Niagara (1953) + Jean Peters

movieman

Niagara (1953) + Jean Peters

Post by movieman »

All right, Niagara isn't the most exciting thriller you've seen, but I thought I'd start a thread on it anyway. (I guess I started this one on a bad note :) )

I watched it, last night, on the Fox Cinema Classics DVD edition.

There are many cons to this film, but there are also a few pros to it.
Firstly, after some time I found myself drooling over Jean Peters instead of Marilyn Monroe. I found her more interesting and sexy than that, excuse my choose of term, 'blonde bimbo'.
Peters' got more screen time than Monroe (thankfully). Monroe has never been a favourite of mine.
Max Showalter as Peters' husband was very annoying.

The DVD reviewer Colin Jacobson agrees with me on this:

"Peters is lovely but insubstantial as Polly; frankly, I think she’s much prettier and sexier than Monroe, but she does little to distinguish herself as an actress. Still, that tops Showalter, who offers such an annoying presence as Ray that I continually hoped he’d go over the Falls himself!" (http://www.dvdmg.com/niagara.shtml)

Yes, Mrs. Elizabeth Jean Peters got my attention. It's a funny thing 'cause I've seen her in both Anne of the Indies (1951) and Vicki (1953).
The reason may be that she's 'over the top' in AOTI and in Vicki she didn't get my attention. I was waiting for Jeanne Crain to come on screen. Vicki is a lame movie no matter what.

Yesterday, I did a search on Peters on the net and the only interesting piece of writing I found on her was this ("Jackal's film corner" on FilmJournal.net) :
http://filmjournal.net/jackalsfilmcorne ... ding-lady/

I suggest you read it. It's very interesting.

While I'm at it, the Jackal has written a little piece on Anne of the Indies: http://filmjournal.net/jackalsfilmcorne ... dies-1951/

Well, let's get back to Niagara. Joseph Cotten was very good as Marilyn's jealous husband. I don't blame him. I ended up feeling sorry for him, I guess we're supposed to to. I wish he'd have Peters in place of Monroe. Marilyn brought him nothing but trouble.
Next, I wonder what Peters saw in Max Showalter. That constant smiling and laughing...blah!

The grand location of Niagara falls is thrilling and according to Sylvia Stoddard in the DVD's booklet:
"In order to keep the camera lens free of water drops and mist during filming at the falls, a lens that could be kept dry and clear in any kind of weather was developed at a cost of $10,000. It was dubbed the "Whirling Dervish" because it consisted of a high-speed 12-blade fan placed over the lens and synchronized with the shutter on a principle similar to that of an airplane propeller and a machine gun. Cinematographer Joe MacDonald predicted it would be in wide use shortly and was worthy of a technical achievement Oscar®."

So, what are your thoughts on Niagara and Jean Peters?

Sincerely

Even B
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I don't recall exactly where this film was 'in' Marilyn's career - what films preceded it, what followed it. I thought it was a decent enough film for her - she was at the center of the storm of happenings, but there were plenty of other storms swirling to share among Jean Peters, Cotton, etc.

But it doesn't get high ratings from me.

When I've watched this repeatedly, I've wondered if I might have given this film higher marks without all those 'distracting' characters. What if it was more Marilyn-centric? (Which is not something I'd typically enjoy, frankly.)

Or what if she was swapped out with Jean - could Marilyn have done Jean's role? I think not. Jean - as you pointed out - was certainly capable of Marilyn's femme fatale, and probably given it a far sharper edge.

I think "Marilyn Herself" might be my weak-link in this film. Maybe I never gave her (or her characters) credit for being at the center of deeds, but rather her characters always seemed to be 'merely' victimized or swept along.

And in this tale, I think her character needed to be a Lana Turner-esque thinker - someone with a more sinister look, someone able to give a self-satisfying smile when she hangs up the phone with the boyfriend murderer.

Or maybe I needed a more sinister boyfriend - someone who 'plucked' the dear innocent Marilyn and always wanted to get rid of Cotton for any reason - his money, whatever.

(On a sidenote, your "VICKI is lame anyway" comment strikes a chord, too. That film is insteresting in its banality, and I've always assumed it suffered because of MY previous history with at least one other great film with most of those same story points.)
movieman

Post by movieman »

I totally agree with you, Ollie. Marilyn lacks what Lana Turner had in The Postman Always Rings Twice.

The film has loads of beautiful cinematography where it lacks in suspense.
When Cotten chased Monroe in the bell tower I just sat there thinking "this is not suspenseful, I hope she gets what she deserves".
One point in it's lack of suspense was that I couldn't identify with Monroe's fear. In addition to this, Mr. Cotten didn't look/feel frightening.
It's a beautifully filmed scene, but has no sting.

Even B
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

MM, I think you stated the true issue: lack of suspense where other films in this genre can accomplish that element in the same circumstance.

Marilyn's evening dance-fest and obvious dismissal of Cotton doesn't earn her (or him!) any "grace points" but seeing her conspiracy later doesn't really make me dislike her character. She's just not "mean" or sinister enough.

And as you pointed out, the scenes where suspense SHOULD exist, I'm practically tapping my fingers, looking at my watch, muttering "c'mon, c'mon, let's move this thing along..." And on rewatching those moments, I almost feel they're tedious instead.

But Cotton is someone I almost always enjoy, so I watch the film. Marilyn's in a good untypical-of-Marilyn role (as in DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK).

And I like NIAGARA's tale being told from two other's viewpoints for the most part. It's not quite a total "from outside looking in" aspect, but these are reasons I re-watch this film. Your reasons are probably why I don't rate it as highly as I "want" to, I suspect.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I am a huge Jean Peters fan. I love her spunkiness in trying to figure things out. Marilyn coming out of her motel room with a record for the teeny boppers to play...whew!!! Hot! You'd need a Niagara Falls to put out her heat.

I've read some didn't like her in this. That's okay. The more for me.

LOVED Jean Peters in "BLUEPRINT FOR MURDER." She didn't do the Sharon Stone 'cross your legs' move...but she was compelling nonetheless. Love Jean.