The Oscars 2015

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

The Oscars 2015

Post by Lzcutter »

So what did everyone think?

I enjoyed much of the show, especially the opening musical number (for the first time since Hugh Jackman hosted) and thought Neil Patrick Harris did a good job of hosting.

Of course, there were bits that went on too long and some that could have been cut. While I enjoy Jennifer Hudson, I didn't think we needed a song after the "In Memoriam" tribute (and Meryl's very eloquent intro) to tell us how we were supposed to feel. I thought for the first time in many ages, the "In Memoriam" sequence was quite strong in its presentation even though they left out a few names that should have been there.

And though I wasn't sure if Lady Gaga would work, her "Sound of Music" tribute and the appearance of Julie Andrews was a sublime moment

How about you?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

RedRiver

Re: The Oscars 2015

Post by RedRiver »

I liked it! OK, so I only watched the last hour. But for me, that's pretty good! It was tight and well executed. (I never thought I'd say that.) Well hosted by Barney. Many of the movies being about social issues, winners spoke with passion and eloquence. Young Graham Moore, the screenwriter for THE IMITATION GAME? Best acceptance speech I've ever heard! It was a good show!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I, too, liked Neil Patrick Harris for the second time hosting, including the opening number. I have to admit that part of the fun of watching all of these award shows for me, is looking for faces that I recognize. So few are left from even the 70's it gets trickier each year. I recognize some of the younger ones, like Channing Tatum, and several of the ladies, but the ones I do know are already nearing the 35 to 40 age group. I feel that many of the people who appeared onstage to introduce awards are not really movie stars per se, but more of the celebrity status. They haven't worked through their hard knocks yet. If you think back, you might recall that only headliners (starring so and so), were the ones who passed out the awards, such as Jimmie Stewart to William Holden, or Elizabeth Taylor to Susan Hayward.

I'm sorry Lynn but if Jennifer Hudson would just sing, she might be okay, but as usual, she thinks she has to do that stretching for higher notes very loudly and that ruins the moment for me. To me Lady Gaga has always been a joke, and although she cleaned up last night, she definitely is no Julie Andrews. Gaga has no breath control, e.g. she can't hold the last key for very long, in fact sometimes, she ended before the orchestra did, but I will give her the credit that she didn't do what I dislike most about Jennifer Hudson with the yelling. Jennifer does a fine job before she starts that yelling.

I don't recall when Joan Rivers passed away. If it was before a certain date, I can see why they didn't include her in the photo section, as we learned with Sandra Dee. I just looked up (DUH) Joan Rivers, and she died on Sept. 4, 2014, so somebody made a boo-boo.

So Many gowns were reminiscent of the ones of the 50's and 60's, only these were floor length whereas those were cocktail length. I wonder if the designers just pulled out their archives? It certainly would be possible.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I know this is a premier show to watch for best picture, actor, screenplay, and so forth. I just can't stomach myself watching it at all and sorry to say that. I missed the shows from the 60's to the early 80's of which it was relevant back then. I sometimes not always look in the internet and get the complete list of all the winners and proceed from there.

I find this show not my cup of tea.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I never watch the whole thing. Usually the last half a dozen awards or so.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Here's a question I've been thinking about. Since movies no longer have actual supporting actors, don't you think the award could be discarded, or more likely split? Nowadays movies have two lead actors (I mean both male and female), as in the case of August: Osage County, Julia Roberts and Merle Streep had equal parts in dialog, screen time, and emotional exercise. Do you see any obvious separation of lead and support? Lately nobody is supporting unless it is a movie strictly about several friends where one is the obvious lead, and the others are simply hangers on. We no longer seem to have maids such as Thelma Ritter and Hattie McDaniel who were so adept at running the family. If we have a best friend who at one time just lurked in the background until the star needed some advice or a shoulder to cry on, now is listed as the top three or four stars, as in Holiday. In Holiday the stars were Cameron Diaz, Jack Black, Kate Winslet and Jude Law, the only supporting person was Eli Wallach who taught Kate about classic movies and the difference in them and the ones of today.

This all came about because I was trying to think of ways the Oscar show could be shortened, but when I really started to dig, I found so few movies that had actual supporting roles, I thought I would ask your opinions. I hope I've explained myself correctly. I probably have not, as usual, but hopefully you can see through my failures.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************