The Sea Wolf

ken123

The Sea Wolf

Post by ken123 »

Is a somewhat noirish film directed by Michael Curtiz, from a Jack London story, with the screen play by Robert Rossen. Edward G. in top form, as are John Garfield, Ida Lupino, Gene Lockhart, and Stanley Ridges. :x
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I have mixed feelings about "The Sea wolf." I had first read Jack London's novel, which was terrific until there was this shipwreck and then the characters ended up on an island and a love story flourished. Still, I looked forward to seeing Wolf Larsen on the screen.

I saw the movie, and while the island romance was gone, I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected. Perhaps this was because Larsen's m.o. was the same. He would call someone out on deck in front of the crew, butter them up, and then lower the boom on them. After the second time this happened, I began to think people were stupid for not shooting Larsen the moment he began praising them on deck.

Still, Robinson was very good as Larsen, and it was good to see Barry Fitzgerald in a villainous role.

It might be interesting to double feature "The Sea Wolf" with the Val Lewton "The Ghost Ship," which is about a sea captain who goes mad.
ken123

Re: The Sea Wolf

Post by ken123 »

Eddies film ?