The Vast Wasteland

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: The Vast Wasteland

Post by movieman1957 »

Figuring this could be a catch all thread for anything TV related I came across an article in the Wall Street Journal that a fan of "The Wizard of Oz" noticed on a TBS broadcast that something wasn't right. Indeed not. It turns out TBS was speeding up the "film" so they can get more commercial time in the broadcast.

It appears networks do this in order to get the right amount of people to see the ads so that they meet requirements. TBS, TNT and TV Land are all using this approach. The article even sights that the original "Law and Order" opening which clocked in at 1:45 has been whittled down to 24 seconds. (Why bother showing it at all?)

The other side of this is that marketers feel that an "oversaturation of commercials will reduce the effectiveness of their spots and drive more viewers away .... to commercial free streaming services."

Commercial time in an hour is up even from 2013. Some range from 18:30 to over 20 minutes per hour.

Later in the article "Friends" co-creator Marta Kauffman dislikes the "squashed" credits and tinkering with the running times. She compares it with colorization of black and white movies.

My question is why was the guy watching "The Wizard of Oz" on TBS anyway?

I think the marketers are right. I know we here have been spoiled some by our commercial free TCM but it seems like any show gets back from a commercial break and before you know it we're headed back into one. It makes watching live TV more difficult and why I have gone to recording things so, when I can, I can fast forward through the spots and be done in 40 minutes rather than the hour.

TV networks are not going to win more viewers by giving us more commercials.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Regarding the Vast Wasteland, I have recently been recording episodes of Magnum, PI, and find the program lasts almost to the hour with no commercials since it is on an Encore channel. Also, the programs playing on the Western Channel of Encore also run very close to the original time. INSP shows episodes of The Virginian and I find instead of the 1:45 as they were originally, now they are often 1:30. Isn't it funny that the commercial people are realizing that bombarding with commercials does not necessarily sell products, because nobody sits there to see them.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I am watching a few new shows on Netflix and such sites. I can't bear watching on broadcast anymore with all the commercials. Agent Carter, a new show on ABC is clocking in at 39 minutes! 39 minutes for an "hour" drama! That's madness. I read the other day that TBS actually speeds up a lot of their syndicated programs to allow for more commercials, and cuts out bits of older programming that won't fit in the slot and allow the insane amount of ads they want to show.

This is why I only watch TV on Netflix or Amazon these days. Even Hulu has increased the amount of ads to the point of being ridiculous. The only real time TV I watch anymore is sports.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I have to add two more cents to this subject. If the suits would only realize that after this terribly long draught of lousy 'so-called' reality programming, some of the writers are actually coming up with some fine new programs and stories. Commercials are so rampant, and some of the lesser cable channels are offering some great viewing, so people are turning away from network TV. Soon there will be very little to be offered on networks. They have already endangered themselves with the reality garbage, they have to hurry and correct the problems they have bestowed on themselves and let the reality slide over to these new cable channels that are cropping up lately. I love my Rizzoli and Isles and Major Crimes, and I'm still smarting over the cancellation of Longmire (we'll never find out who got shot now), and still miss In Plain Sight. I love the fact that Encore channels are showing older shows like Magnum PI, and Rockford and that pleasure is doubled when there are no commercial breaks. The time between programs may be a little longer, but so what(?), it gives us time to wash dishes, dust, make a bowl of popcorn, etc. and then settle down for a nice hour of good television fare.

So, if the suits use their brains and realize we oldsters are the ones who pay the bills, and buy the TV's, perhaps they will stop their stupid and ignorant striving for the 15 to 35 yr, old audiences. That bunch is still living under Daddy's roof, or have gone to college and returned home because they degreed themselves out of good labor jobs because they don't want to get their dainty little hands dirty, yet labor is begging for help.
Anne

Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

The other point about 15-25 (I assume you meant 25, not 35, since most 35 year olds aren't living with their parents? :))...that age bracket is just NOT watching broadcast TV. They are watching on demand, whether legally or through illegal downloading. The current young generation lives completely in the "I want it now" mindset. They're not sitting around Thursday nights to watch the Blacklist on NBC (or whatever it is). They're out doing their thing and binge watching all their shows, commercial free, in the time and place of their choosing. Including watching on their phones while out and about. Heck, I'm 45, and that's how I watch, for that matter (not so much the illegal downloading, I mean Netflix,etc). But it's much, much more pervasive in the "kids today" than in my age bracket. Networks and cable providers need to get with the program. A few are, but many lag behind and actively work against their own best interests long term.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

The problem for you is that while "Longmire" has been picked up it is only going to be on Netflix. (That is, I assume you don't subscribe.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

movieman:

Because of my age, and my incessant calling and complaining about my bill, I now pay a very reasonable amount for my bundle of U-Verse TV, telephone, and internet, so I've never explored Netflix but something tells me that maybe I had better check it out now. Thanks for the clue..
Anne