The Fallen Sparrow (1942)

moira finnie
Administrator

The Fallen Sparrow (1942)

Post by moira finnie »

The subject of The Fallen Sparrow (1942), which is one of my favorite movies, recently came up and I was wondering if others are as fond of this film as I am.

I'm a John Garfield fan, and have wondered why this one is still only available on vhs and is shown only occasionally on tv. Among noir aficionados it might not be top drawer, but it has some appeal for me, & perhaps, for others. I hope that you'll post here if this film interests you as well, (hey, Mr. Arkadin! and anyone else! :wink: ).

Garfield enjoying the view (Maureen O'Hara) in the bright, guilty world they inhabit in "The Fallen Sparrow"

One of the first things that strikes me is that a person should forget about trying to follow the plot of this movie, set mostly among high society in NYC, though previous violent events determine much of the behavior of the characters . As with many noirs and proto-noirs, looking for logical progression in the plot will just confuse things. It's atmosphere and elusive character that make this movie, (based on a novel by Dorothy Hughes), which is photographed moodily & beautifully by Nicholas Musuraca. Of course, cursory knowledge of the role of the Spanish Civil War, the Abraham Lincoln Brigade, the activity of the fascist powers in that conflict, and the fifth columnists in the New and Old World might help, but isn't a prerogative for savoring this little gem of a movie.

What counts here is that we get to see John Garfield creating a psychological portrait of a man who could easily unravel before our eyes. As usual, given the actor's raffish appeal, we can identify with him, and yet, still mistrust him a bit while feeling empathy for him. As is often the case during his contract at Warners, a film made on loan-out (to RKO here), gave the actor more of a challenge than many at his home studio. As with much of John Garfield's best work, it deals with struggles of an ordinary guy to live something like an ethical life in this sorry world.

He is exceptional as the Spanish Civil War vet who is haunted by his experiences during and after the war, especially during his time as a prisoner being interrogated by experts. Garfield's fragile edginess anchors the movie, as does his patented insolence toward conventional society. We see through his defensive, streetwise bluster but—watch for the scenes when he's alone and hears that…ominous sound in the hallway. Is it real or imagined?

Walter Slezak, an actor who seems to be quite unjustly forgotten, sketches one of his more detailed portraits of a sophisticated, smoothly sinister sort. Here he's an excellent, self-assured counterpoint to Garfield's shattered veteran.

Then there's also Maureen O'Hara, (who ken123 tells me has appeared in a few other films as well). She has one of her most interesting parts and besides, she's probably at one of her jaw-droppingly lovely peaks here in black & white, (thankfully without that candy-box technicolor that she's sometimes tied to during this era).

Additionally, there is the beautiful, somewhat brittle character played by Patricia Morison. This actress never seems to have caught a break during her time in Hollywood. When she decamped for the Broadway musical stage, of course, she did a heckuvalot better, notably in Cole Porter's Kiss Me Kate. Guess they didn't know what to do with one more beautiful babe who could sing and project intelligence when she appeared. Those pesky triple threats like Morison must've been a drug on the market in the halcyon days of the studio system.
Patricia Morison in the forties.

A funny remark made by Patricia Morison when reflecting on her studio days was that "I was fitted for costumes in The Glass Key with Alan Ladd when I was told by the studio boss, Buddy De Sylva, that Veronica Lake would do the part. He said I could stick around and play heavies. I said no! I over-ate my way out of the Paramount contract." Maybe she was too tall to play opposite the very good, but vertically challenged Mr. Ladd as well. The actress appeared in numerous plebian programmers of the war period, sort of like a dark counterpart to Hillary Brooke's blonde baddie in the B's. Many of these movies are still rather enjoyable, including appearances opposite Basil Rathbone as Holmes in Dressed To Kill (1946) & Tarzan and the Huntress (1947). I'm not sure if someone in her nineties might not have better things to do, but wouldn't it be lovely if TCM could interview the lady while she's still among us?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Moira,
I would to see " The Fallen Sparrow "on DVD, and thank you for the wonderful information on Pat Morison , her time spent in Hollywood showed that the moguls often didn.t know when they had something. Pat Morison Irish

[/b]Maureen who ?

I started a thread on
The Fallen Sparrow months ago, not much of a response.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm sorry that I didn't spot your Fallen Sparrow thread earlier, Ken. Now that our eye is on the Sparrow, perhaps others will share their critiques or comments with us.

Hey, Ken, Maureen O'Hara called.
She wanted to know what we've done with Ken123 and wondered who the blue blazes this doppelgänger* pretending to be Ken thinks he is? As she said, and I quote, "Maureen who, indeed!! And what's all this malarkey about someone named Morison?" Um, just a word to the wise, Ken, I really wouldn't tick off a redhead. She sounded as though she had blood in her eye, pal.

A shaken and possibly stirred Ms. O'Hara, looking for her erstwhile pal where the green grass grows.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*SSO word of the week!!Thanks to Sue Sue Applegate (Christy) & Hollis!!
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Irish women are tough but sweet just like Moira 8)
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Big Garfield fan as well. I cannot believe he does not have a set out. There are so many of his films that are not availible it makes me mad just to think about it. The Fallen Sparrow (1943) is a decent film. Others I would like to see released:

Four Daughters (1938)
Daughters Courageous (1939)
Blackwells Island (1939)
Dust be My Destiny (1939)
Castle on the Hudson (1940)
Saturday's Children (1940)
East of the River (1940)
The Sea Wolf (1940)
Out of the Fog (1941)
Dangerously They Live (1942)
Pride of the Marines (1945)--parts of this film are really hokey, but Garfield is great.
The Breaking Point (1950)
He Ran all the Way (1951)

I'd also like a better version of Body and Soul (1947). The picture on the current DVD could be cleaned up a bit better and the sound is very uneven. You practically have to keep your hand on the volume or just crank it.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Ms Moira - Cardinal Spellman ( NYC ) had Pat Morison's role eliminated as Victor Mature's suicidal wife in Kiss of Death :cry:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Ms Moira - Cardinal Spellman ( NYC ) had Pat Morison's role eliminated as Victor Mature's suicidal wife in Kiss of Death
Too graphic, from what I understand.
Due to the Widmark character, and the wheelchair down the stairs scene, that film stretched the production code and the Legion of Decency's sensibilities about as far as theyit could probably go for its time, don't you think?

I still find it tough to watch. Widmark was completely convincing. Beautiful performance by Victor Mature, though.
grobanite19

Post by grobanite19 »

I LOVe john garfield! I too wish that more of his movies would come out to dvd, or some even just to vhs, like daughters courageous, 4 wives, 4 mothers, and some others that still haven't come out on vhs!! UGH! LOL!!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I know what you mean. I've been trying to get a print of The Breaking Point (1950) for years.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hey Garfield fans,
The Fallen Sparrow and The Breaking Point may have to wait for rebroadcast, but there are a wealth of John Garfield movies coming up on TCM, some more than once and a whole day on March 4th, which would've been his 95th birthday! All times listed are Eastern Standard Time:

Body And Soul
Feb 05, 05:00AM
Mar 04, 03:00PM
Apr 19, 08:00AM

Tortilla Flat
Feb 26, 10:00AM
Mar 04, 06:00AM
Apr 17, 08:00PM

Pride Of The Marines:
If you've never seen it, you owe it to yourself to check this one out. Garfield & Eleanor Parker are a great couple and the story is based on a real Marine's story. John Garfield gives one of his most well-rounded performances. But, that's just my opinion. See what you think.
Mar 04, 08:00AM
Mar 22, 06:00AM

Nobody Lives Forever
Mar 04, 12:00PM

We Were Strangers
Mar 04, 10:00AM

He Ran All the Way
Mar 04, 05:00PM
Apr 12, 10:00PM

Force of Evil
Mar 04, 06:30PM

Humoresque
Mar 24, 03:45PM

Between Two Worlds
Mar 27, 10:30AM
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Thanks for pasting these tantalizing film schedules. (Gotta get this Time Machine to work so I don't have to wait on some of these!)

FALLEN SPARROW isn't available on DVD, it appears. I guess there aren't enough big names in it. After all, that Maureen Woman isn't known... and Walter Slezak only had 90-odd credits, after all. What a slacker...

Hugh Beaumont...
John Banner...

Both of them doing this film well before their TV fame occurred. Who'd possibly be interested in their acting heritage?!!

I'm sure that's it. If ONLY the DVD Gods knew this John fellow and that Maureen woman... tsk tsk... (where IS that Sarcasm font?)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Very funny, Ollie! I'm still hanging on waiting for a John Garfield boxed set, or perhaps a Maureen O'Hara set, but it's looking a bit grim for that one too.

Thanks for mentioning Walter Slezak, a great bad guy in Fallen Sparrow, Lifeboat and Cornered and an even better gemütlich character actor in films like People Will Talk.

Have you ever seen director Carl Theodor Dreyer's Michael (1924) with an incredibly young, slim Herr Slezak? It's a very well done story about an artist (Benjamin Christensen) and his model (Slezak) with an implied homosexual theme, but more to say about the complex life of an artist and his creativity than one might expect. Btw, legendary cinematographer (and occasional director) Karl Freund pops up in this one as an art dealer. It is showing on TCM on Apr 21st at 12:00AM ET.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks