BBC Suggestions

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
movieman1957
Administrator

BBC Suggestions

Post by movieman1957 »

On the heels of the "Miss Marple" thread I wanted to ask for suggestions on some of your favorite BBC productions to take up.

Among those I watched and enjoyed (in a series as compared to a movie) are Cracker, Prime Suspect, Inspector Morse, The Jewel In The Crown, Danger UXB in the drama set.

Apart from the usual comedy series I'm having a grand time watching Jeeves and Wooster.

What should I check out?

Thanks
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

an oldie, but the absolute best of the the BritComs is "As Time Goes By" Dame Judi Dench is simply superb, and the storyline is very close to my heart.

If you haven't seen it, try it out
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Actually I have. I had that fall in the "usual comedy series." I agree it is a great show and one of my favorites.

Dench and Palmer work so well together. It's a great history in the story of their relationship of the characters. There's a gentleness about them and the show that while you may not always laugh out loud it sure makes you feel good.

I did see a poll once about the favorite comedy shows in British TV history and this one only came in about 25th.

Locally we've had Phillip (Alistair) and Moira Booker show up for pledge breaks on PBS. Lovely people.

I also get a kick out of Keeping Up Appearances.

I'd love to to hear your story if you wouldn't mind sharing it.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

As Time Goes By and Inspector Morse are my favorites. Knitwit, I'd love to know your story, too.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

One of my all-time favorites is also an oldie. I, Claudius is spectacular television. It has thirteen episodes and is available on DVD through Image Entertainment. It is a wonderfully fun history lesson wrapped up in a soap opera of deadly proportions. It's a really fun watch!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

[quote="knitwit45"]an oldie, but the absolute best of the the BritComs is "As Time Goes By"

Nancy:

I found this interview with Jenny Funnell and though you might like it. Click here.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

What a great time the audience and she must have had. Thanks, Chris!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I like "Inspector Morse" a lot. "Rumpole of the Bailey" was also a lot of fun.

Shifting to Masterpiece Theater, I was very impressed with the recent "Bleak House." That was terrific. I also liked "Island at War" from a year or two before that. (It dealt with the German occupation of the Channel islands during WWII.)

Going back, "I, Claudius" was simply magnificent. There are scenes from that that have lived in my memory ever since. I was also happy that the "Last of the Mohicans" from the early 70s finally came out on DVD. I liked that far more than the 1992 Michael Mann film.

Also, I am interested in "The Secret Army" which I've seen bits and pieces of here and there. It was about Belgians smuggling shot down RAF pilots back to Britain during WWII.

"Tenko" was another series about WWII, British women interned by the Japanese after the fall of Singapore. I saw most of those. Very well done.
Rusty

Rent/buy, sit, watch.

Post by Rusty »

One Masterpiece Theater (even includes episode introduction by replacement orotund guy) item...The Woman In White. Oh boy, this is a great couple of hours watching the television.

One series I watched two episodes while visiting my mom and placed the rest of the series in my Netflix queue...Hamish Macbeth.

Hamish Macbeth is BBC Scotland and is low-key humor and everybody on screen is eccentric and the episodes are extremely watchable.

Rusty
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

My favorite BBC program has always been Blackadder. I'm going to have to check out what air times they have now, I can't seem to catch it when it is on!

I have never seen Jeeves and Wooster, I really want to!
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Re: Blackadder

Probably because it is usually the middle of the night. The last times I've seen it programmed on BBCAmerica it has been very late.

I also found a series with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry that was a variety show. It's sitting comfortably in my Netflix queue now.
Chris

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

for sitcoms I like:

Black Adder
The Young Ones
Faulty Towers
Are You Being Served?
Father Ted
The Thin Blue Line
Red Dwarf
Coupling
The Office

and many more!

Masterpiece theaterwise, I thought they did an amazing job with Dickens Hard Times. Very close to the book. I also love the 83 performance of Jane Eyre with Timothy Dalton playing the lead.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Well, Chris you mentioned that you are currently enjoying my absolute FAVORITE--Jeeves and Wooster!!! Hubby bought me the dvd box set for my birthday and I have been enjoying those all over again.

Second fave would definitely be Black Adder with the poisonous Rowan Atkinson and Hugh Laurie! I am not a fan of Atkinson's Mr. Bean, because I prefer him in more cynical roles, like Black Adder. The Mr. Bean tv series has some funny bits, though. Avoid the feature film Bean at all costs.

My husband loves Red Dwarf beyond all reason---but then he is into sci-fi. I am not a sci-fi fan, but I do find Red Dwarf to be quite funny.

Sandy K
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Sandy:

Have you come to the NY episodes? Take a look at the establishing shots in NY. I was surprised at how careless they were in those. For a show that went to such great detail to make the time frame right in England, they weren't so careful in NY. Let me know what you see and we'll compare notes. (I'm really enjoying it. How can you not love a show that has a character named Gussy Fink-Nottle?)

Did you know Fry and Laurie did a series of a variety show? I haven't seen it but it's in my Netflix queue.
Chris