The Big Clock

ken123

The Big Clock

Post by ken123 »

Is one of my favorite Noirs with Ray Milland,Charles Laughton,Elsa Lancaster, and Rita Johnson in top for. Harry Morgan, as publishing tycoon Laughton's "aide" has not one word od dialogue. Rita Johnson's career was cut short by a hair drier accident, she was also great as Robert Young's ill - fated wife in " They Won't Believe Me ", which also had a fine performance by Jane Greer. :wink:
vallo

Post by vallo »

You forgot to mention .The Great George Macready and Maureen O'Sullivan who as we know Ken, was born in Boyle, County Roscommon, Ireland
Directed By John Farrow

vallo
ken123

Post by ken123 »

vallo wrote:You forgot to mention .The Great George Macready and Maureen O'Sullivan who as we know Ken, was born in Boyle, County Roscommon, Ireland
Directed By John Farrow

vallo
Celtic ladies in films,I can't think of anything finer ! Rita Johnson was Irish also Elsa's last name was Sullivan. :wink: .
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

This is one of my all-time favorites, and I find something new in it every time I watch it. I own a copy of this film and I watch it often. Besides the interesting plot, the excellent and literate script, and the great acting, the direction is worth looking at.

Farrow begins with long shots, bright lighting and huge sets to underscore the scope of the Janoth empire, but as things turn bad for the Milland character, the atmosphere turns darker, literally, and the spaces the actors inhabit get smaller and more claustrophobic. Mayhem occurs inside the works of a clock and in an elevator shaft.

I think all the performances are great, but I especially love Harry Morgan's menacing henchman. He gets so much out of every dark look, every flex of muscle (and he was pretty buff in this film) without any dialog at all. Anyone who knows him only from his generally genial TV work will be surprised here.
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: The Big Clock

Post by movieman1957 »

Two years later I catch up with this and it is a terrific film. Laughton is first rate and properly slimy as publishing icon with a bit of a temper and maybe the worst mustache in the history of movies.

I like very much the way Milland plays his role as a "man on the run" who cannot go anywhere. He does well at playing it straight when there are lots or people standing next to him looking for him but they don't know it.

Morgan is fine as the tough guy for, as Judith says, he doesn't say a word and he doesn't let the fact that he is a small guy get in his way.

Best trick is the way Farrow uses climax setting to open the movie before it goes into flashback. It is obvious enough to make you sit up and take notice. It also used a most unusual murder weapon.

While the ending is interesting I wish they had left off the last line spoken by the loopy Elsa Lanchester. I thought it took some of the grit off of the end.

Good stuff.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ken123

Post by ken123 »

The Big Clock will be airing on TCM this Tuesday November 23,*PM (EST ). :D
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

If you haven't seen this one with Ray Milland, try to set your timer if you won't be home. It's a good twist on a murder mystery that should keep you interested throughout.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Can the Laughton, Macready, Morgan characters be read as gay / bi ?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Most definitely, Ken, and the homosexual aspect is dealt with, in veiled terms, in the book. Pauline York's taunting of Janoth in the book, which leads to him killing her, is all about his secret gay life, not about some other woman. He is far more concerned with her outing him than with her jealousy.

Milland's character in the book is pretty rotten as well. I recommend the book, which is a lot darker that this excellent movie. It would be quite interesting to see a contemporary, more accurate version done.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Thank you jdb1. :)