BLUE COLLAR (1978) neo-noir on Retroplex 10/30

Dewey1960

BLUE COLLAR (1978) neo-noir on Retroplex 10/30

Post by Dewey1960 »

One of the most astonishing examples of late 1970s neo-noir is the film BLUE COLLAR, written and directed by Paul Schrader. This incendiary 1978 urban populist drama airs next Tuesday, October 30 on the Retroplex Channel.

As fans of modern films know, Schrader wrote the screenplays for Sidney Pollack's THE YAKUZA (74), Scorsese's TAXI DRIVER (76) and Brian DePalma's OBSESSION (76) before turning to directing; BLUE COLLAR was his directorial debut. Schrader earned further screenwriting kudos for his contributions to two other Scorsese films: RAGING BULL (80) and THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST (88). Subsequent films directed by Schrader include HARDCORE (79), AMERICAN GIGOLO (80), CAT PEOPLE (82), MISHIMA (85), PATTY HEARST (88), LIGHT SLEEPER (92), AFFLICTION (97) and AUTO FOCUS (02).

BLUE COLLAR concerns itself with three Detroit auto workers; Zeke (Richard Pryor), Jerry (Harvey Keitel) and Smokey (Yaphet Kotto). Each of them has their own crushing financial concerns (Zeke and Jerry are family men with mounting bills and no relief in sight; Smokey is a party animal with a lust for cocaine and women) which bond them in a tight knot of friendship. To complicate matters, they belong to a corrupt, ineffectual union that cares nothing for the well being of its members. In a collective moment of desperation, fueled by a night of coke-induced debauchery, they decide to rip off the union office. The following night they break in and make off with the safe. For their efforts they get an envelope with a few hundred dollars in petty cash---and a notebook with the names of high ranking union officials, detailing the nefarious activities they've been engaged in (payoffs, bribes, etc). What starts out as a bumbling and botched robbery attempt turns into a dangerous nightmare of paranoia and pursuit as the cops, the FBI and murderous union goons all converge on the mean streets of Detroit.

This is an exceptionally dark film--as deeply noir as any 40s or 50s potboiler, laced with heavy doses of sardonic and scatalogical humor and unexpected moments of harsh, brutal violence. Its message is bleak and uncompromising and its vision of the American working man as an exploited pawn at the mercy of a deliberately corrupt society is as gutsy as it gets. The three leads are positively phenomenal: Pryor is alternately hilarious and poignant as an angry and frustrated man at the end of his tether; Keitel frighteningly intense in that way he was before he became too well known for it and Yaphet Kotto an absolute marvel as the soulful center of this tragic trio.

I love this film with a passion and perhaps many of you will, too. For those who are disdainful of rampant profanity, the advice here would be to avoid the film. Those who are not put off by this will find BLUE COLLAR to be an enormously entertaining and challenging film.

Retroplex; Tuesday, October 30; 8:00 pm e/p
Last edited by Dewey1960 on October 27th, 2007, 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

DEWABLE

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Dear Dewey,
Well, I will have to catch this film. I enjoy Yaphet Kotto so much.

He evidently was a member of a royal Cameroonian family, moved from Littleton, Colorado, to Canada because he felt the area was becoming increasing more violent, and all this was before Columbine, according to the IMdb.

He gave such a great performance in Brubaker, was in Live and Let Die, Alien, and always was a great detective in film and on television programs. The first time I can remember seeing him anywhere is on an episode of Daniel Boone.

You usually don't promote something unless it is worthwhile.
Thanks, Dew.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey Christy -
I sincerely hope you catch BLUE COLLAR; given your adventurous spirit (and excellent taste!) I think you're likely to enjoy it. I'm a big Yaphet Kotto fan as well. It's a shame that he's forsaken films for television, but I suppose it's been far more lucrative for him. I think BLUE COLLAR provided him his most interesting--if not best--role. It's quite a bit different from what you're accustomed to seeing from him, especially his TV work. I look forward to reading your comments!
-Dewey
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I need to get this channel Dewey. You and Bronxgirl keep talking about the great films showing on it!