, Suits and White Collar.

Hoping to get caught up on some of that during the holidays when I can binge watch stuff!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

BOSCH? By any chance, is that derived from Michael Connelly's detective fiction?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Red,

It is indeed! It stars the very talented Titus Welliver as Harry!

It is available for streaming via Amazon.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Hieronymus "Harry" Bosch!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I had my own private little marathon yesterday watching Outlander from early morning to late night, with a break for my Saturday night PBS favorites. I realized the other day that I had way too many shows on DVR and knew I would not likely see them all so I did weed them out a bit with episodes of weekly shows that have no connection from one week to the next. In this weeding process, I found I had 3 episodes of Outlander on DVR which I have been avoiding for some reason because I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode, so I checked out On Demand and found that the entire first season was on it, with the exception of the last two, which were on late last night, so I quequed them to be DVR'd so I would not forget them and sat down to enjoy my day. With all of the detective, lawyer and medical shows that are on network T.V., I'm not all that interested in getting hooked on new shows like Black List, The Knick
, and older ones like Sons of Anarchy, Bosch, and House of Cards since my DVR is over flowing now as it is.

However, I agree with Lz Cutter about the abundance of fine television fare and the writing offered.

I still get angry over the ridiculous reason for the cancellation of Longmire and will probably never watch that channel again since the other fare offered on A&E, which at one time was known for its' classic programming, now offers some of the trashiest fare possible.
Anne