A pleasant Saturday afternoon

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

A pleasant Saturday afternoon

Post by mrsl »

With TCM and the Western Channel both being repeat days for me, I happened upon CMT's 100 best Duets in Country Music. I was floored by the popularity of Willie Nelson. Where else can you see and hear:

Willie Nelson and Ray Charles singing together about Seven Spanish Angles?
Willie Nelson and Julio Iglesias singing about To All the Girls I've loved before, especially with Julio in his tux and black tie, and Willie looking like he hadn't bathed in three weeks?
Willie Nelson and Toby Keith singing about Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.
Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings - Good Hearted Woman - Waylon had to have one of the best singing voices of any genre of singing (BTW Waylon is my Robert Mitchum in the music world).

Another great listen was k.d. Lang doing a posthumous duet with Roy Orbison on Crying, normally I don't like those but this one (I never heard before) was phenomenal. She matched him note for note - what a blend of voices!!!! Really top shelf.

The final two hours were hosted by Trace Atkins whose speaking voice alone makes for a wonderful Saturday afternoon. Also, for the first time in 15 years they had Dolly and Kenny Rogers doing Islands in the Stream which turned out to be the No. 1 duet.

One thing I have to say about country artists is they are having FUN. Even when they do a sad song, or love ballad, they end with a smile at each other, and a wave and a smile at the audience, and the women usually throw kisses. That may sound juvenile, but it's certainly nicer than having your hearing impaired by loud speakers, and it's also nice to see and hear people singing the songs In Person that they won awards for, instead of piped in from some CD player out behind the band.

I know I'm one of a very small number of C&W fans here, but I wanted to say something about a show that really impressed me. It was well made, had lots of different artists giving their evaluations of both the artists and the songs, and the show never lagged as so may do. They interspersed with trivia questions, and revues, as well as biographical comments, so as to never get boring. I know it will be on again, but I was glad to be able to watch all afternoon, actually from 2:00 to 8:00 CST.

Anne

P.S. I have a friend who would have been begging to be shot in the head by 4:30, so I'm sure some of you are saying 6 HOURSS!!!??? You gotta love it!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I hear you johnm, but I suppose that has a lot to do with Kenny Rogers keeping in touch with his old R&R cronies, not to mention that Dolly and Barry have done a couple of duets over the years. What I laugh at is when a song is a hit on the country stations, and about a year later some R&R artist comes out with it and never gives credit to the country writers. But then we're all hicks anyway, or so the entertainment world thinks.

Anne
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

Are you a long time country music fan? I wondered because while radio playlists have changed and become more narrow over the years country music seldom crosses over as it did. (Or is it just me?)

I've never really liked it but back in the 70's there were all kinds of cross over hits. Charley Rich, Donna Fargo, Freddy Fender, Charlie Pride as well as the mainstays all had hits on the Top 40. Then they had a decidedly country sound. Now what I hear from country seems to be modified pop music. The first one I remember being like that was Ronnie Milsap's (?) "Stranger In This House" which was pure rock but because he did it was all over the country charts. You could almost say the same thing about "Island In The Streams" is pure pop but because Rogers & Parton did it country claimed it. (Not suggesting there's anything wrong.)

One thing is the Gibb brothers were masters at keeping busy when the public was having nothing to do with their recordings.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Movieman:

When I was a teen ager, I swooned with my friends to Elvis, Frankie Avalon, Bobby Rydell, Fabian, Dion and all the rest but . . . In Private . . . Merle Haggard, Don Williams, Jim Reeves, Conway & Loretta, Tammy, and of course George Jones were who I secretly listened to. In my 20's Barbara Mandrells' I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool was my mantra. While my contemporaries and I were changing diapers, doing laundry, and preparing dinner, instead of watching soap operas, I had my stereo screaming out about the Okie from Muskogee and Whatever Happened to Randolph Scott. I had two Statler Brother albums (vinyl discs that played on a turntable at 33-1/3 rpm) that I almost wore out, but was able to transfer to audio cassettes before that happened. Some day, I'll get CDs of them.

As for crossovers, nobody is more country than Dolly, but I've seen her adapt her style to several R&R artists like Streisand and Julie Andrews, Dolly is just simply amazing in my book. Think about her I Will Always Love You: that song was a million dollar seller in the 70's, 80's, 90's and again as a duet in 2001. Can you imagine the versatility of a person like that?

I don't know if you saw the list of duets I posted the other day, but where else can you find duets between people like Willie Nelson, with Julio Iglesias and Ray Charles? Reba McIntyre brought up her back-up singer and made a recording with her that not only crossed over, but was a million seller in both Country and R&R. Other country artists have done that and that's one reason I like it so much. Country people are real, if it sounds good - Get 'er done! That's their attitude.

One last thought, then I'll shut up. When I was in Las Vegas, I was at an Outlaws show at the Golden Nugget (Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Kris Kristofferson), they were doing their thing when on stage walks Dolly, who was appearing on the Strip, then later, they noticed George Jones in the audience and he came up and joined in. The audience got one heck of a show that night! I was so glad I had my two daughters with me. That is not unusual in a country concert, or show. They care about and for each other and any time they can give someone a boost, they do - it's not all me, me, me.

Anne
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

Thanks for your comment.

You hit on the one thing I've admired about them as people. They appear to be genuinely nice people. Even if I didn't always care for the music they were fun interviews. They had good things to say about each other.

(BTW I have a whole closet full of albums that I also had the good fortune to get on tape before my turntable gave up after a 20 year run.)

John:

Like you I was a great admirer of Karen Carpenter's talent. She was pure. She didn't always have the greatest songs to sing but man when she got the right one she was divine. Streisand I can take or leave as a singer. The loveliest voice I have found in pop music is a singer named Jane Olivor. She too is pure of voice and heart when she sings. She can break your heart and give you chills at the same time.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

johnm:

Once again I am almost convinced you are a 62 year old white widow living in the suburbs of Chicago, instead of some guy from Virginia. You parroted my estimation of Streisand perfectly. Since I am in such a minority about her though, I often use her as an example of 'better' work. As with Brando, I am usually shouted down when I comment about her, so I generally keep my mouth shut.

I never heard of Ms. Olivor, but Karen Carpenter was lovely and such a wasted shame.

Anne
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

John:

I'm stunned you've heard of Jane. Not surprised you wouldn't remember her. She took about 18 years off between albums.

Most here might know her from the duet she does with Johnny Mathis for "Same Time Next Year."
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

This kind of ties in with the discussions we've had this past week about sex and horror in movies, as well as in music that is popular. I mentioned this song a while ago and someone said they would like to hear the lyrics to it. Since I don't know how to play a song on Dewey's Disco party, all I can do is print out the lyrics. I think you may get a kick out of them. Remember however, this was recorded sometime in the 70's.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO RANDOLPH SCOTT?

Recorded by The Statler Brothers
Written by Don Reid and Harold Reid

Everbody knows when you go to the show
You can't take the kids a long
You've gotta read the paper and know the code
of G, PG and R and X
You gotta know what the movie's about before you even go
Tex Ritter's gone and Disney's dead and the screen is filled with sex.

CHORUS

Whatever happened to Randolph Scott ridin' the range alone
Whatever happened to Gene and Tex, And Roy and Rex,
the Durango Kid
Whatever happened to Randolph Scott His horse, plain as can be
Whatever happened to Randolph Scott, Has happened to the best of me.

Everbody's tryin' to make a comment about our doubts and fears
True Grit's the only movie I've really understood in years
You gotta take your analyst along, To see if it's fit to see
Whatever happened to Randolph Scott
Has happened to the best of me.

CHORUS

Whatever happened to Johnny Mack Brown And Alan "Rocky" Lane
Whatever happened to Lash LaRue I'd love to see them again
Whatever happened to Smiley Burnett, Tim Holt and Gene Autry
Whatever happened to all of these, Has happened to the best of me.

Anne
Anne

traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Patsy Cline is one of my "guilty pleasures." I love to slap a cassette or cd in, crank it up and sing!
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde