Sherlock on PBS

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Masha

Sherlock on PBS

Post by Masha »

Our local PBS stations have begun airing new Sherlock season as part of: Masterpiece Theater. The first episode has them in 1890s. It is very wonderful twist and I will not spoil it for others by telling of how/why. Please check your local listings to see if it is airing in your area.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Lomm
Administrator

Re: Sherlock on PBS

Post by Lomm »

I have not watched it yet but I'm very much looking forward to it! I love Sherlock Holmes, and I love the updated modern take the Cumberbatch series has taken...but I most love the Victorian tropes of the classic original, so this should be the best of both worlds.
Masha

Post by Masha »

It is sad to say that it seems that I was mistaken. It appears that it is not start of new season. It may be one of: BBC's Christmas shows wherein they have special episode of popular program airing during Christmas season. There is mention of Christmas in this episode but no other connection.

I believe that it will delight those who like both the series' updating of: Sherlock Holmes character and Victorian settings and aspects. I do not wish to say a great deal because of spoilers.

I have seen several places that: January 10 is to be: PBS Premiere of this episode but our local PBS station aired it early.

I urge all to watch it because it is quite wonderful.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

They did only one episode because Cumberbatch and Freeman are so busy that they could only find time in their schedules to do one. And since it was just one, the writers/producers decided to do something different and set it in the 1890s to satisfy the curiosity of fans who wondered what those two actors would have been like as a traditional Holmes and Watson.

The DVD and Blu-ray will be released on January 12.

They are planning to film a usual three-episode series sometime in 2016.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Have you watched it?

I found it quite wonderful. Beautifully presented and so twisty as to satisfy the most demanding mystery fan.
Masha

Post by Masha »

So... Did any other person watch it?
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I still haven't but I definitely will soon!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I haven't seen this new one but we have started watching the first three on Netflix. We have really enjoyed them. We have never been huge Holmes fans so there isn't much history to compare but we plan on seeing more of them.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Masha

Post by Masha »

movieman1957 wrote:I haven't seen this new one but we have started watching the first three on Netflix. We have really enjoyed them. We have never been huge Holmes fans so there isn't much history to compare but we plan on seeing more of them.
I find the entire series quite wonderful. It is quite refreshing take on the characters. I find excellent the balance of conundrum and humour.
Masha

Post by Masha »

I should perhaps give warning that the new episode of: Sherlock should not be watched if you have not watched most of the previous season. I believe it would lead only to confusion and disappointment because you do not know basis of problem he is solving.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Just finished watching. It was brilliant! Can't wait for the new series (although I sadly will have to, and for some time apparently).
Masha

Post by Masha »

Lomm wrote:Just finished watching. It was brilliant! Can't wait for the new series (although I sadly will have to, and for some time apparently).
I find it quite infuriating that it is impossible to talk of it greatly and not give spoilers! It is brilliantly of a whole which can not be dissected in such a way as to not give clues to plot elements which must be surprises to new viewer.

I believe that I am safe in saying that I love revelation of identity of client they find in their room and the surprise at what is causing room to rumble during important confrontation and that the penguin in the tutu is perfectly precious!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Cumberbach is superb because he radiates all of the weird idiosyncrasies that Sherlock was supposed to have exhibited. Sometimes he is even frightening to watch, and I often catch my breath at close-ups. This is definitely a keeper and hope more and more folks can join in to watch.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Masha

Post by Masha »

mrsl wrote:Cumberbach is superb because he radiates all of the weird idiosyncrasies that Sherlock was supposed to have exhibited. Sometimes he is even frightening to watch, and I often catch my breath at close-ups. This is definitely a keeper and hope more and more folks can join in to watch.
I find it odd to say that a person truly looks as if they are a highly-functioning sociopath and mean it as a compliment! :)
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Have it on my DVR and hope to be able to enjoy it in the days ahead!!!

Can't wait!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese