I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles

ken123

I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles

Post by ken123 »

Jimmy Cagney in " Public Enemy " is a Chicago Irish ( Heaven Forbid ) mobster with the effervescent Joan Blondell in a smallish role. The ending is one you will never forget. William Wellman Directs. 8)
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Whenever I hear that tune I think of that final scene in the movie. Cagney's Ma humming and fluffing the pillows awaiting his return as his brother goes to open the door...
Another great Warner Brothers gangster movie.
vallo

Post by vallo »

Mae Clark (the grapefruit) was famous for this film and she's (uncredited) One the Warner Bros. best.
Cagney as Tom Powers: I wish you was a wishin' well. So I could tie a bucket to ya and sink ya.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Cagney is a momma's boy here, or so the commentary by Robert Sklar keeps telling us. Cagney's best momma's boy was as Cody Jarrett. in White Heat, directed by Raoul Walsh. :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I also connect the movie and the song. Whenever I hear it, I also hear the "thump" as Cagney's body falls to the floor.

By the way, in Mae Clarke's memoirs she says that Cagney ad libbed that "wishing well" line, which was left in the scene.